Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2023, 09:29 AM

78 posts, read 78,868 times

Advertisements

I am going to an industry conference in the near future and my main goal with going there is to network and learn ways to market myself for a new job. I like my current job and am paid well above average for my position. It is very stressful at times, but the pay makes up for that. But for reasons I won't go into detail at this time, I have reason to believe the company is slowly dying. I've talked to past senior staff, explained the situation and we all agree unless things drastically change, the place has a year or two, tops. It's just losing too much money too quickly.

Drastically change may mean outsourcing me since I am paid so well. So I want to start networking and putting feelers out there and maybe get on headhunter radar to hedge my bets.

I was planning on bringing my business cards with me and handing them out as I network. But those cards only have my current employer information on them. I am wondering if it would be odd if I bought card stock, used a business card template, and made a "personal calling card" of sorts with my information including my private contact information and maybe a QR code to my LinkedIn profile. Has anyone here done this or know of people who have? Or have you gotten such business cards and what did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 09:39 AM

1,076 posts, read 561,765 times
Create one as if it's for your side consulting business. If you want to go a step further, register that business and form an LLC with your state (it's usually pretty cheap). You can give them the line, "Here's my business card for my consulting business, but you can get ahold of me through any of these channels".

Old 07-21-2023, 10:40 AM

4,578 posts, read 2,715,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVulcan View Post
I am going to an industry conference in the near future and my main goal with going there is to network and learn ways to market myself for a new job. I like my current job and am paid well above average for my position. It is very stressful at times, but the pay makes up for that. But for reasons I won't go into detail at this time, I have reason to believe the company is slowly dying. I've talked to past senior staff, explained the situation and we all agree unless things drastically change, the place has a year or two, tops. It's just losing too much money too quickly.

Drastically change may mean outsourcing me since I am paid so well. So I want to start networking and putting feelers out there and maybe get on headhunter radar to hedge my bets.

I was planning on bringing my business cards with me and handing them out as I network. But those cards only have my current employer information on them. I am wondering if it would be odd if I bought card stock, used a business card template, and made a "personal calling card" of sorts with my information including my private contact information and maybe a QR code to my LinkedIn profile. Has anyone here done this or know of people who have? Or have you gotten such business cards and what did you think?
Sure, when I was between jobs I had one made up with [rabbit33], Mechanical Design and Engineering Management, [contact info].

For my side gig of course I have business cards as well.

Staples will run you off a box of 500 or so for short money if you don't require some kind of fancy design.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:47 AM

Thanks! I just wasn't sure if it would send the wrong message or be off putting to future, potential employers. I can make the cards myself, I just need good business card, card stock.

Old 09-18-2023, 06:15 AM

72 posts, read 53,381 times
I almost hope I'm too late with this suggestion and you found yourself a new job. Just in case, I think it's a good idea to create a digital business card, I did it a few months ago. You can add a link to your LinkedIn profile, online portfolio/CV, and all the info you want. The handy thing here is that you can update anything you want with no need to share the new card. Also, you can add your digital card's QR code to your paper card, if you want to share both. I dare to say it would look good in the eyes of potential employers. Autumn is generally rich in conferences and networking events, in my experience, so I'll wish you good luck in case you still need it!

Old 09-18-2023, 06:31 AM

24,650 posts, read 10,980,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Create one as if it's for your side consulting business. If you want to go a step further, register that business and form an LLC with your state (it's usually pretty cheap). You can give them the line, "Here's my business card for my consulting business, but you can get ahold of me through any of these channels".
OP needs to check on employer specifics such as out side employment first.

Old 09-18-2023, 07:38 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,381,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beariswear View Post
I almost hope I'm too late with this suggestion and you found yourself a new job. Just in case, I think it's a good idea to create a digital business card, I did it a few months ago. You can add a link to your LinkedIn profile, online portfolio/CV, and all the info you want. The handy thing here is that you can update anything you want with no need to share the new card. Also, you can add your digital card's QR code to your paper card, if you want to share both. I dare to say it would look good in the eyes of potential employers. Autumn is generally rich in conferences and networking events, in my experience, so I'll wish you good luck in case you still need it!
This is what I would do - linking the QR code to a LinkedIn. I'd be much more likely to quickly add the person on LinkedIn. I might lose the card or likely forget the interaction.

Old 09-21-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is what I would do - linking the QR code to a LinkedIn. I'd be much more likely to quickly add the person on LinkedIn. I might lose the card or likely forget the interaction.

I made this card for a multi-day conference and yes, I had (have) a QR code on the card to LinkedIn. Some people took the card, some people scanned it, added me in LinkedIn, and gave the card back.

I didn't get any jobs from any of that... yet. I did meet a few people who are keeping an eye out for jobs for me though--I really connected with them to the point where we were doing social outings after the conference day. Two of them seem to respond to my efforts to keep in touch. One of those two offered to get me in touch with a recruiter she knows, but I want to wait on that one. I am about 6 weeks away from the earliest I want to leave my current company and I am starting to more aggressively look and apply. I will touch base with the recruiter in a couple of weeks.

I am in no rush. I have a job, it pays well and I think the patient has at least a year or two left before dying. I am really trying to find a place I would actively enjoy working for (like I used to with where I work now). So I am really picky about where I am applying right now.

Yes, they might outsource me, but I have a year's expenses set aside in cash. So I will be fine no matter what happens.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:30 PM

838 posts, read 566,930 times
I suggest getting a Popl bracelet they're usually the best for networking/conferences and it works on damn near every smart phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment