Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 07:21 AM

35,224 posts, read 31,563,692 times

Advertisements

I always provide a generic response here. You gain nothing by being specific or lobbing bombs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 07:32 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,339,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
In my exit interview I handed the HR director two (outrageously immature, unprofessional) emails a senior manager had sent to his division, asking the HR director whether she's proud of the men her company puts in positions of authority.
If I had good things to say about the company, I would tell them. If I experienced bad things about the company, on my exit interview (if there were one), I would say no comment because most people in the management don't want to hear what they don't want to hear anyway. They will just hate you for telling them the ugly naked truths. When I leave, any problems in the company are no longer mine, why do I bother?

Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,597,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Maybe the real reason was different from that given. If you couldn't stand your boss, what would you say when you quit?
I know people who don’t like their boss, and they simply don’t say anything. I myself at some point is disappointed with the upper management style, but I know what I said wouldn’t make a difference, so I leave and hope that one day they will finally realize that they need to change their management style.

It is very hard or nearly impossible to persuade someone to change their management style if they don’t see the problem.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,135,026 times
I left a job because I didn't like my boss. He could be an okay guy, but overall he was a micro manager and it stressed me out working for him knowing one mistake might set him off and lead to one of his closed door conversations where he basically said stop screwing up or else. I ended up getting a job way closer to my house so when I left I just said that was the reason. I'm not sure what I would have gained in that situation by telling the truth and I didn't want to burn any bridges because you never know what the future holds and trashing him could have come back to bite me later.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,569,214 times
Quote:
Maybe the real reason was different from that given. If you couldn't stand your boss, what would you say when you quit?
Of course.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:43 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,741,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
If I had good things to say about the company, I would tell them. If I experienced bad things about the company, on my exit interview (if there were one), I would say no comment because most people in the management don't want to hear what they don't want to hear anyway. They will just hate you for telling them the ugly naked truths. When I leave, any problems in the company are no longer mine, why do I bother?
Several reasons. 1. As someone retiring and moving to another state, there is nothing to lose. 2. The HR Director started the discussion with a request for frank and honest feedback because they know that they have a big problem with churn in this division and they know that this is a rare opportunity to get input from someone who has nothing to lose by being frank and honest. 3. My boss asked me to be frank and honest in the exit interview as a favor to her and my other coworkers who don't have the luxury to just walk away like I do. 4. My relationship with these people I worked with was far more valuable than taking the easy way out. It is worth the "bother" to do whatever I can to highlight the problems that my friends still are stuck having to deal with.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:56 AM

732 posts, read 393,563 times
Quote:
Of course, now that the economy is strong, a lot more are quitting. Usually the reasons given are More Money, Too far from home, Hours and Conditions, health reasons, etc. I understand nobody wants to burn bridges, so you won't hear "boss was a jerk," "Company is screwed up," or anything like that. But I wonder if the employee actually started looking for one of those reasons.
I've left three jobs (and only these three) prematurely for the following reason: I was hired to do something interesting and big, I show up at the door, I was immediately assigned to do some kind of engineering maintenance scut work and nothing more was said about the original project. In each case I gave the place six months to give it a shot and then boogied.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,016,110 times
I left one job because I couldn't stand the culture and didnt like my supervisor at all. I left respectfully and put in a notice and just told them I was moving on to other things in another area which ended up not paying near as much but I thought may have opportunity. It ended up being more a side income than a real job years later but now I have merged that as "experience" instead of a cut and run from a work environment and situation I did not enjoy. If you interview and they ask why you left it looks far better showing you tried something else and were busy than just saying "I didnt like my boss or them"

Old 07-19-2019, 01:42 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,499,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
People quit jobs for all kinds of reasons. If they did quit because of a bad boss or if the company treated them bad, then many of them exit in a professional manner by lying about the real reason so they don't have to insult anyone or burn any bridges. Just a cost of doing business. You can tell the truth and rant and rave but that can hurt you if you need a reference from that employer or if you have to come back crawling to them for a job later.
There's that expression... "You don't leave jobs, you leave bosses". While I'm not advocating burning bridges, it's sort of moot anyways. You're already in a bad position by having to leave. Chances are, if things aren't going good with you nor your superiors, you probably won't want to return to that company anyways (assuming it'll still be around ), or can count on your boss to give you a favorable, mangerial professional reference (not to be confused with what's typically done by HR... take calls/emails to confirm ex-employees' job title, date range of employment, and perhaps salary).

Old 07-19-2019, 02:42 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,829,112 times
Quote:
"Here's my notice, it's been fun, but I am moving on"....No need for drama...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment