Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2023, 03:04 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,821 times

Advertisements

Reason being from my experience, males tend to be way more clanish and will prefer to establish a more "Good old boys" club" herd in the management ranks and depend on more beer buddies to fill them. Women tend to be more performance based and generally they get more catty with each other in the work environment. Male bosses would rather tend to fill the ranks in the management team with the beer drinking, golf buddies and performance tends to mean less and they will keep you out of the management ranks if you show more ability than them when it comes to knowledge and performance at the company if you are a male.

Old 10-27-2023, 03:17 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
It didn't matter to me. I just wanted them to do their jobs.

I had women bosses who were worthless as teats on a bull and women bosses who were outstanding. The same with men.

I did find that the worthless women bosses did come to work every day while the worthless male bosses rarely showed up on time. I had one who called in one day to say he was running a little late. We didn't see him for three weeks.

Old 10-27-2023, 03:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Like North Beach I have had both good and bad males and females. My current boss is a female, started last spring and so far is great, far better than the female before her. My last male boss was a disaster, and the reason I left that job after 17 years. The male boss he replaced was great, in fact he's now 82 and I discovered he has moved to this area so went and had lunch with him, over 40 years since I worked for him.

Old 10-27-2023, 03:25 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Doesn't matter to me, as there are good and bad either way.

Old 10-27-2023, 04:20 PM

23,260 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Agree that either one has an equal chance to be good or bad, but thinking back over my own experience, the bosses I ended up having better working relationships with were overwhelmingly male. Part of it was simply due to the nature of the work...at least in the earlier years, the profession simply attracted more men than women. Because I started out as a technical/professional woman in a male dominated field (women tended to stick to administrative support roles and I wasn't one of those), I've never cared that much about same sex camaraderie. Do the work, do it sincerely to the best of your ability, show respect for everyone, and you'll earn the respect of pretty much everyone in return. IME, neither gender is exempt from cliquish behavior, little spites and biases, immaturity, one-upmanship, and pettiness.

A favorite quote from a favorite book character about the nature of "men's" versus "women's" work:

"I've heard women complain about doing men's work and men complaining about doing women's work. What I've never heard is the work complaining as long as it got done!"

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-27-2023 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-27-2023, 05:24 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It didn't matter to me. I just wanted them to do their jobs.

I had women bosses who were worthless as teats on a bull and women bosses who were outstanding. The same with men.

I did find that the worthless women bosses did come to work every day while the worthless male bosses rarely showed up on time. I had one who called in one day to say he was running a little late. We didn't see him for three weeks.
That's the winning statement. I don't care about their sex; I care about how good a boss they were. Like NBP, I had both good and bad both men and women. I will say however, that when I did have a worthless boss, male or female, I was far happier when they didn't show up than when they did. Because when they weren't there, I could simply step into their role and do their job and mine too. Things flowed much better for everyone in the organization when they weren't there.

Old 10-27-2023, 05:39 PM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
As long as they do their job - I do not take them home with me.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:32 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Thread closed. See post #3 in the W&E Sticky thread re: forum rules.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment