Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 PM

96 posts, read 76,103 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for chiming in. Maybe I really do just need to grow a thicker skin and go the in house legal route vs a big firm. Can anyone advise about ABA backed schools vs the ones that are not. I already have an associates, am working on finishing my bachelors and want to go the certificate route. Does it really matter which school? Are there certain things I should be looking for? I see that there are Career Institute type schools that offer a Paralegal Certificate starting from $800 dollars to other online colleges offering a certificate for up to $3,000 dollars. Does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,413,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGuacomole View Post
Thanks so much for chiming in. Maybe I really do just need to grow a thicker skin and go the in house legal route vs a big firm. Can anyone advise about ABA backed schools vs the ones that are not. I already have an associates, am working on finishing my bachelors and want to go the certificate route. Does it really matter which school? Are there certain things I should be looking for? I see that there are Career Institute type schools that offer a Paralegal Certificate starting from $800 dollars to other online colleges offering a certificate for up to $3,000 dollars. Does it really matter?
Consider the fact that there is no legal requirement for a paralegal to be certified, as there is in many other occupations like teaching, healthcare, etc. Even manicurists at salons have to get state certification to work. Paralegals don't have to be certified, unless the employer insists on it. So no, I wouldn't pay 3 grand for a certification program for a paralegal. I'd do the cheapest one I could find. I'd bet most lawyers would prefer someone with experience over someone with just a certificate. Getting experience working for a law firm would probably be more valuable.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:33 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,239,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Old and slow here. What is an ISFJ?
ISFJ refers to one of the personalities on the Myers-Briggs scale. It stands for Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging and is sometimes called the "Defender" or "Protector" personality.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:22 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,241,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGuacomole View Post
I have am very interested in the law and think that the Paralegal path might be one I would like to pursue. The problem is that I have never really gotten along very well with lawyers.
Then you're done here. Time to choose another career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment