Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:50 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,372,508 times

Advertisements

Truly competent people want two big things from employment:

1. Autonomy. Make their own decisions without being micro-managed.

2. Rewards and recognition. They like remunerative and emotional positive feedback

If a leader can create that type of atmosphere, keeping good people will be easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 10:38 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,826,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
My favorite is the vaunted email recognition. "Florida2014 just went above and beyond to help secure a $3 billion new client for the organization, please join me in congratulating him on this great accomplishment!" which is followed by a few dozens emails of people congratulating me with no real/tangible award whatsoever outside of the annual review and yearly raise.
In another couple of years, the OP will be here again posting about being tired of receiving attaboy type recognition rather than getting a raise.

It is fun to watch the evolution of a person who is new to the workforce. Especially the younger generations.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:14 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,917,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

2. Rewards and recognition. They like remunerative and emotional positive feedback

If a leader can create that type of atmosphere, keeping good people will be easy.
Losing good employees is hard enough. Losing great employees is even harder.

When management starts falling in love with the wrong people, it's over.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:39 AM

1,651 posts, read 879,073 times
Quote:

It more to it. I would also add

3. The ability or should I say freedom to be themselves.

4. Opportunities to continual advancement and/or professional development. No one wants to be in a dead end job, particularly early and middle stages of career.

The the OP, I ask when was the last time you acknowledged anyone? I ask because I noticed a trend of people demanding acknowledgment or recognition from others while being uninterested or refusing to give it themselves. Even if one is not in a position of authority at a company they can still give recognition to coworkers, family, others out in community, or others in their community. Just saying it's a two way streak.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

4,048 posts, read 2,734,895 times
Quote:

Yep. While raises and bonuses are much preferred, there are times I do emotionally need the, "Hey, just wanted to let you know you're really doing a great job."

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

295 posts, read 205,490 times
The ones who bend over backwards don't get recognised as management know they will do it anyway. Stop sorting out their problems, they don't appreciate it.

Old Today, 08:04 AM

9,466 posts, read 8,448,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
The ones who bend over backwards don't get recognised as management know they will do it anyway. Stop sorting out their problems, they don't appreciate it.
While it may be the case in your world that you continue to post about, that's just not reality and not how it happens in the real world for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment