Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2023, 04:08 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,326,678 times

Advertisements

Through many years of working here, there were times I felt/saw injustices regarding some leaders/managers playing favouritism, discrimination, being disrespectful, unfair and bullying… and employees being lazy, cheating, calling in “sick” so much, following their bullying managers to gang up and bullied the ones who were not like they were… And people came and went away, came back, or stay, for whatever reasons.

Long story short (or it may still be long – please skip if you feel tired of reading), we’ve gotten a new management team, mixed of some long time and many new members. We are in the re-org process. So far, I’ve seen many of those who called in “sick” often, many times every year, or periods of weeks and/or months and came back to work, and built the sick leave time again, and called off again, are let go.

I do feel sorry for them b/c it’s hard to have no job and no money to support themselves and their families; especially at the current time, it is a very hard to find a good job with decent pay and benefits.

But imagine if you had to work with coworkers who called in “sick” so much, and your manager forced you to take extra work from them; and you would get no extra pay or rewards, how would you feel? You could/can be burnt out and become very/truly sick.

About the employers, who would be happy to pay for employees who call in “sick” a lot, who don’t do much work for them and just want to get money for free, the more the better, eh?

I understand sick leave policy is for employees to take a few sick days when they are truly sick, or when you have a serious sickness or surgery, you can be off for a long time with 100% pay if you have enough sick leave time. But lots of employees want to take advantage of it in advance and abuse the policy. Don’t tell me that I don’t know what happen to those people who called in “sick” and to mind my own business, or I will get karma. I’m not afraid. Their calling in “sick” is my business b/c they really affect my job and my health. I’ve been through thick and thin times in this company. I had hardship with a couples of mean managers and a few co-workers. I work hard, and I have great perseverance. I’m not stupid to believe all those people who called in “sick” were really sick, and they deserved to use sick days whenever they wanted. Some of them were truly sick though. Yeah.

Many years ago, when I was young, nice, soft and helpful, many employees were friendly with me and complained to me: “All they (meant employer) care is we work our butts off for them to make money. They don’t care about us, they don’t care if we are tired or sick, they don’t care about our health… ” I was thinking to myself: “What do you think? Do you think they want you to come here to do nothing, to talk, to party, to complain when you don’t get what you want, and get pay? Hah! That’s ridiculous.” But I did not say that out loud to those who complained to me, of course (FYI: I was and am not in the management. I’m just a regular employee as most of them). One time, this employee did not show up for work. I had to call her. She did not answer her phone. I left her a message. Later, she called back and said: “Oh, I’m so glad you called me. I’m so sick. And nobody called me. Nobody cared if I lived or died”. I thought to myself “OMG, somebody thinks she is the centre of the world, others have to pay so much attention to her and revolve around her”. I did not say that straightforwardly to her. I had to try to be calm. I said: “Jane (not her real name), if you were sick, you needed to call in the night before, or two hours before your start time, to let the nurse in charge know, so she or I could have time to call other staff, to find a replacement for you, so the staff on your unit would not have to work short.

You see? So many employees are very ridiculous and unreasonable. I do have empathy and compassion for others. But you understand that everybody has limits.

Of course, I’m not naïve not to see some leaders/managers (or the employer/higher-ups allow those managers) to take advantages of, abuse, bully good and hard-working employees, or some employees they dislike for whatever personal reason. In that case, I do know what to do. Such leaders/managers/employer are accountable for their being unfair with the hard-working employees and their being coward with the tricky, cheating employees.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my witness about justice at my company currently. How about you? Anyone? Have you ever witnessed any fairness, justice after a long period of time that you suffered forceful overloaded work from your manager when one, two, or three of your co-workers called in “sick” so much, and they could just come back and be happy with less work, and they could just sit there and smile and talk and boast about their “sickness”, and everybody had to serve them? Many employees were hooked into their yapping and gossiping constantly. And their “sickness” was contagious very badly. The workplace was like crazy b/c everybody was calling in “sick” left and right.

I believe there will be many, many people want to share/express the opposite. I understand. I used to feel/experience that way. I did express a lot about that on here. Sometime, I felt resentful about the mean/unfair manager and the azz kissers, I thought negatively. But I still worked hard, rarely called in sick, believed in an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay. That’s me. I did not want to follow others. Only until now, I’m seeing the difference; and I’d like to share. That’s all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 04:57 PM

9,880 posts, read 14,145,300 times
Assuming from the title, things should be ok for you. Not a chance I am reading the novel you wrote.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:08 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Wow. That's quite a bit of scorekeeping you do OP! Must be exhausting.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-12-2023 at 05:33 PM..

Old 11-12-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Assuming from the title, things should be ok for you. Not a chance I am reading the novel you wrote.
Yes, things are much better for me now d/t I have fair and supportive leader and managers currently [to me]. I'm thankful to them. I wrote a short "novel" in the OP based on true events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yep. I felt/was very exhausted/stressed/burnt out at work before. Things are getting better for me now. I am happy and much healthier than ever. I keep a journal about work for fun. Sometime, I read it again, I can say Wow! So many things happened at work. I had good times and bad times. I could overcome the hardship fallen on me from my ex tyrannical manager. I can pat myself on my back. Work was fun. Work was hell. And it kept changing.

Old 11-13-2023, 05:13 PM

1,944 posts, read 923,471 times
Quote:

There's a reason this user is on my Ignore List. Unfortunately, I can still see every user's threads on New Posts and Subscribed Forums, and wind up clicking by mistake.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:30 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Scorekeeping is so middle school. Surprised the OP still does it...

Old 11-13-2023, 06:37 PM

I don't care who put me or anyone else on the Ignore List. Such people feel p_ssed b/c they just like to hear what they want to hear. When they hear what they don't want to hear, or not aligned with their opinions, they like to attack that poster personally, b/c they think their opinions are better than someone else's. But they cannot win. And they feel mad. They think they are clever A (you know what A means), but they are not clever. They wanted to Ignore someone, but they could not b/c of the stupid curiosity and action. That's not clever, girl!

In addition, jealous much about I stated about I saw Justice in my workplace? Enough said.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Scorekeeping is so middle school. Surprised the OP still does it...
Lots of people on here like to gang up and act like in middle school and HS also. Those like to point out others; but they don't see themselves full of it, or they don't want to admit it.

I did not do scorekeeping. Someone just wanted to judge someone else and made a name for what I was telling the truth. Probably those were in the side of the bad management or the tricky, cheating employees. Birds of the same feathers flock together.

Old 11-14-2023, 06:26 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,181,664 times
Is there a Cliff's Notes version of the OP?
I find it hard to believe that any situation requires a wall of text to be explained enough for others to understand.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Is there a Cliff's Notes version of the OP?
I find it hard to believe that any situation requires a wall of text to be explained enough for others to understand.
People come on here for many reasons: vent, rant, complain, “explain”, ask for advice, decompress, share their events in their life, etc., … all kinds of things. Some posts are short, some others are long. The readers like to read them or not, that’s up to them. Many people don’t have patience to read long posts. Many cannot comprehend some people’s posts. But most like to jump in, to criticize others or give advice, like they want to show they are very smart, clever, expert, even they are not. Many of them are bored, old, or young maybe, and have no job for whatever reasons, nothing to do, and they are cranky and bitter. They want to come here, gang up (like in middle school or HS) to bully, criticize, put down others and think they are superior than the OPs (not only mine, but in general with many others’). Not all are like that though, to be fair. Many are truly good and nice.

I believe some people cannot stand my OP b/c they are jealous to hear when I expressed there was light at the end of the dark tunnel for me. They must be on the side of the bad/mean management or the “sick”, lazy, tricky, cheating employees. They could not stand to hear what I said. They feel offended. They feel upset, mad to hear I pointed out the ugly truth. That’s their problem.

Anyway, after this, I won’t care to reply to any posters in this thread anymore. They are not important to me. I want to save my time and energy to do some better things. I will ignore all the posters who are against me in this thread without having to put them in my Ignore List.

Have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment