Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 07:57 AM

78 posts, read 77,210 times

Advertisements

Background:

I've been job hunting for about a year now. It's been hard for me because I have golden handcuffs and need to find a place that's at least on par with where I work now. I am not at a place where I need to find new work, so I am trying to not take a pay cut. Because of that, I've only applied to a handful of jobs in that past year (jobs that 1. pay well and 2. I really would enjoy working at).

While I am in not real rush since I have a job now; I know my workplace is dying. I was accidentally shown the recent numbers last month. Since I started working there (going on 14 years now), revenues are down 50%. It's not going to last and I may be low hanging fruit because I am senior on staff and am compensated as such. Past cuts have been other senior staff who were well compensated. Unfortunately, they replaced them with fresh out of college greenhorns. These new people are well meaning, but my goodness do they need a lot of hand holding and extra help. And there are so many of them now, it's hard to carry them all.

Subject in title begins:

As staff where I work are let go and quit, I am dragged into the hiring process for new people because the boss wants my perspective as a long-term employee. I've noticed most of these applicants are following the same advice I've been following regrading the "right" and "wrong" thing to say to hiring managers. And because of that, they all blur together and seem as dull dishwater. But the real stand outs are the ones who get hired and they don't always follow the right and wrong things to say.

What do I mean? A good example is the interviewer asking me why I am leaving where I work. Instead of the stale old, "I am looking to grow, a new challenge, etc, etc." I could say, "I don't think my current job will be around in a year or so. It's dying because the industry we serve is being replaced by AI. Things are okay now, but it's not financially sustainable and I believe I will be looking for work in the next year or two because of this. So while I have the luxury of time, I am looking for a new position at a place where I would really love to work instead of a place I am forced to work. I am being picky, which is why I focused on your company's ad. I know can be passionate about like (your company) because X, Y, and Z."

I could throw in wanting to grow and a new challenge as well, but maybe frame it in a way that communicates how I am excited about the opportunely to learn new things and have new challenge.

From everything I've read and watched about job hunting, the right answer includes never speaking ill of where you work now and the answer to give seems to be that dull as dishwater looking to grow stuff. Maybe that works for younger people, but I think I am unusual in that I've been at the same place for well over a decade. It seems that most people hop around a lot anymore/every 3-5 years or so based on the resumes I've asked to review. And I think my loyalty to where I work now is making me come into question since every employer I've interviewed with has brought it up in a way that leads me to think they don't believe I will really leave.

What do you think? I have another upcoming interview and I think I am going to try it out. Will it work or am I just shooting myself in the foot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 08:25 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
I think it is OK to touch on the fact that you think your time in your current role has come to a close, but I wouldn't dwell on it unless they ask. It may seem 'dull' to you, but part of the situation is that you are selling yourself in an interview. Who cares whether you yourself feel it is a 'dull' answer; focus on and frame the discussion on the positives about moving into the new role with the new company.

Think about it this way: You are in a relationship with a guy/girl and it fizzles out. You start dating again and someone new you are dating asks why you are interested in dating them. And, instead of talking about why you are interested in THEM, you instead say "well my last relationship ended, so I guess it just feels like it's time to try dating someone new". If they have their choice of multiple people to date, how likely is that answer going to make them want to spend more time with you?

Interviews are competitive by nature. Sometimes an honest answer that is 'dull' to you makes you an equally 'dull' candidate.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
As a hiring manager what makes the biggest difference to me in deciding between two or more otherwise equal candidates is demonstrating their enthusiasm for working for us. Your answer for the reason for leaving is fine, but then you need to give your reason for applying to that particular job. Just saying that you want a job where you "would really love to work instead of a place I am forced to work" would not do it for me. You are still referencing many possible employers. Some of my recent hires have done the research, and cited actual details of that they have found out about working here, things like advancement opportunities, challenges, work-life balance, and our place in the community. Their conversation indicated that they wanted to work here, not just for any place that meets their requirements.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:48 PM

7,724 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a hiring manager what makes the biggest difference to me in deciding between two or more otherwise equal candidates is demonstrating their enthusiasm for working for us. Your answer for the reason for leaving is fine, but then you need to give your reason for applying to that particular job. Just saying that you want a job where you "would really love to work instead of a place I am forced to work" would not do it for me. You are still referencing many possible employers. Some of my recent hires have done the research, and cited actual details of that they have found out about working here, things like advancement opportunities, challenges, work-life balance, and our place in the community. Their conversation indicated that they wanted to work here, not just for any place that meets their requirements.
I agree with Hemlock.

Regarding current employer, you can always allude to the world is changing, technology is changing, and you want to help a winning team win - and you think the employer with whom you are interviewing can be a winner where you see yourself adding significant value.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:09 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
To piggyback off Hemlock, candidates who do their research generally fare pretty well in the hiring process. Example, "I know you were formed on this date, this is what you do, this is your reach, this is your mission statement" etc. and then they say how they can help us with our mission and goals.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:12 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
To piggyback off Hemlock, candidates who do their research generally fare pretty well in the hiring process. Example, "I know you were formed on this date, this is what you do, this is your reach, this is your mission statement" etc. and then they say how they can help us with our mission and goals.
My workplace has a pretty open website and blog where there's a lot of information about what we do. I was recently on a hiring committee and it was obvious who'd actually looked at the website and could describe specific projects and priorities and who was just talking about the job title in general.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:35 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I think it is OK to touch on the fact that you think your time in your current role has come to a close, but I wouldn't dwell on it unless they ask. It may seem 'dull' to you, but part of the situation is that you are selling yourself in an interview. Who cares whether you yourself feel it is a 'dull' answer; focus on and frame the discussion on the positives about moving into the new role with the new company.

Think about it this way: You are in a relationship with a guy/girl and it fizzles out. You start dating again and someone new you are dating asks why you are interested in dating them. And, instead of talking about why you are interested in THEM, you instead say "well my last relationship ended, so I guess it just feels like it's time to try dating someone new". If they have their choice of multiple people to date, how likely is that answer going to make them want to spend more time with you?

Interviews are competitive by nature. Sometimes an honest answer that is 'dull' to you makes you an equally 'dull' candidate.
Just realized I mistyped on my closing sentence which muddies my whole message. I meant to say "Sometimes avoiding an answer that is 'dull' to you makes you an equally dull candidate'. But mostly I just agree with what the other posters have been saying.

Demonstrate enthusiasm for working for the new employer, highlight that you've done some research on the company, use that information to tie into your enthusiasm, and avoid dwelling too much on why you're leaving.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:19 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
The simple answer is you should be able to figure out what the interviewer wants to hear and say those things. That's the best chance of getting the job. The biggest flaw for interviews in general is that people who are good at speaking get extra points while those who aren't get points deducted. But in my experience being good at speaking has zero relevance on job performance unless of course the job itself is public speaking.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:32 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I hear what you are saying, I hate being "dull" myself as that's not my personality at all. However, in a professional setting "dull" often gets the job as you're seen as the safe, steady employee vs. someone who might be brutally honest to the point of shooting themselves in the foot.

I interview people as well and I don't mind the cliche' answers as that tells me they have prepared and know what NOT to say during an interview (namely, badmouthing former employers and/or managers). If someone were to be honest (see: not dull) and say they cannot stand their manager or the suddenly despise their job or hey, if they're really being 100% honest they might say "Your job will pay me more to do the same thing" I don't see that as a positive at all. One of the best answers to the question as to why you are looking to leave is that you've mastered the job and have outgrown the job and are seeking more challenging work. In my experience people who say versions of that are often seen in the most positive light.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:58 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I hear what you are saying, I hate being "dull" myself as that's not my personality at all. However, in a professional setting "dull" often gets the job as you're seen as the safe, steady employee vs. someone who might be brutally honest to the point of shooting themselves in the foot.

I interview people as well and I don't mind the cliche' answers as that tells me they have prepared and know what NOT to say during an interview (namely, badmouthing former employers and/or managers). If someone were to be honest (see: not dull) and say they cannot stand their manager or the suddenly despise their job or hey, if they're really being 100% honest they might say "Your job will pay me more to do the same thing" I don't see that as a positive at all. One of the best answers to the question as to why you are looking to leave is that you've mastered the job and have outgrown the job and are seeking more challenging work. In my experience people who say versions of that are often seen in the most positive light.
Your points reminds me of this one person I interviewed once who very honestly confessed he really just needed the insurance on why he needed the job. I appreciate the honesty but it's probably better to give a boilerplate dull answer instead of revealing the desperation which unfortunately, isn't a good look during interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment