Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 09:44 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
I went throught a 6 hour virtual interview with a "prestige" company. The interview required me to provide the following:
  • A written summary about yourself
  • A 60 minute presentation about yourself including the following
  • Personal introduction (hobbies, things that are important to you outside of work)
  • High level overview of your background (education, work history relevant to this role)
  • Project talk - select 2 - 3 professional achievements that best relate to the job you are interviewing for. Using the STAR format (Situation, Task, Action, Result) walk the team through your project or achievement selections. This should be the focus of your presentation.
  • What interests you in joining this company?

After the presentation
  • One on One meetings (virtual via video conference) - 6 people
    Following the presentation, you will speak for 30 minutes with each of the company team members you presented to. These conversations will dive deeper into relevant technical skills, and also behavioral qualities that align with our culture and mission. This is a great time for you to ask your questions of the team, too!
What you've listed here is way too much for an interview. Unless it's for CEO, CFO or COO, it goes beyond the level of overkill. A resume or CV and references should be all that's necessary. JMO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 09:46 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennedyGabbard2024 View Post
I've interviewed at several of the more prestigious companies recently and it's crazy the amount of time they're expecting you to put in to prepare for their ritual. Recruiters will send me formal preparation material that would take someone weeks if not months to go through it all. I don't know how they expect someone currently employed to have the time to do all this training to try and succeed at the company's particular on-site interview, especially if they reject 95% of candidates after that stage.
It is a way of weeding people out. I once worked at admissions at a school an every year we added a new hurdle to keep numbers down.

Old 10-09-2023, 11:57 AM

6,814 posts, read 4,257,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It is a way of weeding people out. I once worked at admissions at a school an every year we added a new hurdle to keep numbers down.

Absolutely. If you get 300-400 applications for a position and many are basically 'express' applications, you'll need to find a way to get it down to a more manageable number and also cut the people who don't actually *really* want the job.

But there probably is a point where you're discouraging even good applicants, and the applications you end up getting are the people who have the most time to waste, not necessarily the best-equipped people for the job.

Old 10-09-2023, 01:09 PM

12,854 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Absolutely. If you get 300-400 applications for a position and many are basically 'express' applications, you'll need to find a way to get it down to a more manageable number and also cut the people who don't actually *really* want the job.

But there probably is a point where you're discouraging even good applicants, and the applications you end up getting are the people who have the most time to waste, not necessarily the best-equipped people for the job.
I'd go a bit further and say it discourages the best people because they don't need to put up with the BS.

Old 10-09-2023, 01:44 PM

844 posts, read 421,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
What you've listed here is way too much for an interview. Unless it's for CEO, CFO or COO, it goes beyond the level of overkill. A resume or CV and references should be all that's necessary. JMO...
It's the "golden rule", he who has the gold dictate the rules, in this case the employer.

Old 10-09-2023, 02:49 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,819 times
I've never seen anything like this for less technical roles, but I have seen it for highly valued technical roles, like Data Scientists and Software Engineers at FAANGs. They have the capacity and time to make the right decision and the pay is often worth the investment from the candidate side. It's common for early to early mid career people to make $250-$500k in total comp. That's a big decision to get wrong, especially at scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment