Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 01:13 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Allow any individual employee at a unionized company the option to leave the union, not pay dues, and not receive benefits from the union, and I'm 100% behind them. If a person thinks they can do better negotiating for themselves, they should be free to do so in that company.

Only a fool negotiates without the power of collective bargaining when that is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 01:18 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Unions also protect excellent workers. IF you have a chance to join a union, go for it.

Since most unionized employees are in government jobs with security, I would bet that the divorce rate is much lower in the government job.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:50 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Only a fool negotiates without the power of collective bargaining when that is available.
I personally think a motivated, intelligent person would be a fool to settle for a collective bargaining agreement when they could negotiate for better outside of a union.

That being said, do you have a problem giving people the option to opt-out of collective bargaining in a unionized company? If unions do provide a better deal, giving people the option to join or leave wouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
While I can agree with your second sentence, I can't agree with the first. The eighties saw excellent pensions and the seventies saw health insurance that was fully paid for. That has changed. The first thing was that the full pension with health insurance was replaced with a 401K with a 3% match. Now, if health insurance is not being withdrawn entirely, the employee is certainly paying a larger chunk of it.
What's wrong with a 401k? It's my retirement. Why shouldn't I save for it? It's my health insurance. Why shouldn't I pay for it? The group rates are cheaper than paying independently.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:58 PM

515 posts, read 359,867 times
If you have a union, be grateful. Companies do not want any kind of democratizing force in the workplace. Why do people think that companies spend so much time and effort to stop unions? A union gives workers a seat at the table. That is unacceptable. Management has to have complete say over salary, benefits, everything, period. If you don't like it, get out. A lesson I had to learn the hard way, unfortunately.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:13 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Unions also protect excellent workers.

Not always, but they certainly should. I was in one that hung me out to dry when I was being falsely accused, abused, and unlawfully retaliated against. And while that left a very bitter taste in my mouth (they've done it to others since me), I am pro-union and became a steward in another union after that to make sure what happened to me doesn't happen to someone else. And I'll quit my position before I'd defend the most useless bum we have. Fortunately he's not really a union guy, but he could become one if he ever gets caught doing what he does. I'd like to toss him to the wolves myself.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:29 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Unions also protect excellent workers. IF you have a chance to join a union, go for it.
Exactly. There are hard-working, knowledgeable workers, but they are not good at socializing, flattering the management, and they are disliked by some insecure, disrespectful and unfair managers. There are some managers who micromanage employees by their own personal feelings. Those employees who are not strong at talking and if they are disliked by that kind of managers, they could have hard times and lose their job easily. The Union is there to speak up for them and protect them. I like Union. I'm glad I'm in the Union. I know I'm a good worker, I'm very knowledgeable about my job, I work hard and I rarely, rarely called in sick, I'm nice with my co-workers. Except I don't like small talks so much, what does a manager expect from an employee like me?

Yes, there are good and bad, excellent and mediocre workers in the union; so are there in the non-union. There are all kinds of people in every walk of life. And there are many managers who are not as good as ordinary employees (I underlined ordinary word because managers actually are just employees working for the company too); they become managers just because they know how to talk to make the higher-up feel good and/or most of people don't care to apply for the position, and they apply so they get it. Many people just want to do a good job and go home. Many people don't want to babysit big, whining babies at work. Many people want to have a title, a little bit more money and have power so they can show off and bully others. Everything happens for a reason. Everybody is different.

I do agree that there are many very good leaders and managers who are knowledgeable, respectful, fair, helpful and supportive to the employees. They want to step up to take more responsibilities, to make a difference, to change the workplace to be better for everyone to work. I do have a few leaders and managers who are very selfless and lead with example. I really admire and respect them.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 07-06-2019 at 03:39 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 04:57 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Allow any individual employee at a unionized company the option to leave the union, not pay dues, and not receive benefits from the union, and I'm 100% behind them. If a person thinks they can do better negotiating for themselves, they should be free to do so in that company.
Totally agree.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:06 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I was so glad to be promoted years ago and no longer eligible for the "mandatory" union membership at my place of employment. It saved me the wasted union dues, I performed and negotiated my own salary and rewards, and I never looked back.

Unions are there now to prop up "those that can't or won't". Don't need them. I would much rather fend for myself.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:39 PM

531 posts, read 452,335 times
The last union job I had was at a GE plant where they had moved a production line to Mexico and had to hire temps like me to take up the slack while the Mexican factory was getting started. What the union was concerned about was getting more money from the people who were left to make up for the dues they lost by jobs going across the border. Not a word about NAFTA, getting the jobs back, getting another product line. Getting the money was what they were there for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment