Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Opinion on the STAR Method
I feel it is a valuable tool on weeding out candidates. 3 10.00%
I feel it is ridiculous and adds no value. 18 60.00%
It is okay as long as they also ask skill-based questions. 8 26.67%
I don't care as long as it gets me the job. 1 3.33%
Who cares, I am retired. 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 12:52 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
their ability to communicate during the interview process.
The ability of the candidate to communicate has nothing to do with the kinds of questions that interviewers choose to ask.

If the candidate can't communicate well, that would/could be the case regardless of whether HR/companies choose to use the STAR/CAR format. Therefore, IMO that's two different issues.

Actually, a more conversational style of interview would show more about the candidate's communication skills because -- "communicating with others in meetings, phone, chat, and have a strong command of the English language in email too" -- are mostly done in conversational style NOT the strict Q&A format of "tell me about a time when...." IMO.

Another case of the STAR format really doesn't provide the insight into what the company says it wants to see and know about the candidate being a good fit. But whatever....it's the game and people play it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 09:14 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Actually, a more conversational style of interview would show more about the candidate's communication skills because -- "communicating with others in meetings, phone, chat, and have a strong command of the English language in email too" -- are mostly done in conversational style NOT the strict Q&A format of "tell me about a time when...." IMO.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I'm very mellow, easy going, and laid back so I tend to click well with interviewers who share similar qualities and conduct interviewers in a more casual, conversational style. I'm not very good at connecting with the ones who speak a million words per minute, or who are clearly in a rush to sit you down for the Q&A STAR and then send you out without having any actual conservation with you about anything. I just don't see how they can determine the right fit with that approach. Maybe that is why they are constantly re-posting the job. It makes you wonder.

When I can just be myself, I tend to do well. I don't like being "fake" (i.e. bubbly, extroverted, "dynamic with HIGH energy") on interviews because I know I'm just going to revert back to my normal self once I get the job. And I suspect they won't be too pleased...

Old 10-21-2019, 04:47 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Every time I hear about this stupid interview gimmick I think of Abe Simpson being interviewed and asked to tell a story about a time...

Old 10-21-2019, 04:57 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Situational questioning is a great method for all types of jobs, including technical jobs. However, it can't be the only type of questioning you do. Depending on the role, it may play a large part or it may play a small part. A lot of the interview is how you and the candidate carry the conversation after the initial response to questions. Not the initial responses themselves (and this goes for all types of questions).

Old 10-22-2019, 12:47 AM

Agreed, but there are places that literally only do STAR, give no feed back during the interview, and just go from set question to set question. They read from their script before they start that their "only going to ask 7, 8, or 9 questions. Won't look at you as you answer, because they'll be listening and writing down your answers." Yes, they tell you they won't look at you! So they're not even picking up on much body language. And we're not even going to get into the lack of eye contact.

And some of these interviews are on the PHONE. So you haven't really conversed, nor seen, nor met the person even to shake hands. You gotta love it.

Quote:
Every time I hear about this stupid interview gimmick I think of Abe Simpson being interviewed and asked to tell a story about a time...
So... tell a story about a time...
-- when you solved a problem?
-- used an innovative idea to resolve an issue?
-- had to solve a problem under pressure?
-- worked with someone who didn't speak your language?
-- or who knows....stuffed an alligator (or a crocodile) down a toilet?

SMH.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Driven by affirmative action? Who told you that? Let's try...here is question to ask:

Q: How do you do a bubble-sort?

Now show me how you would ask that question applying this driven by affirmative action?
You miss the point completely. HR didn't have to prove to you that the question might be suspect. You had to prove to them that it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You get hired in as a GS-7, in fours years, you know what you will be? A GS-7.

No one has that sort of time table of hiring someone to promote them for this imagery position they've put on hold until the future when you are ready for it. They don't promote people, they have openings and everyone applies for them.

If there is a GS-7 opening then they need someone now to work in that job, and that job will always be needed because after all, it is the government and nothing goes away. So if it sounds like they are interviewing you to promote you to a GS-13 in the future, this is simply part of their recruitment.
This is simply …. wrong.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:58 AM

^^ I don't even understand it.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:06 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times
Much of the problem is they want a text book answer when in the real world, its not possible to do the text book thing.**For example suppose your using crappy spreadsheets to store data, the text book answer would be to do an appraisal of some software types, do a presentation and recommend to management, thereby saving the company lots money in saving resources.

In the real world, your more likely to questioned by your manager for stepping on their job duties(which they are probably not doing well), or worst told to just get on with your job and stop trying to be clever.

STAR interviews make the assumption that corporate environments are not dysfunctional, and your surrounded by people that want you to succeed.

In my experience with these type of interviews, they just never want to hear about real world situations, real world complexity, they just cannot handle plain speaking, almost like they invite people to lie and embelish what they have done in their previous jobs.

The other thing is how can any of the information you give them be verified?**You could say you were responsible for a change in your department when in reality you may have had a small part in the change but make it sound like you done it all by yourself.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:28 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times
I did a STAR interview with Amazon, they always use this method as part of their selection processes. I was unsuccessful even preparing the interview during a week. The interview was a videoconference through their software Amazon Chime, 1 hour and a half with 3 interviewers from different locations. I didn't have an idea on how many STAR situations I should have to prepare, I had prepared 6 thinking it was enough, but it wasn't so I had to improvise 2 STAR answers to fill some questions. My first interview was brilliant, the second one mediocre and the last one good, but wasn't enough. My conclusion was that the best way to pass a final interview with the level of Amazon is to pay someone to help you to pass. There are professionals out there offering these services. I feel the same with online assessments, I guess most people who succeed is people that pay to be trained to succeed.

Edited: I almost forgot to mention that I memorized all their leadership principles to link STAR questions and answers to them.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:03 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
I had one interview that was Star format questions. I was not prepared with any situations as I thought these types of questions would not show up in my industry. At least, I had never seen or used them. Ironically, I got the job, but I'm sure it was largely based on my resume and references.

I think they are very silly and leave you knowing nothing about the candidate, except some made up stories. I don't mind situational questions, such an irate customer comes in, what do you do. Asking someone to talk about a time an irate customer came in just leads to someone embellishing the story to make it seem like they are some kind of demigod. One particular incident might not highlight how I deal with irate customers in general, it might just be the only one I remember well enough to tell a story about. Then you have to exaggerate or just make up things that didn't happen.

Who wants to hear about real stories anyway. Tell me a time you resolved a conflict. Yeah, Larry was going to the Keurig to get his morning coffee, you know Larry, but we are all out of K-cups. So he goes on a tirade and blames Tom for using them all. See Tom made some comment about Larry's wife at the Christmas party last year, so Larry's already ticked off, plus Tom does drink a lot of coffee. So, anyway, Larry is on this tirade, the whole day, and possibly Larry's whole life is about to be ruined, but little does he know I have a secret stash of K-cups. So I hand one to Larry, singlehandedly saving the day, and Larry's life. That's the kind of ingenuity I can bring to your team.

I've done interview prep for managerial positions and everyone recommends answering using the star format. While having a few real situations to highlight who you are is fine, I'd much rather tell you who I am and what I believe rather than telling a bunch of made up stories. I never used it and I don't think others in my field did either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment