Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2023, 12:35 PM

78 posts, read 78,545 times

Advertisements

I found an job opening last week that I am very interested in. I really like the company, their mission, and benefits. They are very healthy financially (unlike my current employer) and there is a lot of room for professional growth. The position I am interested in is also a step up for me in responsibly and an increase in pay. I really am excited about the possibilities. It is time for me to move up in my opinion.

I spent the week fine tuning a resume and cover letter for that position. I have a friend (who is a professional editor) proof reading things and she's going to get back to me tonight. My plan is to submit my resume and cover letter though their website tonight after making any changes. The position has only been listed for a week and there is a 30 day window to apply, I am getting in on the first week.

In the meantime, another position in the same department also opened up at the same company. I noticed it this morning. If I apply, it's a lateral move for me and would be the same salary I make now. I probably fit that job a little better since it is almost exactly what I am doing now and have been doing for years. It coordinates with/reports to the first position to which I am applying. If they don't think I am a good fit for first job, I would love to be considered for this one too. But how do I express that interest?

It would feel like I am diluting my chances by applying more than one. And from what I've read, applying more than once is frowned upon. But I want them to know that I am seriously interested in both positions.

Those of you who are HR people or know how they work, what's the best way to approach this? Apply to both? Add something to my cover letter? Funny enough, I really wouldn't change my resume for the other position--the jobs are that closely related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 05:59 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
I think you are reducing you chances by only applying for one of them. Apply to both positions.

Old 09-23-2023, 08:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 11,563,293 times
One thing’s for sure - if you don’t apply, you definitely won’t get it.

If the advice you’ve read literally said “it’s frowned on to apply more than once” I would think they are referring to applying for the SAME position, although I don’t necessarily agree with that.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I think you are reducing you chances by only applying for one of them. Apply to both positions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
One thing’s for sure - if you don’t apply, you definitely won’t get it.

If the advice you’ve read literally said “it’s frowned on to apply more than once” I would think they are referring to applying for the SAME position, although I don’t necessarily agree with that.
See, this is what I think too, but every article I've read (on a job hunting sites) says don't do it. They say when you are faced with two jobs at the same company that you want to apply for, pick the one you are most interested in, etc, etc. Don't apply for both because it looks bad. Especially if the company is the size of the one I want to go to (300 employees) because chances are the same HR people will review both resumes and think you are unfocused or indecisive. Every article I've read says you might be considered for both anyway if your skills really do match both. But of course, that's a "might" not a "will." And none of them ever address a strategy to indicate you are open to both. It sounds more like, just roll the dice and hope and I don't like that.

I picked one of the two positions, but I am truly open to the other one as well. Where I work now is dying and this is a good, strong company to move to. I would be happy with a lateral move to a stronger company. I would be happier with a move up, but I would still be happy with the lower tier job too.

I was thinking I could address that by adding some additional information to my application that would highlight skills skills of the other position (most of which would just be elaborating on things I've already mentioned). Like I said, there is a lot of overlap. I am looking for some advice on how to best do that (cover letter, resume, both)?

Old 09-26-2023, 07:42 AM

Well, they made it simple. I applied for the one job and while I was mulling over if I should apply for the second, they sent me an email asking me to apply for the second. I hope that's a good sign that they like me (for either job).

Old 09-26-2023, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVulcan View Post
Well, they made it simple. I applied for the one job and while I was mulling over if I should apply for the second, they sent me an email asking me to apply for the second. I hope that's a good sign that they like me (for either job).
I have hired about 20 people in the last 15 years, and twice there has been an applicant that also applied to an opening in another department. In both cases mine was the lower paying job, and I interviewed but didn't select either one. In both cases they ended up getting the other jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment