Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 08:11 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times

Advertisements

I've been dogging myself for way too long about getting stuck in a job that gets me nowhere fast and not taking any opportunities.
I talked to a recruiter the other day about a job with a significant pay increase and a chance to use my skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 09:05 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
If your current job doesn't meet your needs, it's time to move on. Good luck to you.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I've been dogging myself for way too long about getting stuck in a job that gets me nowhere fast and not taking any opportunities.
I talked to a recruiter the other day about a job with a significant pay increase and a chance to use my skills.
That's like having a brain surgeon be the janitor. The waste of intelligence, abilities and education get out there and knock them out.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
That's like having a brain surgeon be the janitor. The waste of intelligence, abilities and education get out there and knock them out.

I don't know about all that

I've had the rug pulled out from underneath me one to many times so now I'm kind of gun-shy.

Old 10-03-2023, 01:43 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
Way too few people have the ability and/or strength to recognize that it is themselves, rather than others, who are stopping them from what they want in life. Or that they have more control than they have the courage to admit because that admission would be finding fault with yourself.

Good for you OP. Good for you big time. I am sending you good karma and wishing you the best.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:00 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,146,346 times
Pays to be careful but staying in a rut will fill you with regrets. Been there, done that.

Do your best to leave on good terms. You never know, your company may have better opportunities down the road. You may work with some of the same people again at other places.

IMHO, wise to give a job a year. That's often enough to learn company culture, market, etc. Lets you observe the power brokers and coworkers. See if promises are generally honored or somehow fade away. See if equipment or office tech is kept up to date, if customers stay on board long term, etc.

Evaluations are a good yardstick sometimes. I had 1 supervisor who constantly praised and thanked me for "going the extra mile" and doing lots of extra work, lots of "dirty work" no one else would do. Evaluation time, I got all 3's. 3 was smack dab in the middle. Then her attitude was "no one does more than is expected of them". She was not an evil woman at heart but full of frustrations and petty jealousies from over the years. She couldn't stand for anyone to get ahead of her and certainly wasn't going to help them do it. I should have left then but stayed around for 11 years. Dealt with various other scheming people too. Sort of a survival mode lots of people fell into.

Go on out and do what's best for you.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:06 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,146,346 times
Pays to be careful but staying in a rut will fill you with regrets. Been there, done that.

Do your best to leave on good terms. You never know, your company may have better opportunities down the road. You may work with some of the same people again at other places.

IMHO, wise to give a job a year. That's often enough to learn company culture, market, etc. Lets you observe the power brokers and coworkers. See if promises are generally honored or somehow fade away. See if equipment or office tech is kept up to date, if customers stay on board long term, etc.

Evaluations are a good yardstick sometimes. I had 1 supervisor who constantly praised and thanked me for "going the extra mile" and doing lots of extra work, lots of "dirty work" no one else would do. Evaluation time, I got all 3's. 3 was smack dab in the middle. Then her attitude was "no one does more than is expected of them". She was not an evil woman at heart but full of frustrations and petty jealousies from over the years. She couldn't stand for anyone to get ahead of her and certainly wasn't going to help them do it. I should have left then but stayed around for 11 years. Dealt with various other scheming people too. Sort of a survival mode lots of people fell into.

Old 10-06-2023, 04:17 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:

I've had the rug pulled out from underneath me one to many times so now I'm kind of gun-shy.
If you got the chance to use those skills and ability I'd say go for it and get paid while you're doing it.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post

-I'm not a bridge burner for sure, we even had one guy quit and came back after two weeks, then quit again.
-I've been at this company for two almost three years now came in about halfway up the corporate step stool.
-You mention evaluations at my last eval he could barely squeeze out a complete complement other than you coming in early and staying late and gave me a .50 cent/ hour raise.
-Every one of my managers (about 5 in two years) I've told them don't make me a one trick pony, give me more projects and more responsibilities, but I've been pretty much told to stay in my lane.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:05 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times
Quote:

Me too.

But I figure that the law of averages is on my side.

The classic bait & switch...two different ways.

Plant closure after working there for a whopping 2 years.

Shift changes without a choice.

Training new employees coming in with higher pay.

Even had a friend that was RIFed during orientation.

The best we can do is....do our homework and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment