Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:11 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times

Advertisements

How much pay drop you got when moving out of Silicon Valley? As an engineer or scientist. I am not talking about low end jobs like car salesman. Engineer, scientist, finance manager, biologist, surgeon...
There is a drop expected, but some employers in Florida expect to pay 60% less than I'm making now. My friend is going to Austin TX and expecting 25% drop, he just had the interview. One guy interviewing on the east coast was told to accept a 70% drop, he didn't take the job.
The thing with the lowball, is when a company wants to import a known expert and pay him as much as they pay their fresh grad from the local community college. Like expertise is for free. Even the few local experts at those companies are paid more, but they think when an expert is relocating then it is on the expert to give everything up, and no constraints on the company. Basically saying start your career from scratch again. They want to boost their company by few million dollars extra sales due to better products and services, but they don't want to pay any cost of it. Hopefully this does not explain every company.

I am especially asking people who has done this move already, no speculations from other people about how they also want to discount highly skilled people. Please indicate which state you moved to, and how much % the salary drop was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 06:59 PM

277 posts, read 306,249 times
I didn't get a drop. I took my job with me... I had to travel back to HQ a few times a quarter. They actually gave me a raise when I moved.

Then, I got a new job which pays me more than the Bay Area one.

I live in a Denver, Colorado suburb.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:16 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
It was years ago, but about 50% when I moved to Colorado Springs. But that was at a time when you could afford to make that move to the Springs and still come out ahead. Now days there have been so many that moved from California, they've driven Colorado prices up too high.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:31 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Who cares if your pay drops. Your cost of living drops BIG TIME. Since Silicon Valley COL is 3x the rest of America, even if you take a 50% pay cut you're way ahead.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
How much pay drop (can be expected) when moving out of...
How much of a drop can your ego tolerate? How much is actually affordable?

Start with some objective COL comparisons like the one that BANKRATE offers:
A $150,000 life in SV (San Fran etc) will cost ~$79,000 in the Atlanta area
Even less in Tampa at ~$77,000. Here in the Piedmont ~$80,000.
The DC metro comes in at ~$125,000; the Boston metro at ~$122,000
Manhattan about pegs the meter at ~$195,000.

Of course the single largest variable between locations are the real estate related costs.
The subtext being that the high salary is less about skill level than recognition of that higher home cost.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:06 AM

732 posts, read 968,311 times
I have an example but not what you may want or are looking for. I know somebody that left silicon valley to take a position overseas with a company that also operates in California too of course. They felt the 50%+ pay cut was still really good to live and work near the overseas plant and operations since one can live really well on those amounts in other countries.

A few co workers at one job had moved to near Phoenix, AZ for something like a 60% pay of CA, but that was many years ago and just what I remember them saying roughly speaking.

Florida is real low, most companies have pulled out for many reasons. FL was going to be another great engineering area and I had a company there doing engineering services for 20 years, but so many companies moved out. Not the best destination for anything science or engineering. Tourism or travel industry sure, engineering no. The engineering companies all closed there, and I closed my business and retired basically because of that.

Last edited by TestEngr; 07-18-2019 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-18-2019, 08:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
No need for a pay drop if you're in the $100k-$150k range. Plenty of IT roles. If you're above that, you'll have to target higher level roles to get comparable salary.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
There is a drop expected, but some employers in Florida expect to pay 60% less than I'm making now.

Ask them what makes your work worth so much less.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
If it's within the same company usually they have COL pay grades. For me between the southeast and northeast or west coast the difference wasn't much - maybe 10% or 15%.
They offered me a job near Boston or Seattle for 15% more I think it was, maybe less. My 2,000 square foot house here cost $150,000. In Boston or Seattle that would be close to a million. Yeah, no I won't move. I have a highly compensated job in one of the lowest COL areas of the country and live like a king (I work remotely).
You almost always come out ahead when going to a low COL part of the country.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:18 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You almost always come out ahead when going to a low COL part of the country.
That's the thing, I think some companies want to get all of the COL gain for themselves. The other thing is offering basically mid range title for a very senior candidate to further drop the price, but of course the work expected would be the most senior level within their team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
Florida is real low, most companies have pulled out for many reasons. FL was going to be another great engineering area and I had a company there doing engineering services for 20 years, but so many companies moved out. Not the best destination for anything science or engineering. Tourism or travel industry sure, engineering no. The engineering companies all closed there, and I closed my business and retired basically because of that.
If you have time, could you tell more about this story? What exactly happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment