Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 01:37 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Biggest worry is on the financial end. Have a feeling that $120k won't go very far in the DMV.
You have to stay away from the D and V (and the M near them) end of things.
https://www.trulia.com/p/md/baltimor...28--2090536983
https://www.trulia.com/p/md/millersv...08--2019392967
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,563,641 times
Quote:
You read my mind perfectly TestEngr. Biggest worry is on the financial end. Have a feeling that $120k won't go very far in the DMV.
So how much do you think you need for the area?

$120k should be a solid middle class salary there regardless. More so with you being a single guy because you don't have family obligations for children

If you are comparing it to your current job, same salary, it isn't exactly the same. Government compensation offsets salary with pension (FERS is pre-funded for the position so salary is calculated with that in mind).

So with the govt job, you're "saving" $30k/year for retirement, based on what it would take to replicate it if you saved it on your own. So it's really a $150k job vs $120k job. Or a $120k vs a $90k job if you had to save $30k on your own.

If nothing else, you could take the job, then move away from DC. By the time you move away, you would have gone up a step or two which stays with you when you move away even if you lose the COLA.

another thing to ask about, is the salary based on what they told you or what you see from the grade/step? Because some jobs are on special pay rates, (outside of COLA). You can find these on OPM's site. For example, because we are having a hard time filling positions, the job series here has an additional 12% above what it would have been even considering the COLA.

with your history of being a former fed, its nice having the former years add towards retirement, so it isn't starting at the bottom rung. You go back in as a fed with more vacation hours based on years worked too.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM

732 posts, read 971,437 times
Looks like MLSFan has some good points (till it changes with marriage and kids) and MrRational found some reasonable places to buy. There you go, accept the job...

Old 07-18-2019, 03:59 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,551,555 times
Where do you want to be in 5 years? 10 years? Do what gets you closer to that goal.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,774,203 times
"Gig" is not a synonym for employment.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:38 PM

30 posts, read 17,812 times
If you are starting at a GS-14, Step 1, realize that in 3 to 4 years you will be at Step 4 which is about $10K more per year. And a lot of agencies, especially those well funded like the NSA, give bonuses too.

And if you ever want to live and work overseas, maybe the NSA can provide that opportunity for you (or you can transfer to another agency).

Old 07-19-2019, 07:29 AM

10,622 posts, read 12,167,534 times
Quote:
Have a feeling that $120k won't go very far in the DMV.
I lived and work in the DC area (worked in DC /lived in MD) and "how far" that salary will go totally depends on your lifestyle. I lived fairly well on less.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,901,754 times
Wait until AFTER August 30 (or actually, I think September 30) to accept an offer (although that may not be realistic) so you know there is a budget and you will get to go to work. As divisive as this Congress is, shutdowns or near-shutdowns with continuous CRs have been very common the last few years. There is nothing more demoralizing and embarassing as being used as pawns, and not being able to go to work or know when you'll get paid. The last shutdown, on tv you saw federal workers lined up at food banks and packing job fairs to get substitute teacher jobs. People who quit their previous jobs to accept federal jobs only to be shutdown for nearly 2 months, really got it bad.

If it weren't for the constant threats of shutdowns, I would definitely consider a federal job, although I much prefer Chicago over DC (I grew up in the DC area). Ft. Meade is not the most interesting location for a single person in your late 30's. Although, you could live somewhere like Columbia (a very nice suburb), have an easy commute, and still be able access DC or Baltimore on the weekends.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:19 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,901,754 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Would love to get some advice. I'm a single male. Late 30's. Work in the tech sector for a company that is allowing me to work 100% from home.

Just received a job offer from the NSA for a GS-14 role in Fort Meade. Starting pay around $120k mark.
I'm current making about the same in my remote gig.
[*]Also the cost of living is much higher than where I am currently located.

Thanks.
Cost of living is not high in Ft. Meade, MD. You are around Laurel, Odenton, Glen Burnie. When people mention the DMV and high COL, they are usually referring to DC and Montogmery County/Northern Virginia. Ft. Meade and that area is much more blue collar, and not surprisingly, much lower COL. Cost of living around Ft. Meade is likely lower than most major metro areas. Again, from a social perspective, it is also a much more blue-collar type of area. Not that, that matters, just making you aware since you mentioned you aren't familiar with the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment