Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 09:26 AM

29,785 posts, read 34,590,200 times

Advertisements

Could you work in logistics, like for a trucking company, since you already have related experience? My cousin works for a moving company and does all the scheduling and storage computations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 11:56 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,257,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
All federal job salaries are public record. The salaries listed are the base salary only. There is also an adjustment, called a locality payment, for COL depending on where you live. San Francisco's is currently 41.44%. So for federal jobs in San Francisco, you would add 41.44% to the posteed base salary to get what the actually salary is. In my city, I believe it's about 18%.

So a GS-11 (common salary for technical positions) starts at $78,861. If you are in San Francisco, your actual starting salary for that position would be $111,541.
Entry level people cannot get GS-11 salary unless they have a PhD. GS-11 is $78K. That INCORPORATES the locality pay.
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...df/2020/SF.pdf

So they'll get GS-7 (Bachelor) which is about $53K or GS-9 (Masters') which is $65K.

Can't live on those salaries in San Francisco, rent for 1BR is 4K a month there.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
That’s what I’m looking for now.
What are you looking at now?

Old 07-15-2021, 12:22 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,431,133 times
well, I earn about 3 1/2 times that without significant physical labor or a graduate degree.

I got a BS in mechanical engineering 37 years ago and I've worked my arse off ever since.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:05 PM

866 posts, read 798,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
well, I earn about 3 1/2 times that without significant physical labor or a graduate degree.

I got a BS in mechanical engineering 37 years ago and I've worked my arse off ever since.
Same here, except Turf3 appears to be underpaid and overworked

It’s a good career for a non-graduate degree required position, and can absolutely be done with little physical effort.

Thanks for your service, sorry you got injured.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:31 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,656,893 times
Try a freight forwarding company in the shipping industry. Its a hidden industry that no one knows about.

Many jobs are handling documents of import and export shipments. All desk work and e-mailing and phone.

Many jobs are high school grad only and learn on the job, starting pay is around $35K. Apply at large companies as they have more money to pay more.

Or a trucking company doing dispatch?

A job in a customs brokerage company?

Old 07-21-2021, 07:00 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,972,340 times
https://www.usajobs.gov/

Do yourself a favor and get a federal government job. You have some of the best job security, you'll be working toward a pension, guaranteed raises, tons of work life balance, great health coverage, and early retirement.

Being a vet you're almost guaranteed to get a federal job. Keep looking at the postings, be willing to relocate and find something that fits, but that's 100% where you should start IMO.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
https://www.usajobs.gov/

Do yourself a favor and get a federal government job. You have some of the best job security, you'll be working toward a pension, guaranteed raises, tons of work life balance, great health coverage, and early retirement.

Being a vet you're almost guaranteed to get a federal job. Keep looking at the postings, be willing to relocate and find something that fits, but that's 100% where you should start IMO.
BEWARE: Most of the Federal jobs are in DC which has a HIGH cost of living. Entry level pay means you won't survive there.

So don't take any jobs in DC. Also avoid other high cost of living areas like the coasts.

You can't live on entry level pay in San Francisco, for example.

Take the job in flyover country. Kansas City, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, etc.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:05 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,972,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
BEWARE: Most of the Federal jobs are in DC which has a HIGH cost of living. Entry level pay means you won't survive there.

So don't take any jobs in DC. Also avoid other high cost of living areas like the coasts.

You can't live on entry level pay in San Francisco, for example.

Take the job in flyover country. Kansas City, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, etc.

Those types of jobs typically factor that in. The starting wage might be $55k in NJ the same job in Kansas might be $42k.

The best thing you can do is just get "in" once your in it's much easier to move into different departments or go to other locations.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 567,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
I’m currently working on a business management AS but I’m not sure if this is what I’m going to get into. Is it more likely to find a decent salary in a STEM or finance position?
I dont see that being of any value in the job market. For just an associates from a local community college you're going to want to get specific training. Drafting, CNC machine work/programming, electronics, medical billing etc..I always thought business degrees were to vague and non specific and didn't really train a person for their actual job duties unless your going to add on a bachelors or masters in finance or accounting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment