Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 06:56 AM

845 posts, read 1,356,070 times

Advertisements

I started working at a Hotdog joint for the summer, a second I really don't need but the owner has asked me to help her. I started working on the inside, cash register and making the hotdogs. Now, the only thing that is left is to Carhop. Usually this is left to the teenage girls, or the tall attractive guys, but I can't say I won't ever work as a carhop.

I'm not very attractive (this is just my opinion) but I'm not ugly; I can be funny, outgoing, charming and I'm always there to work. I'm not an 16 - 19 year-old high school/college girl, who can get $5-10 tips just by walking up to the car. I have to find something that I can do that will separate me from the rest of the crew. So far I don't have any ideas, and Googling this topic is not very plentiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,305,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I started working at a Hotdog joint for the summer, a second I really don't need but the owner has asked me to help her. I started working on the inside, cash register and making the hotdogs. Now, the only thing that is left is to Carhop. Usually this is left to the teenage girls, or the tall attractive guys, but I can't say I won't ever work as a carhop.

I'm not very attractive (this is just my opinion) but I'm not ugly; I can be funny, outgoing, charming and I'm always there to work. I'm not an 16 - 19 year-old high school/college girl, who can get $5-10 tips just by walking up to the car. I have to find something that I can do that will separate me from the rest of the crew. So far I don't have any ideas, and Googling this topic is not very plentiful.
Do you have to work as a carhop?

I don't think you need a "niche" so much as you need to be quick, friendly, and accurate.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:10 AM

845 posts, read 1,356,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Do you have to work as a carhop?

I don't think you need a "niche" so much as you need to be quick, friendly, and accurate.
No, I can say it won't happen a lot. Actually it might be pretty rare. There are only a few places in the restaurant that I can work, out of a only a few positions.

I only said this because if I do I'll have to work a lot harder to make tips, versus what my other co-workers will have to do.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:14 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,305,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
No, I can say it won't happen a lot. Actually it might be pretty rare. There are only a few places in the restaurant that I can work, out of a only a few positions.

I only said this because if I do I'll have to work a lot harder to make tips, versus what my other co-workers will have to do.
Then honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

Unless you're working somewhere that's like Hooters, you should focus on being fast and friendly. The carhops at my local Sonic aren't beauty queens, and I don't tip them based on youth or appearance but on job performance.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:18 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,786,126 times
You mean niche, not nich

Old 07-07-2019, 08:26 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,265,758 times
Do you even know what you want to do? Sounds like you don't.

Take the Myers-Briggs test. Plenty of free ones online. Then google "jobs for ISTJ's" (or whatever personality type you are) and then see what jobs could interest you.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:55 AM

740 posts, read 465,645 times
You need to expand your knowledge and skills and go find better opportunities.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:44 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,807,809 times
If you want to stay at this job then IMO the best thing you can do is do your job well. If the owner asks you to do an extra task say yes. If you have some free time ask her if there is anything else that needs done. Do you have an idea to improve a process or solve a problem? Share it with the owner.

Sometimes the most valuable employee isn't the one that has a special talent. It's the one who does whatever he/she is assigned to do well and looks for and does contribute in other ways.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:24 PM

13,015 posts, read 19,001,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
You mean niche, not nich
Obviously not in proof reading!

Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM

341 posts, read 288,542 times
If marrying a rich guy is not in your plans, then make yourself in demand: learn skills that will get you jobs. OR if you have sales skill, go into sales. They can make a LOT of money with minimum education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment