Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 12:01 PM

142 posts, read 84,910 times

Advertisements

Anyone have one of those? I've worked at my present job for over a decade and my boss keeps giving me raises, so I'm not going to leave, but sometimes he gets on my nerves.

One day, he'll be super friendly towards me and then on the the next day, he'll seem perturbed that I'm there. One time, I asked him if everything is okay, and he responded with "yes" in an angry tone of voice. Also, I've noticed that when he's mad, his legs will start jumping up and down, but he never tells me what made him mad.

I just try to ignore it. As a side note, I'm definitely looking forward to retirement. I've worked with too many unpleasant people over the years, and I'm looking forward to spending my days with people that I choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 12:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
oh, so you are in the exact same pleasant mood every minute of every day?

Old 11-17-2023, 12:56 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Yes.. They are called bipolar and/or sociopaths

Last edited by DorianRo; 11-17-2023 at 01:13 PM..

Old 11-17-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yes.. They are called bipolar and/or sociopaths
I think he's bipolar.

Old 11-17-2023, 02:31 PM

For example, sometimes I'll call him in Microsoft Teams about something, and he'll answer the call with "What?" in an angry voice. Then the next day, I'll call about something and he'll answer in a pleasant tone with "Sir, what do you need?"

I think DorianRo is right about him being bipolar. I don't think he's sociopathic though. He can be very nice and friendly at times. Also, he keeps giving me raises and seems to care about my professional development.

Old 11-17-2023, 04:23 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
worked with one of these. One minute was my best friend other hostile. I want to make sure I avoid this in the future. I don't want a best friend or hostility at work - both suck.

Old 11-17-2023, 04:26 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
You've never been irritated by something or acted out because of it? Hard to believe. Turn it around. Maybe he's opting to spare you by not confiding in (burdening) you about stuff that isn't your beeswax. If your supervisor filled your ear with complaints about what influences his mood of the moment, you'd probably hate that too. Guy can't win for losing. He's human. Why do you expect your supervisor to be an emotional automaton? Just because someone shows their emotions doesn't mean they're bipolar. If he truly was a sociopath he wouldn't care about you. No raises or interest in your professional development at all.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-17-2023 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-17-2023, 07:06 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
I once had a terrific boss who was also very moody. I took a call from his wife once because he was out. I don’t remember how we got on the topic, but I told her “sometimes in the morning I just have to stick my toe in the pool to see what the water is like” and she just laughed. She KNEW.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:38 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
I just try to ignore it. As a side note, I'm definitely looking forward to retirement. I've worked with too many unpleasant people over the years, and I'm looking forward to spending my days with people that I choose.
I once worked as a temp for a company that distributed tools for body shops. We had one assistant supervisor who was a sarcastic jerk, you asked him a question and he would always have some kind of sarcastic response.

One day he said something and I said "Do you always have to respond like you're an a******?"

His response was "If you don't like it, then go find somewhere else to work"

Which I did the next week. Sometimes there were great advantages to being a temp.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:56 PM

990 posts, read 543,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
For example, sometimes I'll call him in Microsoft Teams about something, and he'll answer the call with "What?" in an angry voice. Then the next day, I'll call about something and he'll answer in a pleasant tone with "Sir, what do you need?"

I think DorianRo is right about him being bipolar. I don't think he's sociopathic though. He can be very nice and friendly at times. Also, he keeps giving me raises and seems to care about my professional development.
The issue is his not yours. His abruptness/stress is with the issue (whatever that may be) not with you so dont take it personally. He's probably unaware as to how he comes across to others. Is it just you or do the other employees feel the same as you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment