Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 02:56 PM

16 posts, read 10,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Eligibility interview is standard at this stage.

The question will be, did you quit the the position for Good/Just Cause as defined by you're sate's unemployment regulations?

So, the first question must be, did the shooting you witness at the first job take place in the employer's workplace or within an area under control of the employer? The closer the relationships of the shooting to the employer, the easier to show Good/Just Cause. The more distant the relationship, the harder to say it's employer related.

Second question, for the second "scam" job, define why the job was a scam and how that created Good/Just Cause to quit the employment.

One quick note: the stance that you should not take the call and let the employer make a case for disqualification only applies when you were terminated by the employer. When you quit or abandon a job, the employer's sole and only role is to show you quit. The burden to prove Good/Just Cause is on your shoulders alone.
Rabrrita - I was hoping you would reply.

I quit the first job for Good / Just Cause I quit for a position that was higher pay in my field -

1) The shooting was literally right in front of the building of the company. I was leaving work as it was happening. ( hence why the following day I started looking for a new job that was in a safer area or remote as I no longer felt safe coming and leaving work. The area already had unsafe issues which had be worried I didn’t know it was that bad. It’s downtown Portland, OR - if you keep up on the news you are aware of the issues that are going on- and this shooting made it worse )

2) The new job seemed legitimate phone interview , verbal and written offer. Quit first job with a start date the following week. And then learned the job was a scam. I never started the job.

I had never planned to not take this interview - I was speaking about when I first got on unemployment.

thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 04:49 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers20 View Post
1) The shooting was literally right in front of the building of the company. I was leaving work as it was happening. ( hence why the following day I started looking for a new job that was in a safer area or remote as I no longer felt safe coming and leaving work. The area already had unsafe issues which had be worried I didn’t know it was that bad. It’s downtown Portland, OR - if you keep up on the news you are aware of the issues that are going on- and this shooting made it worse )
This info may not bode well for your case. If the area was bad and had a reputation for being bad, yet you still took the job, you're admitting that the prior knowledge of the known "bad" of the area was not a factor to accepting the job. That could torpedo a Just/Good Cause basis.

External factors that are creating a Just/good Cause quit needs to be connected to the employer. Example would be if the employer presented the area as "a vibrant, energized, safe downtown Portland". You can argue you accepted the job based on the safe portrayal of the area by the employer. That connects the external neighborhood reality back to the employer's representation of it being safe.

Quote:
2) The new job seemed legitimate phone interview , verbal and written offer. Quit first job with a start date the following week. And then learned the job was a scam. I never started the job.
Again, the fact you quit one job to take another job but decided not to take that job, isn't going top fly. If that was allowed, everyone would just quit their job, apply at some fast food place knowing they would be given an offer simply because they are breathing but quit that job after the offer and before they start and collect unemployment. You need to show with authentic and verifiable proof that the new job was unsuitable because it was a scam. If you claim it was a scam job, you better be able to back it up. You need to be a bit more forthcoming as to what made this job a scam.

Old 11-06-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
This info may not bode well for your case. If the area was bad and had a reputation for being bad, yet you still took the job, you're admitting that the prior knowledge of the known "bad" of the area was not a factor to accepting the job. That could torpedo a Just/Good Cause basis.

External factors that are creating a Just/good Cause quit needs to be connected to the employer. Example would be if the employer presented the area as "a vibrant, energized, safe downtown Portland". You can argue you accepted the job based on the safe portrayal of the area by the employer. That connects the external neighborhood reality back to the employer's representation of it being safe.

Again, the fact you quit one job to take another job but decided not to take that job, isn't going top fly. If that was allowed, everyone would just quit their job, apply at some fast food place knowing they would be given an offer simply because they are breathing but quit that job after the offer and before they start and collect unemployment. You need to show with authentic and verifiable proof that the new job was unsuitable because it was a scam. If you claim it was a scam job, you better be able to back it up. You need to be a bit more forthcoming as to what made this job a scam.

I am new to Portland OR and did not know the area was like that. The job said exactly what you posted vibrant, energized, safe, Downtown Portland.
… I mean they just finished the 3 year project to get the hotel and residences open. A lot of buyers have even backed out of the residences because of the area getting worse and worse.

I didn’t just not take the new job - it was a scam. I thought it was legitimate - upon further searching online I learned it was a scam - found threads of reddit and other forums.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:13 AM

1,914 posts, read 897,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Probably not. This sounds like a lot of excuses as to why you're not working.

Pretty sure this is a user that was flushed out from their many threads about losing jobs, being fired without cause, unemployment, etc., and they've created a new username.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Pretty sure this is a user that was flushed out from their many threads about losing jobs, being fired without cause, unemployment, etc., and they've created a new username.

I have been fired 3 to times in the past 20 years. - Pretty sure this forum is a place to get advice and not be vilified. If you don’t have any helpful advice … just skip the post. Don’t be cruel.

You have the day you deserve.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:28 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Yep. I mean, even if this silly story WAS true, what about all the other people who worked for that same employer? After hearing there was a shooting...or was it a murder now?.......did they all up and quit? Did the OP know the shooter or victim(s)? My neighborhood suffered a horrific tragedy a few years ago with the senseless murder of a pre-teen by another pre-teen. Didn't make me want to sell my house and move.

Old 11-07-2023, 01:47 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Did this shooting affect you personally?

Old 11-08-2023, 07:05 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
I have been fired 3 to times in the past 20 years. - Pretty sure this forum is a place to get advice and not be vilified. If you don’t have any helpful advice … just skip the post. Don’t be cruel.

You have the day you deserve.
I don't know you post history, I can only go by this story. I'll skip all the criticism because I don't think it's fair to you.

I would for sure bring the letter of acceptance from the scammer. This along with the proof of the shooting should help your case I would think. But I have no experience with any of this so there's that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment