Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:25 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,790,009 times

Advertisements

There is a position that just opened up in my company on another team. One of my team members approached the manager to discuss the position. I found out about it from the manager.

I fully support her moving into another role if that is her interest. However IMO she should have approached me first, then the new manager. The new manager doesn't agree.

Thoughts? What are the rules in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 09:39 AM

439 posts, read 424,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by See If This Works View Post
Are we asking about "rules" or "etiquette"? There's no rule against her approaching the other manager. You simply don't like it. "Etiquette" went out the window when CEOs downsized people so they could keep their 69 hundred to 1 pay ratios. As far as your team member is concerned, you are a potential obstacle: It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Yep

Old 07-18-2019, 09:56 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,351,234 times
From the employee's point of view, there is no sense in discussing it with you unless she gets a good vibe from the leader of the team that she wants to go to.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:38 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,928,837 times
Rules? I can't say without knowing your company.

Common sense and etiquette? Yes the person should have talked to you first. You want to keep good relationships with old managers when making internal moves.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:50 AM

6,597 posts, read 11,325,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
There is a position that just opened up in my company on another team. One of my team members approached the manager to discuss the position. I found out about it from the manager.

I fully support her moving into another role if that is her interest. However IMO she should have approached me first, then the new manager. The new manager doesn't agree.

This is more personal preference (maybe even a company culture thing) than an etiquette question. In that sense, you would have preferred your staff to come to you first. But she obviously didn't feel the same way.

Looking back, there are managers that I have close relationships with and would probably have approached them first. But there are also others where I wouldn't have needed their input before I inquired. This doesn't mean I dislike the latter managers. The relationship was just different.

I have also worked at places where inter-dept. moves required the current managers okay. But that would also be specific to the formal application process. It wouldn't stop me from talking to the other manager first.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,306,960 times
Quote:

If she already knew the other manager and initially wanted to discuss the position what she did was fine. And the manager did the right thing by letting you know.

If she formally applied, etc. and didn’t discuss with you I would have been a bit put out myself, but that then depends on company policy.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:53 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,198,478 times
Quote:

If you are a "team lead" who reports to the first level manager, it would have been more appropriate to talk to you first. Even if you do not have any formal title as a team lead, but are the senior person on the team, it would still make sense to talk to you first. But at the same time, I don't see going straight to the manager, who I take it is the one who can actually act on the request, as being particularly gauche.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,790,009 times
It's all good, she is a great member of my team and I only want what is best for her. I wanted to guide her for future (she is very young). The other director thought differently from me so thought I would do some crowd sourcing.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:44 PM

30 posts, read 17,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by See If This Works View Post
Are we asking about "rules" or "etiquette"? There's no rule against her approaching the other manager. You simply don't like it. "Etiquette" went out the window when CEOs downsized people so they could keep their 69 hundred to 1 pay ratios. As far as your team member is concerned, you are a potential obstacle: It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

This. 100%.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,571,368 times
Why would she have to talk with you first? I mean you can't hold her hostage to the job. She could quit then apply as an external applicant if you gave her trouble over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment