Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 06:20 AM

9,518 posts, read 8,530,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, what if the answer is yes. Will you not take the job?
If half of the team is located in India, no I would not take the job. Too much of a risk that they'd eventually outsource all positions to India to save themselves money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 06:23 AM

15,768 posts, read 7,759,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
If half of the team is located in India, no I would not take the job. Too much of a risk that they'd eventually outsource all positions to India to save themselves money.
Not necessarily. There are reasons to keep a portion of the jobs here, if only to act as a buffer between management and the offshore employees.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Not necessarily. There are reasons to keep a portion of the jobs here, if only to act as a buffer between management and the offshore employees.
Correct, but would you leave a job with zero offshoring to a job with 50% offshoring? It's a big risk and is a reason I'm considering asking the question.

I will likely take the advice of others and simply ask them to describe where my colleagues are located. Should be ten or fewer so not a terribly difficult question to answer.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,584,089 times
Quote:
Every associate could be onshore and the company could reorganize, get bought out, etc.

Avoiding companies with offshore staff will not reduce your personal risk.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Every associate could be onshore and the company could reorganize, get bought out, etc.

Avoiding companies with offshore staff will not reduce your personal risk.
Yes it will.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,221,042 times
Quote:
Correct, but would you leave a job with zero offshoring to a job with 50% offshoring? It's a big risk and is a reason I'm considering asking the question.

I will likely take the advice of others and simply ask them to describe where my colleagues are located. Should be ten or fewer so not a terribly difficult question to answer.
I would say that a company with zero offshoring would have more pressure to offshore than one that already has half its operations already offshored.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:27 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,400,772 times
Quote:
So you find this company, 100% everyone is located in the same building in the US. A year later, 75% of it is offshore. What are you going to do, find another job just because of this? I think you have to understand business and if your concerns are founded in reality. Companies are using offshore to be competitive, so there is more risk of them going out of business by not being competitive.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,584,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
So you find this company, 100% everyone is located in the same building in the US. A year later, 75% of it is offshore. What are you going to do, find another job just because of this? I think you have to understand business and if your concerns are founded in reality. Companies are using offshore to be competitive, so there is more risk of them going out of business by not being competitive.
Exactly. The OP is trying to control something that he has no control over. Having 100% onshore associates does not mean ones job is safe forever.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:27 PM

15,768 posts, read 7,759,522 times
Quote:

If you are talking to a large company, there will be offshore employees. We have a ton of offshores, but are still hiring here in the US.

Quote:
Yes it will.
No it won't. Companies of any size that don't have offshores will be considering them at some point.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:59 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,341,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
No it won't. Companies of any size that don't have offshores will be considering them at some point.

Yes it will. No it won't. Yes it will. No it won't. I think you two may be talking about different things.

Is your job safe from being offshored at a company not presently offshoring? Not completely.

But is it safer than at a company with significant offshoring? I think so. For one thing, the company may have already "considered" and rejected that path. For another, there is a certain inertia in setting up and implementing such a program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment