Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:54 AM

491 posts, read 889,208 times

Advertisements

Thankfully, when I traveled frequently for my work; 50% most of the year, our department always traveled out first thing Monday morning and left Friday mid-morning. I didn't mind that at all, except those very early Mondays were rough. It was like having a 3 day work week, maybe 2 hours of work on Monday after arrival and 2 hours Friday morning before leaving for the airport. Had I been expected to fly out Sunday and get home late Friday, possibly getting stuck (happened before), and not making it home until Saturday; I probably wouldn't have taken up the job. Giving up half your weekend is no fun.

I'd rather be on a plane, in an airport, or driving vs. sitting at a desk in an office. My current job is 0 travel, and I go absolutely crazy. Travel and WFH really ruined me, and every job after that I've truly hated, being stuck in the same office all day, 5 days a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:18 AM

25,604 posts, read 17,334,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
Thankfully, when I traveled frequently for my work; 50% most of the year, our department always traveled out first thing Monday morning and left Friday mid-morning. I didn't mind that at all, except those very early Mondays were rough. It was like having a 3 day work week, maybe 2 hours of work on Monday after arrival and 2 hours Friday morning before leaving for the airport. Had I been expected to fly out Sunday and get home late Friday, possibly getting stuck (happened before), and not making it home until Saturday; I probably wouldn't have taken up the job. Giving up half your weekend is no fun.

I'd rather be on a plane, in an airport, or driving vs. sitting at a desk in an office. My current job is 0 travel, and I go absolutely crazy. Travel and WFH really ruined me, and every job after that I've truly hated, being stuck in the same office all day, 5 days a week.
Yeah. The best job I had was a WFH, covering 5 states as a sales territory.
I worked at it. There were many times I left on Sunday, and a few when I was too far from home to make it back until Saturday.
AND... I worked with my wife who traveled with me. Sometimes, with some customers, we even took out Shih Tzu along.
We were actually self employed manufacturer reps, and were paid straight commission.

After my sales career ended I still needed to work a few more years, so I drove an 18 wheeler - 5 years, 750,000 miles. There are a lot of things I liked about that job, but when time came to retire I was glad I didn't have to do it anymore.

Old Today, 08:32 AM

39 posts, read 9,385 times
I wouldn't say anything about the Sunday travel provided meals are covered through per diem or company credit card. If meals weren't covered I would definitely say something.

Old Today, 08:44 AM

4,035 posts, read 1,885,863 times
The fact that it's a "voluntary" thing plays into it - somewhat - but if you "volunteered" to fly out on Monday, would you plan to NOT get paid for that day? If not, why not? It's either "work" or it isn't.

I'd blame the management in this situation for not being very clear before anyone commits to travel.

"You can fly Sunday, instead of Monday, but no pay, if you do it." Let decisions be informed. Don't put your employees in this awkward situation.

Old Today, 09:23 AM

7,182 posts, read 4,576,439 times
We received comp time when I worked for the state. They booked our flights so we left when they said.

Old Today, 09:57 AM

17,276 posts, read 15,467,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingisasitseems View Post
I wouldn't say anything about the Sunday travel provided meals are covered through per diem or company credit card. If meals weren't covered I would definitely say something.
Pretty much this. As long as meals and hotel are paid for, I've always been fine with travelling Sunday if needed. Sometimes I'd ask for an early flight, so that I could spend my day enjoying whatever city I was sent to once settled in. A mini vacation of sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment