Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 07:31 AM

12,936 posts, read 9,201,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimijel View Post
It’s literally the WFH staffs job to answer electronic messages. If I am physically at the desk I don’t open teams/email, that’s my managers instructions since the in person tasks keep us busy enough and the WFH staff should pull their weight- but they don’t, that’s the point.
I'm sorry, but I'm not following. Why would you not answer Teams or email while in the office? Is your manager forcing everyone to come to you in person to get answers? How is your job different in the office vs at home?

How do those who are working from home perform on their days in the office? What does your manager do about those who aren't performing at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 07:41 AM

35,237 posts, read 31,587,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not following. Why would you not answer Teams or email while in the office? Is your manager forcing everyone to come to you in person to get answers? How is your job different in the office vs at home?

How do those who are working from home perform on their days in the office? What does your manager do about those who aren't performing at home?
That's sort of implied in any "desk job," isn't it?

If someone is up and about all the time, that's one thing. I always try to ensure I'm extra punctual on emails/Teams when WFH. It's just about presenting a professional image.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:11 AM

29 posts, read 8,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Have you ever been to a reception desk? If I have a queue of people in front of me and each has a task that takes up 5 - 10min to complete then how am I also supposed to answer electronic requests at the same time? There isn’t the actual time. And my entire shift is that busy. Thankfully my job is considerate of us getting our full lunch break! But that’s the division of Labour, in person front desk sees the in person customers and the WFH team handles all the electronic requests .

Old 05-06-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimijel View Post
Have you ever been to a reception desk? If I have a queue of people in front of me and each has a task that takes up 5 - 10min to complete then how am I also supposed to answer electronic requests at the same time? There isn’t the actual time. And my entire shift is that busy. Thankfully my job is considerate of us getting our full lunch break! But that’s the division of Labour, in person front desk sees the in person customers and the WFH team handles all the electronic requests .
That's what I'm trying to understand. You're really describing two different jobs. So naturally the workflows are going to be different. If you're trying to say the WFH staff aren't doing their jobs, then that's a management problem, not a WFH problem.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:14 AM

29 posts, read 8,119 times
But the actual tasks are identical for both groups so it’s not two different jobs, it’s the same job but with two different pathways. They are both performed by the same team of employees under one manager in a shift system.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:46 AM

9,507 posts, read 8,507,748 times
Are we now talking about a receptionist? Lol. Of course a receptionist should be in office, unsure what that has to do with WFH at all here. Yet another example of someone coming here to show that their one, special job requires them to be in an office, "therefore you all should be in an office too."

Old 05-06-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Are we now talking about a receptionist? Lol. Of course a receptionist should be in office, unsure what that has to do with WFH at all here. Yet another example of someone coming here to show that their one, special job requires them to be in an office, "therefore you all should be in an office too."
Yep. That's what it sounds like.

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,110,140 times
The RTO movement stalled in 2023 | LinkedIn

Quote:
New badge swiping data from Kastle shows that the return-to-office movement actually stalled in 2023, despite rally cries around the importance of in-person collaboration from CEOs at large employers. While there was rising office occupancy throughout 2021 and 2022, occupancy has since plateaued, signaling a new normal.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM

8,375 posts, read 3,861,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
"31% of firms have employees in the office five days a week, 32% are fully flexible and 37% are hybrid at 2-3 days in the office a week."

This is a reasonable split. I suspect more will move towards hybrid and end up more like 20% five days, 20% fully flexible and 60% hybrid. Businesses are realizing that there's no need to be in the office 5 days/week and 2-3 days is sufficient.

Old Today, 08:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,852 posts, read 81,846,971 times
Any push here where I work has failed. Our management proclaimed that unless you are in the office at least 50% of the time, you will lose your dedicated work space. People didn't care, they are happy to remove their personal items and use a "hot desk" on their 1-2 days in the office every week. Our office that pre-Covid was 400 people on 3 floors now averages about 30 people a day, maybe 50 on Wednesdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment