Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:58 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,795,824 times

Advertisements

Can Employers Do That? Turns Out, They Can: Exploring Workers' Rights : NPR

I can't believe someone was petty enough to fire someone over a bumper sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 AM

11,308 posts, read 18,909,383 times
While the article is mostly right, I think he's wrong about the bumper sticker, I think unless you're actually working for a politician/political party or something related to that, you can't be fired for having a "Kerry for President" sticker on the car (or a "Bush for President", etc. either.)

In fact, perhaps related, I had a co-worker in a former job who had lots of anti-Iraq War and anti-Bush pins he'd wear to work, meetings, etc. and even given that the owner of the company was fairly "left" politically (though more like a moderate left than a far left), he was concerned about this making some uncomfortable in the office, etc. and looked into it with a lawyer and found that all he could do is order the employee not to wear these to work and talk about political hot topics, and then if he didn't comply he could be fired. The bumper sticker while in the parking lot would not be "in your face" at the workplace on the actual employee all day so it would be different. He did comply by the way.

So I think the article is a little exaggerated, even being on a "legitimate" news source like NPR.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:07 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,492,424 times
This article is wicked exaggerated. If all the things listed were true, each employee would have to: not drink alcohol, smoke anything, never been arrested, never had a speeding ticket, never go skiing, have no political opinions whatsoever, not have any over the counter medications, have perfect credit, never had thoughts of joining a union, and have absolutely no family history of disease. No such person exists anywhere since the beginning of time.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,492,424 times
About the political stickers and whatnot, SEVERAL people where I work wore pro Obama stuff the day of the election, despite it being a federal facility with rules strictly against this, and everyone got an e-mail stating not to do so. No one cared at all, even after I pointed it out.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,795,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
This article is wicked exaggerated. If all the things listed were true, each employee would have to: not drink alcohol, smoke anything, never been arrested, never had a speeding ticket, never go skiing, have no political opinions whatsoever, not have any over the counter medications, have perfect credit, never had thoughts of joining a union, and have absolutely no family history of disease. No such person exists anywhere since the beginning of time.
As far as not drinking and not smoking, this was more about individual companies, not the rule in all employment settings.

I think the author is mostly talking about individual cases, not employers wanting people who don't smoke, don't drink alcohol, never received a speeding ticket, never goes skiing, etc.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,096,870 times
Welcome to the "at will" world.

I have a problem with the smoking thing though. Instead of firing folks that use tobacco, maybe the smokers should pay a higher insurance premium.

Seems fair.

Regarding the bumper sticker thing:

I'm sure that there's much more to the story.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,224,264 times
The first day of a new job last year I was told by the wife of a board member that if I didn't remove the BO bumper sticker, I would be fired.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,847,049 times
From my experience here the last 9 years - Americans are nowhere are "free" as they like to think they are.

Some of the hiring and firing and labour laws accepted here would be considered unconscionable in other countries.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,552,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Welcome to the "at will" world.
Here, in FL, I can fire you for any reason or no reason at all.
True, in most cases, they'll be allowed UEI benefits. That's why I make sure to have at least 3 write ups before I terminate.
I would never fire someone over trivial stuff like the OP talks about.
You gotta be pretty bad off if I fire ya

Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,096,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Here, in FL, I can fire you for any reason or no reason at all.
True, in most cases, they'll be allowed UEI benefits. That's why I make sure to have at least 3 write ups before I terminate.
I would never fire someone over trivial stuff like the OP talks about.
You gotta be pretty bad off if I fire ya
Just like I can quit for any reason or no reason at all.....

It's a win-win for everyone.

3 write ups?

You're lenient. I'd give 1 and ifya do anything stupid again, you're gone.

If you've been with me for a short amount of time?

I wouldn't bother wasting paper on the reprimand.

Get out.

Of course, rules & regs should be explained at hiring time.

Steal from me and not only will you be canned, I'll press charges and hope you're prosecuted to the fullest extent. I'll help.

I can't believe some of the behavior that I've seen in the workplace that is overlooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment