Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 02:19 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,684,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Wow, 12 hours/day is nothing to my boss' eyes. She literally starts working from 7am and works until midnight.

Companies will not pay $140K out of charity. You want a salary like that, you have to work hard for it!
Yeah you're probably right. I guess I'm just not cut out for that kind of lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 02:25 PM

3,523 posts, read 1,428,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Yeah you're probably right. I guess I'm just not cut out for that kind of lifestyle.

Yeah, that's the thing. You can get a job that pays less for less hours, but that would mean more free time, but less money to spend on your free time. Or you get a job that pays the big bucks, but that means you have less time to spend your money. Take your pick.

I'm sure there are jobs out there that can pay six figures and only makes you work 9-5, but that's kind of hard to find nowadays, especially given the economy right now.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Quote:
I live in a low cost of living part of the country and make a very high salary for the area. I am a short while into this new job that pays $140k. The responsibilities of the job are a lot different than expected or outlined during my interviews. It's to the point where I know I'll be missing my first set of deadlines and I do not feel confident this is a job I can stick out long term. My coworkers regularly work 12 hour days and the turnover rate is very high. That's not the kind of lifestyle I want to have.

I am just concerned that if I quit now, with enhanced unemployment benefits running out yesterday, that the competition for jobs is going to be fierce. My SO made a good point that it's unlikely people who are sticking out unemployment benefits this long are the ones looking at $140K roles, but I still am uneasy about it.

Is it better to ride it out and let them fire me/let me go or quit now to save my remaining sanity? I have started applying again to many of the jobs out there, almost all which will require a significant pay cut, which I am ok with. We have no debt and live a very frugal lifestyle.

Haven't really been in this situation before so looking to see if anyone can relate and share their experiences of how it all worked out for them.
You are correct. I had an opening about 7 weeks ago for a position paying about $80k, and only had 4 applications. I'm about to interview now for a position paying only $50-60k, and last week received 22 applications. It's definitely heating up here now, and I would expect anything in the $100k+ range to be even more competitive, no because of UI running out, but to look for greener pastures, better benefits, and work from home opportunities.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,033,067 times
Quote:
I live in a low cost of living part of the country and make a very high salary for the area. I am a short while into this new job that pays $140k. The responsibilities of the job are a lot different than expected or outlined during my interviews. It's to the point where I know I'll be missing my first set of deadlines and I do not feel confident this is a job I can stick out long term. My coworkers regularly work 12 hour days and the turnover rate is very high. That's not the kind of lifestyle I want to have.

I am just concerned that if I quit now, with enhanced unemployment benefits running out yesterday, that the competition for jobs is going to be fierce. My SO made a good point that it's unlikely people who are sticking out unemployment benefits this long are the ones looking at $140K roles, but I still am uneasy about it.

Is it better to ride it out and let them fire me/let me go or quit now to save my remaining sanity? I have started applying again to many of the jobs out there, almost all which will require a significant pay cut, which I am ok with. We have no debt and live a very frugal lifestyle.

Haven't really been in this situation before so looking to see if anyone can relate and share their experiences of how it all worked out for them.
Start looking for another job while employed?

Old 09-07-2021, 03:33 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,970,592 times
Do the math. If you work 40 hrs a week, that is $140,000.00, or $70.00 an hour, not counting a two week vacation.

If you are forced to work 60 hours instead, you are only making $105,000.00 or about $57.00 an hour that's a pretty big pay cut, plus you have no quality of life.

I would NEVER work without that clear up front, in writing. "Anything over 8 hrs / dy or 40 hrs / wk is time and 1/2 or $105.00 per hour of overtime.

Construction workers or mechanics wouldn't put up with working unpaid for a second. Why business workers will tolerate this I'll never understand.

Now if you want to pay me $140k for 40 hours, but I only need 30 hours to do my job then the bonus is mine.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:39 PM

460 posts, read 288,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Wow, 12 hours/day is nothing to my boss' eyes. She literally starts working from 7am and works until midnight.
My old boss used to say "Twelve hours? You're working half a day."

Old 09-07-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Construction workers or mechanics wouldn't put up with working unpaid for a second. Why business workers will tolerate this I'll never understand.

I guess this sort of answers this THREAD of mine. I always wondered how minimum wage people can stand to have a second job. But I guess in my line of work and the crazy amount of hours I put in, I'm pretty much working two jobs.

But the crazy thing is, even though these people work two jobs, they're probably making only $30K in each job. So working two full time jobs and making only $60K total is still insanely low.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
My old boss used to say "Twelve hours? You're working half a day."

It LITERALLY is half a day.

My boss makes way more than I do, so she can't force me to work her insane hours. If she does, then I will start demanding that I get paid the same as her. But not sure I really want to go that route. As much as I would like to make as much as her, I don't want to work the same hours as her. My salary is decent enough that I don't need to sacrifice the little sanity that I have left.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:34 PM

1,261 posts, read 836,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I would NEVER work without that clear up front, in writing. "Anything over 8 hrs / dy or 40 hrs / wk is time and 1/2 or $105.00 per hour of overtime.

Now if you want to pay me $140k for 40 hours, but I only need 30 hours to do my job then the bonus is mine.
On the other hand, construction workers and mechanics typically have a specific scope of work and well-defined deliverables. And, once the work is done the paychecks may stop unless another job is immediately available.

Personally, I think the most logical application of the 'exempt' classification would be fixed-price contract work. But the salaried structure surely offers more job security for the employee and labor force certainty for the employer.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:49 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,517,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
1. Are you struggling with the work itself, or just the amount of work and short deadlines?
2. Are the job responsibilities and skills relevant to your future career goals?
3. Do you have major home/family time commitments (like a new baby) at this time?
4. Why did you take this job, and how is it different from your last position?
Yes what is this job. Is this white collar office work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment