Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 02:09 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin6908 View Post
A friend of mine recently left her job. She was owed 2 weeks pay but the company claimed that, after she left, they scoured her emails and determined she "...wasn't doing much work". Therefore, they weren't paying her.

I have NEVER heard of such a thing and would expect this is highly illegal pretty much anywhere on earth.

Thoughts?

I left the OP a rep comment. Hopefully she'll come back to say she passed the info on and the friend filed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 08:21 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I believe even if they fired her, they would still have to pay her for the past one or two weeks that she worked plus vacation pay (prorated) that they owe her. If they don't pay, they are bullying her; and that's illegal.

As many posters say, she needs to file with the DOL in her state immediately.
My company gives its employees as little time as possible when they quit.

If you're a junior employee and you don't have much affairs to get together, they will give you like 2 days. You're not gonna get 2 weeks.

They're not going to pay you to sit around. And neither would a lot of people who post here if they ran a company.

That's a courtesy when the employer and employee like each other and/or the employer is nice, which ... was not the case here.

The primary reason for the 2 weeks is to get your work affairs in order to be passed on to other people. It's supposed to favor the employer, not the employee.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:04 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
I believe even if they fired her, they would still have to pay her for the past one or two weeks that she worked plus vacation pay (prorated) that they owe her. If they don't pay, they are bullying her; and that's illegal.

As many posters say, she needs to file with the DOL in her state immediately.
Only a handful of states require vacation pay to be paid out on termination as a matter of course, and federal law doesn't require it at all. Employers are expected to follow their own internal policy on the matter so, if neither the state nor the employer requires it, no vacation pay-out is due.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:10 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
They are full of crap. Plus, a company pays you for your time. Not the amount of work ypu produce. If they have a problem with the amount, then they let you go, but until they do, you are on the clock. File a complaint with the labor dept of that state.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:37 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
My company gives its employees as little time as possible when they quit.

If you're a junior employee and you don't have much affairs to get together, they will give you like 2 days. You're not gonna get 2 weeks.

They're not going to pay you to sit around. And neither would a lot of people who post here if they ran a company.

That's a courtesy when the employer and employee like each other and/or the employer is nice, which ... was not the case here.

The primary reason for the 2 weeks is to get your work affairs in order to be passed on to other people. It's supposed to favor the employer, not the employee.
not at all the same situation. If someone works for 2 weeks after giving notice, legally the employer has to pay them for those 2 weeks. They can't retroactively say "oh, never mind, you didn't do enough work so we aren't going to pay you after all"

Old 05-09-2021, 12:31 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Last paychecks must include all monies owed including accrued vacation pay in most states.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:04 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
I have seen something along that line happen before. A lady working for a national company that had a plant in our town. She pulled some illegal stunts at the plant using their computers. She was fired and also jailed for what she had done. Company said she could forget getting any of her retirement with the company (she'd been with them almost 15 years). She had her attorney take them to court and got every penny of it.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:39 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Agreeing with the others as well They have to pay her.

Old 05-14-2021, 02:34 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
They legally have to pay her. Have her report it to the agency in her state that handles that. In Texas, for example, it the Texas Workforce Commission.

Most agencies will have a link on their website to file a complaint, and most are pretty quick to respond.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:04 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
A well-to-do friend of mine has a household-employment situation that has an interesting twist. He uses his company HR department to "manage" these personal staff (he owns the company, so it's not improper but perhaps unseemly).

Anyhow, about a year ago, he hired a woman, Suzy, to his household staff. She was not competent, so after a week or two, she was terminated. He and she met, and he stated that it wasn't working out, and they parted ways. So just a few days ago, he's talking to the HR people about some newer staff, and getting their names into the payroll, etc. The HR clerk says, so is the new girl replacing Suzy? He says, who's Suzy? HR says, you remember -- you hired Suzy a year ago...

It turns out, this terminated employee has been on the payroll for the entire year. She never made a peep, but the weekly payroll kept churning. Long story short, my buddy talked to his attorney. There's basically nothing they can do. If you pay someone as a W-2 on a salary, even if you (and they) understood that they were terminated, the money is not recoverable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment