Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 10:36 AM

295 posts, read 205,102 times

Advertisements

My colleague has a bad habit of complaining about the manager and team members to me. I don't say anything as I look at my screen and do my work when he is talking. This colleague has a grievance against the manager and the manager has made a counter allegation.

I find my job stressful as there is a lot of work involved and I have been covering work from a long term vacant post which was only recently filled - my role should get better once new person takes on the extra tasks. Today I forgot he was in the office and he was moaning. I don't want to get involved in office politics and hearing about the same incidents is getting me down. Other colleagues have stopped talking to him.

I can arrange my calendar to go in on the days he is not in. Anyone got any other tips? Negative people like him make the job worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 10:39 AM

22,653 posts, read 47,843,952 times
Have you ever told him you are busy right now and don't have the time to talk/listen right now?

Old 04-19-2024, 10:42 AM

9,893 posts, read 14,179,632 times
"While I see that you are having issues with the manager, and I sympathize, I do not want to engage in negative conversations about people at work".

And then just stop talking to him and do your work.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:44 AM

738 posts, read 771,168 times
OP,

Why not just tell him straight up, You need to concentrate on work and would not want to be bother by distractions or other people's business.

Old 04-19-2024, 03:11 PM

12,891 posts, read 9,135,483 times
I don't know about the OP's case, but there are some people who don't get it even when you tell them straight up. They just keep standing at your desk chatting away for an hour or more. Worked with one whom even a closed door didn't phase. They'd just open the door and come in uninvited and start yapping. You could tell them "I'm on a telecon" and they'll just respond "Oh, that doesn't bother me and keep yapping." Politely asking them to leave doesn't register with them, then you're left with being rude which they turn into them being the victim.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:26 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,098,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
My colleague has a bad habit of complaining about the manager and team members to me. I don't say anything as I look at my screen and do my work when he is talking. This colleague has a grievance against the manager and the manager has made a counter allegation.
If all you do is continue working as he talks, you're sending a message that you don't mind and accept the whining. A message he's probably happy to get because he wants an ear...whether that ear is willing or not. Unless you're a total doormat, changing your work schedule just to avoid the guy shouldn't be necessary.

Instead of putting up with behavior you don't like and suffering in silence, you need to do something to send the message that you DON'T like it and you are no longer available! It's going to take longer to change his default behavior because you've put up with it up until now.

At first, try something a bit more subtle and less confrontational. Interrupt the diatribe every time it starts:

Explain that you've got a deadline to meet, you're about to leave to discuss something with another colleague, you're leaving for a break, lunch, a smoke, to attend a meeting, you're expecting a conference call or just about to make one (then pick up the phone), all sorts of ideas. Be consistent. Every time the guy starts in, stop him and actively disengage instead of ignoring him. OK, it's going to be disruptive to you initially, but what you're doing now obviously isn't working. Time to change things up.

If that doesn't work, I also agree you could inform him you prefer not to listen to his badmouthing/whining about grievances or other people. If he continues to bother you with it, give him an ultimatum and be prepared to follow through. You said others have already frozen him out. Join and borrow strength from their unified front.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-19-2024 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-21-2024, 01:45 PM

45,570 posts, read 60,857,128 times
Some realities have to be stated:
There will be negative people wherever you work.
Sometimes their complaints are legitimate.
Some will never say anything positive.
Most times nothing you say or do will change them.

I stayed out of the Faculty Room precisely because of those people (something my Cooperating Teacher told me about when I student taught). Well, the women who would take off their pantyhose and put them in the freezer to "clean" them factored into my avoiding the room too.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:41 AM

9,462 posts, read 8,445,041 times
Some people find that's a way to 'connect' with their colleagues unfortunately. I have had the displeasure of working with a few complainers recently and it's like nothing can please them. I had to just stop answering their calls/IMs or really slowing down my responses to sort of hint to them that I do not want to share in their misery.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:17 AM

23,634 posts, read 24,182,090 times
I usually avoid these types of colleagues like the plague. Other colleagues will usually avoid them also. They will eventually feel isolated from people at the office.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:18 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,824,879 times
OP - respectfully, you need to get comfortable with speaking your mind in a way that isn't too offensive but gets your point across in a direct and easily understood way. I mean that in a helpful way. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment