Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 07:05 PM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So, giving an applicant a ridiculous question to answer and when they push back, that proves they're some kind of drama queen that you wouldn't want in your org.

Actually, with this approach, you're going to filter out the good, ethical candidates and bring in the exact kind of back-stabbers that ruin an org.

Good luck with that!
You're exactly correct. They're not looking for truthful, honest answers. They're looking for political talking points that will curry favor with the audience. Any politician or cunning sociopath will tell them exactly what they want to hear in order to get exactly what they want out of them. Unfortunately, this is the game we are forced to play against our best instincts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 10:17 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
It's incredibly unprofessional, and there's no good way to answer it.

Looking back at my immediate previous four managers, I have two I loved, one I like, and one I'm neutral on. Going back further than that, there was one piece of work, a neutral manager, another piece of work, a couple of neutral ones.

No matter how you really feel about that fourth one, they're always going to ask about the person who was last, and why. If the person was awful, you're going to be viewed as a complainer. If they weren't, you're going to be asked why you left.

Looking back at the previous two managers at my former employer, I'd have had no problems staying there, and under them, had the wider system corporate culture been better. I got tired of the blame game, constant after-hours calls and work, no work-life balance, etc., poor PTO, etc.

Maybe some of it was that I was used to having female managers for years. These two were whip-smart, attractive, and accomplished. We didn't really care for the organization. The first one knew me for years, and knew exactly how to calm me down before I blew up. I probably didn't have the skillset to hold the job I did after a merger, but I quickly became her "fixer." While the relationship never became "inappropriate," we were likely way too close and shared too much about our personal lives to each other for a typical manager/subordinate relationship.

I only reported to the second one for a few months, and while she was a contractor (yes, we had FTEs reporting to contracted managers in white collar, senior IT roles), we circled the wagons, commiserated, and have supported each other in our subsequent ventures.

I don't think I ever had much more than forty hours PTO there after nearly seven years. That was used for everything - sick/holiday/vacation. Go to the doctor as a salaried employee? You bill that PTO down to fifteen minute increments. The organization is reviled locally. It was just a horrible place to work, even though my immediate management for the nearly seven years I worked there was decent to excellent.

Anyone could see where I worked, and any casual research would reveal the place was a mess. Yes, some of these reasons I left were esoteric to the public (I was over a software system that was used to alert on-call physicians at multiple tertiary hospitals, which ended up bringing tons of technical and procedural issues on my head alone), but much of the ill-will is now public.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:26 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kati92 View Post
I've been asked to rate my 4 previous managers as part of an interview questionnaire...Never been asked this before? Should I provide the names? It feels like a trick question....

Never heard of this interview question before, but thanks for the heads-up in case I'm asked this.

I'd probably say something like (& this is the honest truth), I had positive experiences w/ them all & I learned a lot from them in the position I held.

(If they want me to expand a little more, I'd say...) one of them was the type of boss anyone would dream to have for a boss. He was just one of those one-of-a-kind people.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:44 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Never heard of this interview question before, but thanks for the heads-up in case I'm asked this.

I'd probably say something like (& this is the honest truth), I had positive experiences w/ them all & I learned a lot from them in the position I held.

(If they want me to expand a little more, I'd say...) one of them was the type of boss anyone would dream to have for a boss. He was just one of those one-of-a-kind people.
I'd just end the interview.

People leave previous employers for any variety of reasons. I didn't leave mine for bad immediate management. If someone said "you left because you had a bad boss," that wouldn't be accurate at all, and would diminish the pile of problems that were obvious elsewhere.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
I'm a hiring manager. It's an interesting question from that perspective.

Rate them high to not affect the interview process.

Best of luck.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Red flag. I would walk away from this opportunity. They sound like jerks.

But, if you have to work there... I would simply decline to say anything about my "4 previous managers". It's none of their business and somewhat ridiculous. "I'm sorry, but I'm not at liberty to reveal personal details about any of my previous places of employment." If they persist and say "We're not asking for personal details" then you can simply say "Then how do you know I'm not just making stuff up? Let's move on and talk about what I can do for you, not what it was like in my previous places of work."
I hope that;s just your Internet personality talking.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:10 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I hope that;s just your Internet personality talking.
Nope. Anyway, if I were honest, I'd say "Well, the last guy I worked for was a total ******* who screwed me out of my job. I wouldn't walk across the street to save his life. He's a worthless ****. And the previous three... don't ask me; I've completely suppressed the trauma!"

Old 03-12-2024, 11:11 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
The "correct" answer, just like the correct answer if HR ever asks you to "anonymously" rate your manager, is that they are perfect. Part of your job in a corporation is to make your manager look good. If you have anything negative to say about your old managers you might have negative things to say about your prospective one down the line. Speaking badly of current or former coworkers, especially your manager, is self-defeating.

HR really shouldn't be allowing hiring managers to screen for this in an interview, but that's not your problem.
I agree. This kind of question is a trap. It doesn't truly value honesty as it is designed to punish those who are honest in a negative manner. That said, I've constructively criticized previous employer relationships, but it was in a way that we all came together to get over certain challenges and make a project/the business better.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Nope. Anyway, if I were honest, I'd say "Well, the last guy I worked for was a total ******* who screwed me out of my job. I wouldn't walk across the street to save his life. He's a worthless ****. And the previous three... don't ask me; I've completely suppressed the trauma!"
Diplomacy and tact is a valuable skill that will help get you ahead.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:42 PM

118 posts, read 77,677 times
My previous managers where all promoted rather quickly after I started working for them. They were all gracious in thanking me for making it all possible for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment