Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

600 posts, read 267,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
There is an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal entitled "Bosses Lose Their Patience With Staff Activists". While I agree that activism in the work place can be disruptive, what the employee does in their private lives is their own business.

Here is a quote from the WSJ that illustrates my point: "Numerous workers reported being fired from companies after writing contentious social --media posts about the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks in Israel or the war in Gaza."

If this is being written on company media, that's one thing, but when they express their opinions on social media and don't use the company name it's another. In a society where unemployment can result in homelessness, prohibiting an employee from expressing their opinions privately, violates invasion of privacy laws, and two provisions of the first amendment. An employee who had better "watch it" when expressing themselves privately becomes no more than a drone.
Barring egregioiusly offensive posts like racial epithets, raging misogyny, etc., employers need to stay out of their employees' social media, and that goes double for that particular topic.

One more reason I'm about to can the whole shebang and become an independent contractor. Employers have been overstepping their boundaries and trying to dictate what people can do and say on their own time. Nah. I trade my time and written words for a paycheck. The rest of my life is none of their god dang business!
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

34,094 posts, read 17,157,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post

One more reason I'm about to can the whole shebang and become an independent contractor. Employers have been overstepping their boundaries and trying to dictate what people can do and say on their own time. Nah. I trade my time and written words for a paycheck. The rest of my life is none of their god dang business!
That's hilarious. Every linkedin profile lists the employer name. Now I would be willing to consider a trade (1) No employee can list their employer anywhere on the internet, and then, and only then, what they say in their off hours is no one else's business.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

35,124 posts, read 31,403,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
Barring egregioiusly offensive posts like racial epithets, raging misogyny, etc., employers need to stay out of their employees' social media, and that goes double for that particular topic.

In reality, I think it's really unlikely this happens. This may happen at large organizations sort of known for advocacy on particular issues, but '"run of the mill" social media activity and posts - no one really cares about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment