Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:08 PM

84 posts, read 268,388 times

Advertisements

If you really wanted a job, you would be working by now!

That is what people are telling me as day after day passes without a job. Of course they are working and not currently looking for a job. Bur because most people in America between 21-62 are working and not aggressively looking for a new job, I suspect this is the common thinking of most Americans.

Most people read the papers and see the headlines about unemployment and have some idea that it may be hard to find a job now a days but do not believe that it is that hard. They assume that if you have skills and really want to work, they will hire you if you try hard enough.

I live in Washington DC and the unemployment rate for college educated white women is about 4%, basically full employment. So why aren't I working? They say I am not trying hard enough.

(Do you hear the same thing?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,351 times
Yes I hear the same thing. You don't realize just how tough it is until you get out here.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Nice one, Weekend Traveler. Now you're trying to get we, the REAL unemployed on your side.

Maybe you can get a job at your husband's office. I assume you do not know Microsoft Office.

I think I have just decided to put you on ignore. I urge anyone else who knows you are just making up b.s. to do the same.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:08 PM

11,302 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Uh, Weekend Traveler, just a week or two or three ago, YOU were saying the same things to everyone. I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than be Mr. or Ms. "multiple personalities" on here but it's getting old fast.......maybe you should just start a blog or rant on your Facebook account or something.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:42 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Anyone who dares say that someone could find a job if they really wanted to should be told in no uncertain terms how to fold up their comments and where to put 'em.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
From the last thread that Brainy Intellectual Type (BIT) started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
I learned to be an expert in all aspects of Microsoft Office using a variety of CD Roms that you can buy at Best Buy for about $30. No need to take a class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Maybe you can get a job at your husband's office. I assume you do not know Microsoft Office.

I think I have just decided to put you on ignore.
I agree, GypsySoul. For a short time, BIT's charades were so absurd that they were amusing. Now they have just become sad... Welcome to the "ignore list," BIT!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 PM

62 posts, read 314,026 times
I have to agree with everyone else here. BIT is one of the main people bashing us and telling us we're not doing enough, and don't deserve extensions. You need to make up your mind who you are going to be.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,725 times
I think many people COULD get hired shortly after they lost their job. But you don't want to take ANY job, do you? It's worth looking at your options and trying to find something that is somewhat of a good fit. Good economy or bad.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,803 times
Honestly, I can't help but think a lot of people in my generation are proud. When I realized that it would be a while before I got a decent job, I said "screw it" and went into retail. Quite humbling, I must say, but you know what? I didn't go hungry. I got $400/paycheck and that was fine with me for the time being. I now have a temp job with the govt and I'm damn happy I have it.

My friends, all of which have graduated with me, are still looking for that dream job, most of which they have no experience for, because 3 years ago, none of them really cared about work. It was still parties and bars for them. My only friend with a decent job other than me got his because he called every contact he knew to help him get something. But he's really lucky, because he had no fallback plan like living at home. He was already HOMELESS when he got it, sleeping on a friend's couch.

people, right now, need to be realistic. times suck. do whatever you can to make a dollar and get over it. if you're smart, you'll do okay in the meantime. but if you're lazy, then even when the economy gets better, you'll probably have a hard time.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:47 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
For heaven's sake, has newgrad2009 not been reading the many discussions of hundreds of people lining up for retail jobs or other "not decent" jobs? *They are not available or people are not getting them because of overqualification!*
I hear this every day from all sorts of job hunters.
A lot of people are being absolutely realistic. And there are not enough jobs for them, jobs of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment