Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 06:23 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
No one said those roles are not critical to our economy and lives, but to sit behind the wheel of a truck and drive all day, every day simply does not require a ton of intellect. Does it require some? Sure. Does it have its own skillset? Absolutely. But does one need to have a MBA to drive a truck? Absolutely not. Lets not try and be all high and mighty here saying these types of jobs/careers require a ton of intellect because they do not.

I just KNEW someone would come here with this response.
I agree wholeheartedly. The factory jobs and rote jobs that used to absorb the low IQs just don't exist in large numbers anymore because of lack of manufacture and also mechanization.

However, it's possible to find the lower level jobs within certain professions. It's the difference between a supermarket bagger and a supermarket manager for example. It's the difference between a modern farmer and their fruit pickers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 08:17 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My adopted grandson is also low IQ as well as diagnosed with oppositional defiance disorder. At 14, he won't follow directions and smarts off to adults and not sure he could keep a job. His birth parents also could never hold a job. I think the landscaping work would probably be best for him. It will be a challenge.

I also have a grown nephew who has a low IQ and didn't get a job until he was 35. He's been working as a stocker at Walmart and thankfully has a kind boss. He's still living with his parents and doesn't drive.

The thing is, if they're not capable of a lot, they really can't be trusted to make the right decisions all the time.
ODD is one of the diagnosis. It's a really tough one to deal with. Makes these kids very unlikeable, which is a really bad combination (low IQ and unlikeable). My sympathies to your kid and grandson. Hope things work out for the best. God bless.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:21 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
No one said those roles are not critical to our economy and lives, but to sit behind the wheel of a truck and drive all day, every day simply does not require a ton of intellect. Does it require some? Sure. Does it have its own skillset? Absolutely. But does one need to have a MBA to drive a truck? Absolutely not. Lets not try and be all high and mighty here saying these types of jobs/careers require a ton of intellect because they do not.

I just KNEW someone would come here with this response.
False equivalency. There's nothing about an MBA that makes someone smart enough to drive a truck.

Seriously, too many people confuse education with IQ. Lack of a college education does not mean a low IQ. It means different choices.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:01 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
False equivalency. There's nothing about an MBA that makes someone smart enough to drive a truck.

Seriously, too many people confuse education with IQ. Lack of a college education does not mean a low IQ. It means different choices.
There's no false equivalency at all here. It's been proven through studies, here is just one:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2991...20intelligence.

If you don't want to read through it, here's a summary:

Intelligence test scores and educational duration are positively correlated. This correlation could be interpreted in two ways: Students with greater propensity for intelligence go on to complete more education, or a longer education increases intelligence.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:25 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
There's no false equivalency at all here. It's been proven through studies, here is just one:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2991...20intelligence.

If you don't want to read through it, here's a summary:

Intelligence test scores and educational duration are positively correlated. This correlation could be interpreted in two ways: Students with greater propensity for intelligence go on to complete more education, or a longer education increases intelligence.
Still doesn't imply that those who haven't attended college are unintelligent. Only implies that those who complete college have a level of intelligence to complete it. Nothing in that implies that not going to college means someone is unintelligent.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:18 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Real question: What jobs (or better yet, careers) are out there for people that are getting out of high school that have a low IQ? Lots of trouble reading and with reading comprehension, little understanding of math, etc.? Basically, a D (at best) student. What can these kinds of kids do to make a decent living that can support a family?
If it were one of my children, I would encourage them to consider joining a union and they will help place them. I have several friends in union positions and they do very well for themselves relatively. Everything is planned out for their entire work life from entry to retirement. The main requirement is doing what you are told, being disciplined to maintain your role, and simply staying out of trouble. Depending on which union, the benefits are a no-brainer, and after 25 years or so, they can typically retire with full benefits. That means some will retire in their 50s while the rest of us in the private sector keep on working until our 60s. Most will continue with easier part-time jobs afterward with the skills they picked up during their time with the union. It is important that he/she starts earlier than later in life so they can make the 25+ years without too much injury and/or wear on the body assuming their role will most likely going to require manual labor.

Many mentioned truck driving. That is certainly one choice that it is unionized and a good option. Again, stay out of trouble as to maintain your CDL, discipline to maintain a schedule, and be able to be on the road a lot away from home. I have one friend that is a hazmat owner operator truck driver. I have no idea how much he makes but judging from his multiple properties I would guess well into the 6 digit earnings range. Took a very long time and hard work to get there tho.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:30 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
If it were one of my kids, I would say go into the military. Teach them discipline and give them structure. They could get a pension from that as well if the person really enjoyed military life.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:54 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
If it were one of my kids, I would say go into the military. Teach them discipline and give them structure. They could get a pension from that as well if the person really enjoyed military life.
Just what any of the branches need, a low IQ, non-reader, non-math capable unmotivated individual.

Yes, they've loosened up requirements recently but he's still not who they want.

The minimum ASVAB score for all branches is 31 except the Coast Guard, which is 40.

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice...nt/asvab-score

Old 03-07-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Still doesn't imply that those who haven't attended college are unintelligent. Only implies that those who complete college have a level of intelligence to complete it. Nothing in that implies that not going to college means someone is unintelligent.
Well of course not, no one said that. Someone simply asked for jobs/careers with low IQs and we listed them. By your logic, OP's friend should apply to become a brain surgeon or microbiologist because "there are smart people who didn't go to college and don't have degrees!"

Old 03-07-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just what any of the branches need, a low IQ, non-reader, non-math capable unmotivated individual.

Yes, they've loosened up requirements recently but he's still not who they want.

The minimum ASVAB score for all branches is 31 except the Coast Guard, which is 40.

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice...nt/asvab-score
I think you need to meet a few drill sergeants to understand their methods to motivate those who show up unmotivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment