Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 08:37 AM

144 posts, read 129,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How did you manage things the last time? (last two times?)
It was once, and I was fortunate that another job was waiting a couple of weeks later. I was at a lower level at the time, which likely made things easier (one interview for that role vs. 3+ interviews for each role I apply to now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 09:11 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post
I have a solid amount in savings and my partner is making decent money. We don’t need to move at the drop of a hat. However, we are planning to move away from the city center and into the suburbs within the next 1-2 years.

I’m not sure why the thread has migrated in favor of moving hours away to a quiet(er) area after 3+ months of unemployment. I am hoping you can help me when it comes to getting the most out of my professional network.
I'd listen to the advice that your network is giving to you. They like you and want to help you. Unfortunately, the economy isn't what it used to be and jobs aren't as plentiful as we all might like.

Why not check out some of the jobs that you might feasibly get and check out the areas that you might need to relocate to?

We moved to a quieter area some years back and it turned out to be a good move for us. There were some adjustments to make for sure but you do adjust.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:58 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
The company I was working for conducted a large layoff in April, and I was one of the employees impacted. Soon after, I reached out to members of my professional network for any advice, leads, or people to meet for informational interviews.

While I appreciate them trying to help, I feel like their message, whether intentional or not, has not been encouraging:

- Multiple people have pointed me toward roles that pay roughly half of what I was previously making and/or would be an clear demotion to anyone who saw the two titles next to one another. While some don't know what I was making at my previous jobs (which is understandable), others do.

- Some people have tried convincing me to take jobs that either require a 2-3 hour commute one-way each day or would require a relocation. I live in a major city where most of the jobs in my industry are based and I have family in the same city, so it makes no sense to move.

- When I see a job posted at one of my connection's companies, I let them know I applied to the role and ask for their advice on what steps I should take next to make myself a better candidate, only to be ghosted.

What baffles me is I have worked with or for these colleagues in the past and at a high level, often given lead roles and have received very positive feedback. When I was promoted into my last role, they told me it was "well-deserved." Do they believe good employees don't get laid off, even though it's typically not performance-based? Has something suddenly changed their sentiment? Do they see the job market as so difficult that I should be applying to anything? So many questions.

I can't leverage my network if they're suggesting I settle for basically any job that gets posted on LinkedIn or Indeed. What should I be doing to develop a better network? Additionally, how can I better inform my current network of my desired salary/roles so they can help guide me in the best way possible?
What line of work? Did you repair typewriters?

Old 08-04-2023, 09:37 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Why don't you just try to apply to jobs you like online and not worry about what your network has to say?

Old 08-05-2023, 04:46 PM

144 posts, read 129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Why don't you just try to apply to jobs you like online and not worry about what your network has to say?
This is what I've been doing, and I hope that I can land something doing this. The reason I am seeking out a strong network is for the "hidden job market" that can result in more and better opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'd listen to the advice that your network is giving to you. They like you and want to help you. Unfortunately, the economy isn't what it used to be and jobs aren't as plentiful as we all might like.
I understand the economy is challenging right now, especially for the job market. I just feel there's a difference between being pushed toward a position I recently held even if it's a little lower and being pushed toward an entry-level or equivalent position in the same field. I didn't quote the moving part, since that's not a necessary option right now - my partner's income from her hybrid/office role is good, I have enough savings to hold me over for a little while, and we plan on moving to our city's suburbs in a couple of years.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:19 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
How many applications are you sending out? After 4 months you may need to up your frequency.

If you can get an entry-level position, I'd suggest swallowing your pride (no judgment) and taking it just to have a paycheck. Then keep applying to jobs at your level --- companies are much more interested in people who are already employed. Embellish your responsibilities and title at your current job to seem less entry-level. (Honesty is not of the essence here; jobs lie to candidates all the time.)

It's good that you have some savings but don't rely too much on that. Between the unpredictability of the interview process and the duration of background checks, it may take a long time to get your next paycheck.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:36 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
The company I was working for conducted a large layoff in April, and I was one of the employees impacted. Soon after, I reached out to members of my professional network for any advice, leads, or people to meet for informational interviews.

While I appreciate them trying to help, I feel like their message, whether intentional or not, has not been encouraging:

- Multiple people have pointed me toward roles that pay roughly half of what I was previously making and/or would be an clear demotion to anyone who saw the two titles next to one another. While some don't know what I was making at my previous jobs (which is understandable), others do.

- Some people have tried convincing me to take jobs that either require a 2-3 hour commute one-way each day or would require a relocation. I live in a major city where most of the jobs in my industry are based and I have family in the same city, so it makes no sense to move.

- When I see a job posted at one of my connection's companies, I let them know I applied to the role and ask for their advice on what steps I should take next to make myself a better candidate, only to be ghosted.

What baffles me is I have worked with or for these colleagues in the past and at a high level, often given lead roles and have received very positive feedback. When I was promoted into my last role, they told me it was "well-deserved." Do they believe good employees don't get laid off, even though it's typically not performance-based? Has something suddenly changed their sentiment? Do they see the job market as so difficult that I should be applying to anything? So many questions.

I can't leverage my network if they're suggesting I settle for basically any job that gets posted on LinkedIn or Indeed. What should I be doing to develop a better network? Additionally, how can I better inform my current network of my desired salary/roles so they can help guide me in the best way possible?
Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news, but "networking" is not something that happens overnight. Solid relationships must be cultivated over time. Even if you developed a good network, once you have "exhausted" all your leads and not gotten an offer, you are going to have to strike out on your own.

Your best bet may (I can't say for sure without knowing more about your profession) be to accept the 2-3 hours away job and relocate, especially if you don't have kids. If you are geographically tied down for whatever reason, then you may have to be a bit more willing to accept a pay cut, or take a position that you are less familiar with.

Once you get to the 6 month mark, you will have a steeper hill to climb in regards to the "resume gap problem". It is also plausible that the layoffs at your last company occurred because there simply isn't the demand anymore. If your field has contracted, you may have to look for something else.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:12 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
This is what I've been doing, and I hope that I can land something doing this. The reason I am seeking out a strong network is for the "hidden job market" that can result in more and better opportunities.

I understand the economy is challenging right now, especially for the job market. I just feel there's a difference between being pushed toward a position I recently held even if it's a little lower and being pushed toward an entry-level or equivalent position in the same field. I didn't quote the moving part, since that's not a necessary option right now - my partner's income from her hybrid/office role is good, I have enough savings to hold me over for a little while, and we plan on moving to our city's suburbs in a couple of years.
Well, if your network is only steering you towards entry level positions then it does sound like it's time to start applying to jobs on your own.

If your partner has a good job making good money then it probably would not be wise to pull up roots and move to another area.

At the same time, if you plan to move to your city's suburbs within the next couple of years it will be good for you to be employed even if you wind up accepting a position that is less than what you had hoped for.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:44 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news, but "networking" is not something that happens overnight. Solid relationships must be cultivated over time. Even if you developed a good network, once you have "exhausted" all your leads and not gotten an offer, you are going to have to strike out on your own.

Your best bet may (I can't say for sure without knowing more about your profession) be to accept the 2-3 hours away job and relocate, especially if you don't have kids. If you are geographically tied down for whatever reason, then you may have to be a bit more willing to accept a pay cut, or take a position that you are less familiar with.

Once you get to the 6 month mark, you will have a steeper hill to climb in regards to the "resume gap problem". It is also plausible that the layoffs at your last company occurred because there simply isn't the demand anymore. If your field has contracted, you may have to look for something else.
There is a downside to accepting a position that is too far beneath your qualifications in that it would reset your career track at that point.

I would only recommend someone in OP's situation to settle for a lesser role if OP was in a middle management position without strong industry background, or an IT person who worked on obsolete technology for many years.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:47 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Yep. This is what the OP is going to have to accept.

The longer you are out of work, the more you have to fight the unemployment bias. If you're in a small town or rural area, there may be few appropriate jobs in your market to begin with.

I would likely have to relocate if my remote job went away, and I didn't get another one. It's unlikely that I'd find anything locally that pays what I'm making now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment