Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 11:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
I read not long ago in a history book that "gringo" was derived from the fact that Kentucky volunteers during the Mexican-American war (approx 1849) sang a song w/ lyrics "Green grow the lilacs." According to the writer, this morphed into 'gringo' among Mexican troops. The writer presented it as cut-and-dried fact.

Later when I looked it up on line, I found that there were several possible derivations, and IIRC no certainty to any of them.
“ The word gringo originally referred to any kind of foreigner. It was first recorded in 1787 in the Spanish Diccionario castellano con las voces de Ciencias y Artes:[9][10][a]”

The above is a quote from the Wikipedia article about the word gringo.

If the word was used as early as 1787, it was certainly not coined in the Mexican American War. Possibly American troops heard it used then for the time. The Wiki article does mention some “folk etymologies” regarding the term, including the supposed Mex-Am war one.

You can check the entry yourself very easily. It comes with citations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 03:41 PM

930 posts, read 333,638 times
Here's yet another example of the vagaries of word origins. I had always figured that the term 'hooker' (for prostitute) had a connotation of addiction. After all, most vices have some element of addiction.

I read in a history book that it was from Civil War general 'Fighting Joe' Hooker, who always had a big contingent of female camp followers when he was on the march. Gen. Hooker resigned after a tiff with Abe Lincoln.

When I looked up 'hooker,' a source cites usage of the word from 1845, well before the Civil War:
https://www.etymonline.com/word/hooker

Quote:
. 1845 ("[i]f he comes by way of Norfolk he will find any number of pretty Hookers in the Brick row

Old 10-15-2021, 10:48 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was a kid in New York in the 70s and 80s, we called cops, 'coppers'.
In the 60s we called them "the fuzz." I have no idea why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Another term from my youth, and that I never hear any more is 'cop'. No, not the men in blue we were just discussing, but a verb meaning to buy or acquire something.

As in: "I just copped a couple of bottles of beer." or "I'm going down to the shoestore to cop some new sneakers."
Also common in the 60s but meaning "to steal" something. One could also "cop a plea" if facing criminal charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
English bobbies.
Which raises the question, why are English police called "bobbies"?

One answer from Wikipedia:

Derived from the Conservative British Home Secretary, Sir Robert Peel ("Bobby" being a nickname for "Robert"), the founder of the Metropolitan Police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
SCUBA, RADAR, LASER, QUASAR: documented and legitimate.
From the military:

SNAFU
FUBAR

Quote:
a lot of the political lingo is made up, often deceptively so, in order to skew public debate. "Partial birth abortion," "assault weapon," and the latest: "human infrastructure" are all examples.
See George Carlin's monologue on euphemisms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEQixrBKCc

Now we come to one of my pet peeves:

VIN number.
ATM machine.
PIN number.

When one says those, they are actually saying:

Vehicle Identification Number number.
Automatic Teller Machine machine.
Personal Identification Number number.

Obviously ridiculous. I don't know how that started but there are many other examples.

The condition is known as Redundant Acronym Syndrome. The name suffers the same fate in a Wikipedia article titled RAS Syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome

Old 10-15-2021, 02:01 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Ages ago, I read that when an illiterate person signed with an X, it meant he was swearing in Christ's name.

Also, medieval scribes used the abbreviation XP for Christ (the first two letters of his name in Greek).
I just learned this in 2018 when we took a cruise on the "Celebrity" cruise line, owned by a Greek family (with CHI in their name, I think). A large "X" is on their ship and imprinted on everything else down to the pillow chocolates.

Relieved my guilt over X-mas, lol.

That's interesting about the swearing, though.

Getting to the root word really helps in deciphering other Romance languages.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
..which raises the question, why are English police called "bobbies"?

One answer from Wikipedia:

Derived from the Conservative British Home Secretary, Sir Robert Peel ("Bobby" being a nickname for "Robert"), the founder of the Metropolitan Police.
They also received the name "peelers" from the same source. This, however, was derogatory.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:43 PM

899 posts, read 670,729 times
https://www.etymonline.com/word/bedlam

"scene of mad confusion," 1660s, from colloquial pronunciation of "Hospital of Saint Mary of Bethlehem" in London, founded 1247 as a priory, mentioned as a hospital 1330 and as a lunatic hospital 1402; it was converted to a civic lunatic asylum on dissolution of the monasteries in 1547.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:43 PM

930 posts, read 333,638 times
Quote:
Now we come to one of my pet peeves:

VIN number.
ATM machine.
PIN number.

When one says those, they are actually saying:

Vehicle Identification Number number.
Automatic Teller Machine machine.
Personal Identification Number number.

Obviously ridiculous. I don't know how that started but there are many other examples.

[/url]
My pet: "high rate of speed." You hear this all the time on news casts. Speed=distance/time, i.e. a rate. When they say "high rate of speed" it's effectively saying "high rate of rate."

Old 10-17-2021, 10:34 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Quote:
My pet: "high rate of speed." You hear this all the time on news casts. Speed=distance/time, i.e. a rate. When they say "high rate of speed" it's effectively saying "high rate of rate."
And why "faster than a speeding bullet"?

Why not just "faster than a bullet"?

Another peeve of mine (I have too many peeves for any one of them to be a pet peeve):

"From whence."

"Whence" already means "from where."

Old 10-17-2021, 06:36 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
And why "faster than a speeding bullet"?

Why not just "faster than a bullet"?

Another peeve of mine (I have too many peeves for any one of them to be a pet peeve):

"From whence."

"Whence" already means "from where."
Anybody who uses whence is probably a bore, anyway.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:24 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
I'm an entomologist, and I can't tell you how many times someone has said, "Oh, you study the derivation of words! How cool!"

That has to be the most ironic vocabulary error ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing