Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:09 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,585,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I keep being told I should move to Vancouver to learn more about the moviemaking business, but the cost living is so high there, that it's hard to find a job that is high paying enough to live there.

I keep being told by others just get any job you can, even if it means working at McDonalds or something like that, but working at McDonald's or a place like that doesn't pay enough for the cost of living in the places available there, even the less costly ones.

So I how is it that people who work at low paying jobs there afford to live there? The people working retail for example, or fast food, which doesn't pay much, must have a lot of money saved up to help pay the bills over the years, or something is not computing.

Is there something I am overlooking as to how I can live in a place like that?
If you want to work in the motion picture business, your sacrifices should be targeted toward a job in the industry. Don't waste your time working somewhere else even if you have a lower paying job offer for a studio or a production company. The learning experience and the contacts are the most important thing.

Shared housing, low-income housing, and subsidized bus fares for low-income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 11:36 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
A lot doubling up, public transit, and living as low as possible.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:39 AM

130,511 posts, read 12,138,084 times
Quote:
Oh okay. I'm in my 30s. I am heavily considering making a movie, but I was told that my money is better spent learning under pros.

However, whenever a movie is being shot, and I apply saying I will do whatever they want on set and just want to learn and gain experience, they often say they will get back to me, when shooting starts about it, but then they never do. I will send emails just to see but they don't email me back until after production is wrapped.

They say that they bot so busy that they totally forgot to email me back about it, and that's understandable, since it can be a really busy process, and you are not going to think of getting back to inviting everyone to the sets who want to learn.

So if I were to move to Vancouver, I hope it's better there than it is here for that, but I was told by friends that it should be, since it's Vancouver, and a lot movies are made there.

Are you saying, you have enough money to fund a movie? In that case, I don't see why you can't rent a room somewhere & live cheaply ( no take outs) for a while to follow your dream. Your choice. Nothing is guaranteed in life.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
Quote:
Oh okay, well the problem with working say two or three jobs, is that if I want to learn more about the filmmaking business and get on sets, I will not have time to work three jobs, probably not even two, with all the shooting schedules I would have to attend.

Working on sets could pay too, but not sure if they would pay enough, especially if I am willing to volunteer to get on for some.
You absolutely can get a job waiting tables nights and weekends to be able to afford to live.

Everyone sacrifices at the beginning of their career. How many actors have you heard of had multiple jobs AND roommates when starting in the business.

Pay. Your. Dues.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:09 PM

515 posts, read 360,713 times
Quote:
Oh okay. I'm in my 30s. I am heavily considering making a movie, but I was told that my money is better spent learning under pros.

However, whenever a movie is being shot, and I apply saying I will do whatever they want on set and just want to learn and gain experience, they often say they will get back to me, when shooting starts about it, but then they never do. I will send emails just to see but they don't email me back until after production is wrapped.

They say that they bot so busy that they totally forgot to email me back about it, and that's understandable, since it can be a really busy process, and you are not going to think of getting back to inviting everyone to the sets who want to learn.

So if I were to move to Vancouver, I hope it's better there than it is here for that, but I was told by friends that it should be, since it's Vancouver, and a lot movies are made there.

I must say I am a bit surprised anybody would want to go into film. I worked in the TV field for 10 years. I finally got out of the business, got a job with a pension and it was the best thing I ever did. No more nights and weekends and holidays off. The media field has been destroyed by the internet and technology. Anybody can make films and commercials themselves with a HD camera and a macbook. I bet for $5000 you could get all the equipment you need. Write the script yourself and actors will work for free if you give them credits. So if you want to make a movie, there is nothing stopping you. But check out youtube and you will see how many people make videos. I don't want to be too negative but the media field is an uphill climb that most people will not succeed at.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:53 PM

480 posts, read 317,327 times
Move to New Mexico, lots of film going on here. Much cheaper to live as well.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,075,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Are you saying, you have enough money to fund a movie? In that case, I don't see why you can't rent a room somewhere & live cheaply ( no take outs) for a while to follow your dream. Your choice. Nothing is guaranteed in life.
Oh I was talking about working on other people's movie productions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I must say I am a bit surprised anybody would want to go into film. I worked in the TV field for 10 years. I finally got out of the business, got a job with a pension and it was the best thing I ever did. No more nights and weekends and holidays off. The media field has been destroyed by the internet and technology. Anybody can make films and commercials themselves with a HD camera and a macbook. I bet for $5000 you could get all the equipment you need. Write the script yourself and actors will work for free if you give them credits. So if you want to make a movie, there is nothing stopping you. But check out youtube and you will see how many people make videos. I don't want to be too negative but the media field is an uphill climb that most people will not succeed at.
Oh okay yeah I could make a movie myself and hope to it finds success and hope to get noticed that way too. Sometimes I feel that getting on other people's shoots to see how things are done will only get me so far...

Old 07-17-2019, 12:16 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Many various ways and some do all, all do some. Some group together like the T.V. show Friends. Others live with their parents, other family or a partner. Some work multiple jobs. Some do gig work live Fiver, Uber/Lyft, taxi, elance, etc. Some strip or work as a waiter/waitress in a strip club. Many forgo cars if the metro area has a good public transportation system. Many squeeze every penny and shop at thrift stores, and dollar stores. Some even dumpster dive (not suggested BTW.) There are MANY ways that can go.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:29 AM

235 posts, read 157,802 times
My former co-worker, a cafeteria dishwasher, lived in a $1500 a month 1 bedroom apartment paid by his family. That came as a big shock to me. Once he came over and visited me. I was living in a $800 a month living room without furniture. I didn't have a bed and slept on the floor. No TV or Internet.

This was in Los Angeles. I noticed my old room's rent had increased to $950 a month. The building was across the street from a soup kitchen and next door to a gas station with a very loud car wash. Bad neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:52 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,599,523 times
There are many other places that have lower living costs, than Vancouver, where you could learn various skills in the movie business. Start by searching your own home town, wherever that is. You might get yourself an inexpensive camcorder and start shooting and editing some things that interest you. Chances are that if you learn to do a good job with a cheap camera, you'll later be able to do well with professional equipment. Use a smartphone, if nothing else is feasible. Avoid people who will promise you the chance to learn the job, but in fact, will just use you for cheap or volunteer labor and not teach you much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment