Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 07:27 AM

407 posts, read 370,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It IS a viable option. You just politely ask (perhaps in an email) if anyone is willing to switch with you. If no one is, you must work on the 26th. It is that simple. I am completely unsure why this is even a thread.
This. Ask around and see if someone will switch. If no one will, no trip (or fly that evening) - it's not that complicated.

And, honestly, no way in heck I'd drive 9 hours one way for a Friday-Sunday trip. Totally flight worthy, IMHO.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:08 AM

73 posts, read 52,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It IS a viable option. You just politely ask (perhaps in an email) if anyone is willing to switch with you. If no one is, you must work on the 26th. It is that simple. I am completely unsure why this is even a thread.
Thank you. The concern was making myself look bad if I did that.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
I can do that, but this is a 9 hour car drive. Not sure how to work remotely.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to fly?

Old 07-03-2019, 11:15 AM

6,828 posts, read 11,560,093 times
Quote:
Thank you. The concern was making myself look bad if I did that.
What you look like is someone who doesn’t understand the priorities (if you want to be treated professionally). Work, then vacation. I’d save the swapping for a more important event than a weekend trip.

The only way, imo, for this to be even remotely acceptable would have been if the trip was scheduled prior to the work sign-ups, and then, as soon as you saw the only date left was in conflict with the trip, immediately try to find someone to switch with. Not long after the fact.

Remember just because your boss says they “have no problem with it”, your poor planning and inability to grasp basic work/attendance responsibilities WILL be remembered.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,143,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Do I understand correctly that you planned your vacation departing on July 26 after you signed up to work on July 26?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post: If you knew you had to work, it was your mistake to plan the trip.
OP, answer the question:
If you signed up in MAY and knew in MAY you had to work on a given day in July....WHY then in June did you plan to be off on a day your already knew you had to work?

You initially presented this as I'd planed a trip, and then found out I had to work on a day I'd planned to be off.
THEN, you said, well....actually I knew I'd have to work that day and planned the trip anyway.

IF you'd HOPED to be able to plan a trip, but had NOT asked for that day in advance, and then it turns out you'll have to work ....either you postpone the trip by a day....OR ask someone to cover for you.

You've said people don't like you. Then others presumed that means you're on think ice at work. What exactly IS the situation? But whatever the situation is......

...it's not that deep. Ask, see if someone will work for you. Either someone will, or they won't. If they say they don't know or they're not sure. Give them a date by which you need to know. And then decide what you're going to do.

Last edited by selhars; 07-03-2019 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
What you look like is someone who doesn’t understand the priorities (if you want to be treated professionally). Work, then vacation. I’d save the swapping for a more important event than a weekend trip.

The only way, imo, for this to be even remotely acceptable would have been if the trip was scheduled prior to the work sign-ups, and then, as soon as you saw the only date left was in conflict with the trip, immediately try to find someone to switch with. Not long after the fact.

Remember just because your boss says they “have no problem with it”, your poor planning and inability to grasp basic work/attendance responsibilities WILL be remembered.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, answer the question:
If you signed up in MAY and knew in MAY you had to work on a given day in July....WHY then in June did you plan to be off on a day your already knew you had to work?

You initially presented this as I'd planed a trip, and then found out I had to work on a day I'd planned to be off.
THEN, you said, well....actually I knew I'd have to work that day and planned the trip anyway.

IF you'd HOPED to be able to plan a trip, but had NOT asked for that day in advance, and then it turns out you'll have to work ....either you postpone the trip by a day....OR ask someone to cover for you.

You've said people don't like you. Then others presumed that means you're on think ice at work. What exactly IS the situation? But whatever the situation is......

...it's not that deep. Ask, see if someone will work for you. Either someone will, or they won't. If they say they don't know or they're not sure. Give them a date by which you need to know. And then decide what you're going to do.
I guess if all this information is really that important at this point...

Back in May or so, there was a trip planned in the works. However, I wasn’t aware of any plans on what to do. Last minute, they told me they were driving early that day. As in this week when nothing else was set in stone.

Also to note, at the End of May, when things were being planned, my boss sent out an email to sign up for days. Since I was in a meeting, everyone else signed up before me and I had to choose those two days.

This left me in this situation.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Quote:
I guess if all this information is really that important at this point...

Back in May or so, there was a trip planned in the works. However, I wasn’t aware of any plans on what to do. Last minute, they told me they were driving early that day. As in this week when nothing else was set in stone.

Also to note, at the End of May, when things were being planned, my boss sent out an email to sign up for days. Since I was in a meeting, everyone else signed up before me and I had to choose those two days.

This left me in this situation.
It looks like work schedule was confirmed before your plans were set in stone. I would have mentioned to the other travelers that you won't be able to leave until after work.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:00 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,143,030 times
Yes. The bottom line is the OP knew the work schedule before finalizing the vacation plans -- or trying to finalize, since even now supposedly the plans are set in stone.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:37 AM

1,299 posts, read 824,356 times
I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to shoot out an e-mail to anyone who could possibly switch with you. Maybe someone would rather work your days, because their plans changed? You might be doing someone a favour.

But only you know your work culture, and how this would be received. If you're unsure, perhaps it's better to suck it up this time and just quietly do your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment