Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 12:29 PM

1,075 posts, read 555,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
Still applies. Plenty of people afraid to move and are living in places they can’t afford because their parents are close. If there were ever any advice to get in your 20’s with zero commitments other than work- move for the job, it will mature you.
Am Millennial, work with Millennials, know many Millennials. None of this is true IME. The only Millennials I know (1 or 2?) who are living at home are those with significant mental or physical impairments. All the Millennials I know and am good friends with are working professionals living in homes that are worth $500k or more or paying rents of $1500 or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 12:46 PM

491 posts, read 472,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Am Millennial, work with Millennials, know many Millennials. None of this is true IME. The only Millennials I know (1 or 2?) who are living at home are those with significant mental or physical impairments. All the Millennials I know and am good friends with are working professionals living in homes that are worth $500k or more or paying rents of $1500 or more.
Data says otherwise. I’m also talking about people leaving the area in which they grew up.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:54 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
If you look on the news and do a little research and see how many companies are laying off and how crooked/corrupt/inept corporate management is today, you would think twice about ever moving for a job today.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:32 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
People are moving to cheaper states. But people aren't moving for a better paying job? Really feels like Americans are being status quo happy. That's not my speed but I'm glad so many are happy settling with less. It makes me look better.

Old 11-18-2023, 06:40 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Still applies. Plenty of people afraid to move and are living in places they can’t afford because their parents are close. If there were ever any advice to get in your 20’s with zero commitments other than work- move for the job, it will mature you.
I did this and a big part of me regrets it. I have zero siblings, and my parents are facing aging in place with a massive caregiver shortage/crisis coming over the next 10 years or so. Since I am struggling to find an employer that will let me take unpaid leave, I have to decide whether or not to quit an otherwise very good job in order to help them move and get settled in closer to where I live (or at least closer to where I am employable in my profession).

I'm not saying not to move away from family, but you should have ideally a 12-month emergency fund to cover situations like this so you at least have the option of outright quitting a job if you can't get the unpaid leave you need.

Old 11-18-2023, 08:57 AM

844 posts, read 420,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I did this and a big part of me regrets it. I have zero siblings, and my parents are facing aging in place with a massive caregiver shortage/crisis coming over the next 10 years or so. Since I am struggling to find an employer that will let me take unpaid leave, I have to decide whether or not to quit an otherwise very good job in order to help them move and get settled in closer to where I live (or at least closer to where I am employable in my profession).

I'm not saying not to move away from family, but you should have ideally a 12-month emergency fund to cover situations like this so you at least have the option of outright quitting a job if you can't get the unpaid leave you need.
I was in a similar situation. We moved 2,000 miles away because of my job and stayed for 10 years, but my folks are in their 90s and I realized we want to spend more time with them and be there for them. Fortunately, I was able to transferred back to California and had the company moved me. The COL is obviously higher, but sometime you just can't base decisions on finances alone. There's something more important.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:11 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
There is no job security in America to justify moving far away for one.. Thats just the facts. You could relocate and within a month the company will tell you they are downsizing and they no longer need your services. Its essentially a waste of time and money in many cases. Decades ago? Sure. Companies used to grow their workforce and care about them.. That hasn't been the case in a long while. I would never move far and away and rely on some crappy employer to keep me on. Most of them are dysfunctional today and hardly capable of keeping their business LOL.

You're better off staying where you are, hunting, and just hope you luck out
I very much agree.

The only reasons I would consider relocation these days is if I wanted to try out a new area for social or recreational purposes or if my area severely declined in quality of life.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:31 PM

1,075 posts, read 555,519 times
Quote:
Data says otherwise. I’m also talking about people leaving the area in which they grew up.
Which data are you referring to? Without really trying, I found several sources that say otherwise. I live in a very transient city, so the large majority of Millennials I know have moved away from home (including myself). I'd also argue that Millennials and Gen Zers are far more open to a transient lifestyle than older generations.

Younger generations are moving more than others

The Great Millennial Migration

Millennials Are Moving More Frequently Than Previous Generations

Quote:
Millennials and members of the Gen Z generation are not only moving out of state in greater percentages than current baby boomers and Gen Xers, they’re also moving more often than those generations did when they were in their 20s and 30s, according to research by TransUnion credit reporting agency.

Old 11-22-2023, 03:30 PM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I guess this will just be used as another excuse for some to stay in their parents' basement playing Call of Duty instead of having a job.

Or say they won't work for less than $70K/year in an entry level data entry job.
Or they can do "reaction" videos to 80's music on YouTube and pretend they are "content creators".

Old 11-22-2023, 03:34 PM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itouchyou View Post
I have always wondered how people were willing to take the risk on buying a home considering their job could be cut, and they might not be able to find one nearby.

If it were me I wouldn't want to buy a home unless I had enough living expenses to last for a few years, sounds super risky.
Professional atheletes usually RENT their first home until they get that second contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment