Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 15,806 times

Advertisements

I just have to ask your opinions on a real pet peeve of mine. I moved here from out East and work in a health care setting. I'm awed by how many of my Mexican coworkers (which are many), chose to speak to each other in Spanish rather than English. I mean, it doesn't matter if I'm standing right there and they know I don't understand a word of it. They'll just go on as if I'm not there. Their English is very good when chosen to use it. I find it to be distracting and rude. I can certainly understand using Spanish for patients who can't speak English, but other than that I don't think it's proper or shows respect for being an American. And please don't tell me I should learn to speak Spanish. The last I knew Texas is still in the USA and our official language is English.
When my grandparents got off the boat to Ellis Island from Europe they stayed with a family that sponsored them. The first thing they did was get a job, learn to speak English and do their best to fit into their new land. My father had a very ethnic name that he hated and vowed that all his children would have "good American names". And Europeans from every country had similar stories. So, this is my upbringing and I'm trying to understand what I perceive to be a disregard for and lack of respect for the ideals that have made America the great land it is. Maybe I'm way off base. I'll be curious to hear what you have to say.

Last edited by Bo; 06-21-2009 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:48 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
Sorry to hear you Father was ashamed of his "ethnic" last name.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:05 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burleybutt View Post
I just have to ask your opinions on a real pet peeve of mine. I moved here from out East and work in a health care setting. I'm awed by how many of my Mexican coworkers (which are many), chose to speak to each other in Spanish rather than English. I mean, it doesn't matter if I'm standing right there and they know I don't understand a word of it. They'll just go on as if I'm not there. Their English is very good when chosen to use it. I find it to be distracting and rude. I can certainly understand using Spanish for patients who can't speak English, but other than that I don't think it's proper or shows respect for being an American. And please don't tell me I should learn to speak Spanish. The last I knew Texas is still in the USA and our official language is English.
When my grandparents got off the boat to Ellis Island from Europe they stayed with a family that sponsored them. The first thing they did was get a job, learn to speak English and do their best to fit into their new land. My father had a very ethnic name that he hated and vowed that all his children would have "good American names". And Europeans from every country had similar stories. So, this is my upbringing and I'm trying to understand what I perceive to be a disregard for and lack of respect for the ideals that have made America the great land it is. Maybe I'm way off base. I'll be curious to hear what you have to say.
Yeah, you're way off base. My grandfather came through Ellis Island from Italy. I grew up in the East as well.No way he was changing our name. Nothing to be ashamed of.
It's not a lack of respect with the Spanish speakers...it's most likely a comfort thing. My wife is bilingual, but is more comfortable speaking Spanish. I have not, and will never, try to impede her speaking of the Spanish language (I learn more this way anyway).
BTW- Those aren't Mexicans that you work with...they're most likely Mexican Americans...and no, English isn't the official language of the USA. We don't have one.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 06-19-2009 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 PM

203 posts, read 561,309 times
I think it's pretty rude myself and I understand Spanish. Maybe next time they do it ask them what they just said after every sentence. Doesn't Mexico need some good nurses.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,686 times
I am Anglo but speak Spanish every chance I get: at the restaurant, with the neighbors, at school, etc. Great practice!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:28 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,640 times
My wife is Mexican American and speaks Spanish. If you were to speak to her on the phone you would have no idea she was - no accent what so ever. She often speaks Spanish while I around . It may be when she is on the phone or in person or talking to a familty member. I have never been offended. Maybe its because I know the curse words.

firstclassflyer is right in saying its' a "comfort thing". Don't be offended. Be glad that they are your friends and good co workers.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Don't take my comments the wrong way, I just wrote what I thought.

My first language is Spanish and I lived in Missouri for many years (nobody speaks Spanish over there) so I understand your point of view.

Yes, it is disrespectful to speak a different language when somebody is part of a group and doesn't understand it. (I know, it's difficult to define who is in a group)
No, it is not disrespectful if you are not part of the group. If you are not part of the group then you should mind your own business.

Yes, Texas is part of the US,
but the US is a huge country and every city is different,
go to West St. Louis in the middle of the US and you'll hear people speaking in Hebrew, Russian and other Eastern European languages.

With all due respect, the story about Ellis Island is irrelevant (ask a Native American what they think about it)
we are 2 hours away from a country that speaks Spanish,
people can ride a bicycle from hear to Mexico, so guess what, you are gonna hear Spanish.
It would be exactly the same if Italy, Germany or any other country bordered the US.

What do I really think about the whole language issue...
If we all had to adapt and learn the language...
we all would be speaking a native american language.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I work in a company where most people are architects or engineers
if you walked in there you would never expect anybody to speak Spanish.
I would say, about 5% of us look Hispanic.

Guess who is always saying things in Spanish...
Not us, but "the other people", I think because they want to learn Spanish.

They are always cursing or saying words like:
small, big, fast, what do you want?, she's hot, etc, etc.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 PM

317 posts, read 1,751,136 times
I think its rude, no matter what language they are speaking. People are jerks sometimes. If coworkers are speaking a language they know I can't understand, evidently I'm not meant to be in that conversation. Harsh, but true.

We moved here from Va, and have had a hard time adjusting to San Antonio sometimes because of language/culture issues. We hear Spanish everywhere we go. People automatically assume I speak Spanish I guess because of my looks, and a few have gotten mad when I could not understand them. My kids hear other kids and staff members speaking Spanish all the time at school, and have been the recipients of that exclusive behavior from fellow students as well.

But- we moved to a heavily Spanish speaking part of the US, so what can we do? Deal with it I guess until we either learn to speak Spanish or learn to better ignore it or move.

Some of my ancestors came to this country through Ellis Island from Italy, but some were Natives already here. Some of our ancestors changed their names slightly to more American sounding names, and some had no choice but to change names and beliefs because their languages were no longer allowed. Our country has a shameful history in regards to wiping out people's languages and cultures. I wouldn't want someone to give up their language just to become American. Learn English so you can become a citizen, sure, but speak it or whatever language you wish with those you wish. Thank goodness its a free country.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:41 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,975 times
I usually don't care what language people are speaking when they aren't talking to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment