Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:06 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,687,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I see more and more workplaces that have you take a shuttle from their parking lot to your office.

To me, that's additional time added to your commute.

Suppose the shuttle runs on a 10 minute interval and takes 5 minutes to drop you off at your office. That's potentially an additional 30 minutes added to your daily commute.

Personally, in this case, I'd just take rideshare to work everyday and go on my laptop while being driven. Yes, my wallet will take a hit but the additional step of taking a shuttle to and from the office is my tipping point.

I'm not sure I understand the point of the question.

It sounds like your employer has a really big and/or really far-away parking lot. You appear to have decided that your time is more valuable than your money, which is a very fair assessment for you to make. But what difference does it make if someone else values their money more, and chooses to walk or wait for a shuttle?

If this is such a burden, you can always quit and take a job that has closer parking. But nobody here can tell you the "right" answer. My "commute" is walking down the stairs, stopping at the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. That information doesn't help you. There are also some people who get dropped off by helicopter to save them the time and trouble of a commute, but that doesn't help you either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 PM

1,274 posts, read 852,785 times
I've seen this at MSP airport. Wouldn't be surprised if other large airports are similar. I've also heard that a large employer in a very small NW Minnesota town operates shuttle buses from Grand Forks, ND, but that's a unique case.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,939,003 times
I'm still not 100% sure I see the point of this thread. A lot of workplaces don't have free parking on site for employees. You either take public transit, walk, rent a parking space, whatever. Not a big deal.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,936 posts, read 82,014,674 times
Here in Seattle and Redmond, several companies like Microsoft, Starbucks, and Amazon have their own buses that pick up at various locations and take people to one of their campuses.
The advantage is that the bus goes right to where they work. If I take a public transit bus to work, I have to walk a mile at the other end, no bus goes all the way down to my office.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:39 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,351,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
And please enlighten us how your situation generalizes to everyone else's.

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, seeing as how 99.9% of workers don't have to shuttle from employer parking lot to office.

You ask why bother driving to work, instead using the option of using rideshare. While it may be feasible to you, don't project that to others. 5 years ago I had a 40 mile commute each way. Rideshare would have cost $100+ per day. For some, it may not even be available.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,265,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Why bother going to work at all?
Because we're not billionaires.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:34 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,246,120 times
This thread exemplifies why I refuse to work for an employer with an office located in the suburbs. I love the fact that I can roll out of bed at 8:00, shower, leave my apartment by 8:15, walk two minutes to the subway stop, take either the local or express train, and arrive at my desk between 8:30 and 8:35, greeted by views of my city's skyline from high up in my building. I would absolutely HATE to drive to a suburban office park each day!

Old 07-19-2019, 07:22 AM

10,645 posts, read 12,243,990 times
^^ If you want to live and work in the city that's fine. But that hasn't nothing to do with a short commute and is not reason to dis the "suburban office park." (As it seems to me you're doing...unless I misread you.)

In some cities -- such as Philly -- driving or using public transit -- depending on how far you are from work you still could not get to work in about a half hour. So your short commute has to do with how close you live to work -- NOT whether that job is in a city or suburban location.

People who work in a suburban office park -- but live near there, could have a shorter commute than you do. They also could roll out of bed at 8:00, shower, leave their apartment by 8:15, drive and arrive at their desk between 8:30 and 8:35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment