Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 04:42 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times

Advertisements

If you aren't sure if a city is considered "major" or not, any city listed on this Wikipedia page will count. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...search_Network

I thought it would be fun to see where everybody has been, what their favorites are and where they want to visit the most that they have not yet visited.

I have been to these cities:

North America:

Seattle
Las Vegas
Honolulu
San Diego
Portland
Los Angeles (Suburbs)
Chicago (Suburbs and airport)
Miami
Milwaukee
Vancouver
Salt Lake City
Boston
Orlando
Nashville
Kansas City

Europe:

Paris
Rome
Barcelona
Madrid
Seville
Lisbon

I haven't been to Vancouver, Los Angeles, Chicago, Milwaukee, Orlando and Salt Lake City since I was a young kid, so it would be hard to put these in my top 5 since you don't appreciate it as much compared to when you are an adult.

Top 5 (In no particular order):

Rome
Madrid
Nashville
Boston
Barcelona

Every city in Europe was awesome so it was hard to narrow it down.

Top 5 I would like to visit:

New York City
London
Tokyo
Amsterdam
Sydney

There's so many I want to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 08:56 PM

839 posts, read 734,397 times
Based on the GaWC wikipedia you have posted, here are the major cities that I have been to (excluding airport layovers):

Alpha++ (been to all):
London, NYC

Alpha+ (been to all):
Beijing, Dubai, Hong Kong, Paris, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo

Alpha:
Bangkok, Brussels, Guangzhou, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur, Los Angeles, Madrid, Milan, Seoul, Taipei, Toronto, Zurich

Alpha-:
Amsterdam, Barcelona, Budapest, Dublin, Lisbon, Manila, Montreal, Munich, Prague, Rome, San Francisco, Shenzhen, Stockholm, Vienna

Beta+:
Athens, Auckland, Boston, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Hangzhou, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vancouver

Beta:
Berlin, Brisbane, Calgary, Manama, Oslo, Zagreb

Beta-:
Antwerp, Bratislava, Edinburgh, Geneva, Manchester

Gamma+:
Xi'an

Gamma:
Porto, San Diego, Wellington

Gamma-:
Orlando, Penang, Phnom Penh

High Sufficiency:
Edmonton, Florence, Izmir, Las Vegas, Lausanne, Leeds

Sufficiency:
Bergen, Bologna, Canberra, Cebu City, Christchurch, Dammam, Krakow, Lille, Liverpool, Nanning, Naples, Nice, Palo Alto, Quebec City, Sarajevo, Seville, Strasbourg

My Top 5 from Alpha:
1. London (no surprise there)
2. Tokyo
3. New York
4. Istanbul
5. Amsterdam / Barcelona

My Top 5 from Beta:
1. Edinburgh
2. Berlin
3. Copenhagen
4. Vancouver
5. Hamburg

My Top 5 from Gamma / Sufficiency:
1. Florence
2. Bergen
3. Porto
4. Seville
5. Penang

My Top 5 I would like to visit but haven't:
1. Buenos Aires
2. Osaka
3. Melbourne
4. Mexico City
5. Tel Aviv

Old 03-30-2020, 10:47 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
(Have Visited) Top Five:: Tokyo, London, New York, Sydney, San Francisco

Would Like To Visit:: Lima, Dubai, Amsterdam, Auckland, Edinburgh

Old 03-31-2020, 11:56 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I am fortunate to have been to pretty much every major city in the US and Canada...most of them many times. The largest metro I haven't been to is Columbus, and there are only 7 out of the 60 that are over a million population that I haven't been to. Also have traveled quite extensively throughout Asia. But Europe only a bit, and completely lacking coverage with the rest of the world. So with that said:

My top 5 visited is gonna be something along the lines of:

New York City
Montreal
Paris
Taipei
Seoul/Singapore/Tokyo (Cut me some slack hehe)

Top 5 to Visit are:

London
Sydney
Melbourne
Buenos Aires
Lima/Lisbon/Madrid/Barcelona/Dubai (again, this is too difficult)

Old 03-31-2020, 12:56 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Based on GaWC:
Alpha++: London
Alpha+: Paris
Alpha: São Paulo (I live in it), Milan, Frankfurt, Zürich, Buenos Aires
Alpha-: Amsterdam, Munich, Rome, Vienna
Beta: Rio de Janeiro
Gamma-: Belo Horizonte, Curitiba

I have still to go to USA, but now with all of this pandemic, I will wait for some years to travel abroad again, unless my job require it.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Been to the following:

Alpha ++: London, NYC

Alpha +: Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Dubai, Paris, Singapore, Toyko

Alpha: Bangkok, Frankfurt, Kuala Lumpur, DF, Mumbai, Toronto, Brussels, Guangzhou, LA, Miami, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aries, Istanbul, Madrid, Seoul, Zurich, Chicago, Jakarta, Taipei

Alpha −: Amsterdam, Dublin, San Francisco, Vienna, Barcelona, Houston, Prague, Santiago, Washington DC, Bogota, Montreal, Riyadh, Shenzhen, Lisbon, Munich, Rome, Stockholm

Beta +: Athens, Boston, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Lima, Atlanta, Dallas, Cairo, Doha, Hanoi, Tel Aviv, Ho Chi Min City, Vancouver

Beta: Abu Dhabi, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Beirut, Rio, Berlin, Casablanca, Sofia, Denver, Manama, Oslo

Beta −: Monterrey, Antwerp, Jeddah, San Juan, Panama City, Valencia, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Seattle, Geneva, Lyon, George Town, Manchester, Stuttgart

Gamma +: Rotterdam, Detroit, Osaka, Xi'an, Cleveland, Glasgow

Gamma: Baku, Guadalajara, San Diego, Tampa, Baltimore, San Jose, Amman, Belfast, Lusaka, Santo Domingo, Ankara, Phoenix, Bristol, Porto, Charlotte

Gamma −: Orlando, Cologne, Ottawa, Penang, Medellin, Nashville, Phnom Penh

I dont feel up to listing Sufficiency but I am originally from one of them (Kingston, JA!) but there are a few that I have been to.

Top 5 from that list:

This changes often, but as of now in no particular order:

1. London
2. NYC
3. Istanbul
4. Tel Aviv
5. Hong Kong

With the Brazilian cities of SP and Rio nipping on their tails.

Five I want to visit:

1. Lagos
2. Sydney - Never visited Australia and would love to get the chance to one day
3. Johannesburg
4. Budapest
5. Hyderabad - I need to spend more time in India, the exposure I have had so far is fascinating but I need to get back one day

Old 04-01-2020, 12:08 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
The Alpha and Gamma thing is an absolute nonsense since it's done by ignorant Scottish people, mainly go by number of international flights. No real merit to the cities themselves.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:21 PM

330 posts, read 293,449 times
Top 5 Cities I have visited:

1. New York City(Current place of residence)
2. Tokyo
3. San Francisco
4. Los Angeles(Hometown)
5. Hong Kong

Honorable Mentions: Toronto, Vancouver BC, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Boston, Chicago, Washington DC, Singapore, Taipei, Seoul, Beijing

Top 5 Cities I would like to visit:

1. London
2. Milan/Rome
3. Paris
4. Madrid
5. Berlin

Honorable Mentions: Vienna, Amsterdam, Sydney, Melbourne, Brussels, Zurich, São Paulo, Rio, Copenhagen, Mexico City(I’m a big fan of Mexican food)

Never visited UK/Europe/Australia, can’t wait for this pandemic to be over so we can travel freely again.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 04-01-2020 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 08:07 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,001 times
My top cities in the world:

Chicago: Architecture, great hub for traveling, very friendly people, cosmopolitan enough and plenty to do.
Munich: Location, location location. In the heart of Europe, and close to some of my favorite destinations, Alps, lakes, and cheap flight to Greece and some other islands. Clean city, organized, everything works. I found it to have one of the most friendly people among german speaking cities.
Sydney: Gateway to Asia, plenty of partying, things to do and Australians are great. Amazing weather
Buenos Aires: Despite the economy problems, top city, a lot to see and eat. Great architecture variety, good weather, cheap weakend getaways.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:37 PM

20 posts, read 10,982 times
I've been to:
IN AUSTRALIA
  • Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Brisbane (day trip)
  • Adelaide
  • Canberra
IN NEW ZEALAND
  • Auckland (airport layover)
  • Christchurch (day trip)
IN CANADA[*]Calgary (day trip)[*]Vancouver
IN JAPAN[*]Tokyo (airport layover)

My personal top five (in no particular order):
  1. Sydney - the beautiful harbour coupled with some of the world's most iconic architecture makes me proud to call this city home, despite its problems.
  2. Melbourne - the cafe scene here is among the best in the world and the laneways in the CBD provide character to the city.
  3. Vancouver - awe-inspiring mountains frame the city, and cultural influence from around the world (especially Asia) makes the city that much more interesting.
  4. Adelaide - in spite of having next to nothing in terms of attractions, the relaxed pace and leafiness keep me wanting to visit again.
  5. Canberra - even though Canberra is home to the train-wreck known as Australian politics, a surprisingly active food scene and nature just outside the city make Canberra a great place to go for a short holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World