Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 07:05 AM

315 posts, read 299,401 times

Advertisements

Just received an email which was also sent to 30 other people and all it says was "Thanks Jim". Jim had
included the person in a weekly meeting.

The email had absolutely no value to members of the group. The sender could've replied to Jim privately. It brought me to a question. "When exactly should you use the "reply-all" button?

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have that problem sometimes. Recently one of the directors sent out a nice email announcing that a senior manager was retiring, to everyone. At least a couple of dozen people did "reply all" with their congratulations.

I will only use it when everyone on the original email needs to be included in my answer. Sometimes I will even hit "reply all" but then delete a few of the names that don't really need it. Probably worse for me is when someone doesn't know who to ask about something so sends it to 20 of us. They could easily just ask me and I would refer them to the right person.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:43 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I hit "reply all' when everyone needs to see my reply.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:53 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Just received an email which was also sent to 30 other people and all it says was "Thanks Jim". Jim had

The email had absolutely no value to members of the group. The sender could've replied to Jim privately. It brought me to a question. "When exactly should you use the "reply-all" button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have that problem sometimes. Recently one of the directors sent out a nice email announcing that a senior manager was retiring, to everyone. At least a couple of dozen people did "reply all" with their congratulations.

I will only use it when everyone on the original email needs to be included in my answer. Sometimes I will even hit "reply all" but then delete a few of the names that don't really need it. Probably worse for me is when someone doesn't know who to ask about something so sends it to 20 of us. They could easily just ask me and I would refer them to the right person.
Both those situations seem a good use. In the first case, the sender was publicly thanking the person for something. What's wrong with that? Thank in public; chastise in private.

Likewise with the second. Someone's retirement is a good opportunity for everyone to recognize them and their future.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:58 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
I only will reply all if everyone needs to see my response. And in most cases, it's with a small group.
I pretty much will NEVER 'reply all' if it's a big distribution list.

Actually - when I send an announcement out to a large list, I'll use the BCC function to avoid the ability to reply all (unless the person replying manually adds list).

Old 04-09-2024, 08:13 AM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times
A group of 3-4 Master Gardeners meet every week to answer incoming questions at the extension office. Everyone is sent the questions ahead of time, and as we have answers, or supporting information, we forward them to all.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:27 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post

You "Reply All" when "all" need to know the information/subject.

I was an elected official for years and once we got email "Reply All" became a pain because legally every official email had to be retained and archived. So one of my colleagues would ask a question to Town staff via email, mostly about something the rest of us didn't need to know, and we'd all get the email. The staff would respond, usually just to the questioner who would then send out a "Thanks" to all of us. One or two people were 90% of that.

I had a Vice Principal who would do drive through observations of a teacher and then send the observation feedback form to every staff member, a variation of "Reply All".

Old 04-09-2024, 08:34 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I never use it on a DL.

Part of that is the organization's culture. My current job and the one prior to that are "reply all" happy. It seems to be used often here. It was rarely used at previous jobs.

Old 04-09-2024, 01:22 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Usually, when everyone needs to see the response from me. Usually, these are “CYA” situations…(cover your a**)

Old 04-09-2024, 01:44 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
When I want to reply to everyone on the distribution list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment