Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 10:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I worked with people who came from the south or whose parents had come from the south who said "Ink pen". As a matter of fact, the first time I heard it was from one such woman at work who asked if I had a pin, and I said, "Like a safety pin?" She said, "No, an ink pin." That was probably thirty-five years ago, though.

I can hear it in newscasters who haven't quite conquered their old accents: "More on this later on the tin o'clock news."

It did explain the "since/sense" mixup, since a southerner would say both words the same way.

At least with my Jersey accent, I can spell tawk and cawfee.

My boyfriend laughs at me and tries to tell me that there is an "L" in a'ready. In turn, I tell him that those big birds gliding up in the sky looking for prey are not called "hocks".
I am afraid I say “pin” when I mean, “pen.” I don’t know anyone who does not. I do remember a teacher fussing about this in grade school, but midwestern American pronunciations are what they are. I probably say sense and since similarly as well. I probably don’t differentiate between those and scents/cents either.

Lately, in FB posts I have run across the word are used instead of our. That one is surprising. But it is accent related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 08:36 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
The Loose/lose thing is soooo common. Drives me bonkers.
You see it a lot on the weight loss forum here on CD, but in other forums, as well. I don't understand how it can be so common. It's one of those differences one learns in the very early school years.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:39 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am afraid I say “pin” when I mean, “pen.” I don’t know anyone who does not. I do remember a teacher fussing about this in grade school, but midwestern American pronunciations are what they are. I probably say sense and since similarly as well. I probably don’t differentiate between those and scents/cents either.

Lately, in FB posts I have run across the word are used instead of our. That one is surprising. But it is accent related.
Yes, it is very common, which is why I said I am certainly not going to change it. It is a vowel shift and it is widespread now. I think I just didn't realize how widespread it was until I was older because I have always lived in a place that uses the short 'e'.

It's not a wrong pronunciation. It's just a regional language difference. The problem is when people don't know how to spell the word they actually want to use when writing.

Good point about "scents/cents" being part of that. I didn't think of those.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You see it a lot on the weight loss forum here on CD, but in other forums, as well. I don't understand how it can be so common. It's one of those differences one learns in the very early school years.
I don’t understand it either. It is hard to imagine using loose as a verb. As a verb, the word would likely be loosen, unless someone was writing poetically. As loosen, it does not refer to losing weight or any other thing. (But if course, clothing fit would be loosened.)

I’ve also run into confusion with peek/peak/pique. I have actually read “it peaked my attention.” And I have also seen the other two confused as well.

Pique actually has a slightly different pronunciation than peak or peek though. Or naybe that’s my imagination.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:42 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
" It is hard to imagine using loose as a verb. "

My mind works in strange ways. I can interpret "Loose some weight" as getting rid of it, along the lines of "Release the Kraken!"

Of course, there is "loosey goosey," which can translate to the act of diarrhea.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
" It is hard to imagine using loose as a verb. "

My mind works in strange ways. I can interpret "Loose some weight" as getting rid of it, along the lines of "Release the Kraken!"

Of course, there is "loosey goosey," which can translate to the act of diarrhea.
I kept thinking of, “loose the gods of war.” But when I looked up the quote, it was actually, “let loose the dogs of war.” Loose is not a verb.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:06 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
I kept thinking of, “loose the gods of war.” But when I looked up the quote, it was actually, “let loose the dogs of war.” Loose is not a verb.
Actually, it is:
verb
set free; release.
"the hounds have been loosed" - Oxford Languages

Old 10-29-2020, 11:27 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Pique actually has a slightly different pronunciation than peak or peek though. Or naybe that’s my imagination.
I assume this was just a typo, but I think naybe is my new favorite word.

nay·be
/ˈnābē/
adverb
perhaps; possibly, but incredibly unlikely
Apparent provisional acceptance of a statement while actually expressing anything from extreme doubt to outright disagreement.

"You say the sun rises in the north in San Francisco? Naybe you're right."

synonyms: nuh-uh, nope, you're nuts, ain't gonna happen, nohaps

Related to "Bless your heart" as used in the southern United States.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I still remember a witticism from a DJ on WABC radio, way back when Don McLean's song Vincent was a pop hit.

He timed this perfectly:

DJ: "And now, Don McLean will tell you how to redecorate your mouth."

Don (singing): "Paint your palette blue and gray..."
Thanks for this, lol. That dj was pretty clever.

I learned palate first, back in elementary school health class. Then palette in art class. It wasn't until many years later that I ever heard of pallet though. None of them are really common words so I can give people a pass on misspelling them. But not lose/looose or affect/effect. Another one is sell and sale, as in, "I can sale this" or "I had a good sell in my store." They're not homonyms but they are similar sounding and have similar meanings.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I assume this was just a typo, but I think naybe is my new favorite word.

nay·be
/ˈnābē/
adverb
perhaps; possibly, but incredibly unlikely
Apparent provisional acceptance of a statement while actually expressing anything from extreme doubt to outright disagreement.

"You say the sun rises in the north in San Francisco? Naybe you're right."

synonyms: nuh-uh, nope, you're nuts, ain't gonna happen, nohaps

Related to "Bless your heart" as used in the southern United States.
Yes, a typo. I love it! Who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing