Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 08:14 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

Someone wants to ask people a question about something.

They always start the question with "let me ask you" could you cut our grass (for example)? They always start with that intro to the question.
Where does "let me ask you" fit into speaking, word play, etc. Thanks.

I think they should stop using that because it is a question which could get a no before they get to the actual question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 11:37 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
"Can I ask you..." and "Can I ask you a question..." are similar unnecessary verbiage.

I get the impression that people think it's more polite to lead up to what they're going to say. Please, just get to the point!

For some reason, I don't mind "Can I ask you a favor?" That feels more like a fair warning.

Just like the people on cooking shows who say "Today I made for you..."
What, you're afraid the judges will think you made it last week for someone else?

Last edited by steiconi; 08-18-2021 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2021, 06:34 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
It is a rhetorical question, and usually has no pause between it and the request that follows.

Curiously, I still remember that it was an affectation that some of the patients in the state hospital had. I suspect that in some cases it served as an interrupter when the other individual (also a patient) was in a state where they were constantly talking without interruption. It also was somewhat commonly used when addressing staff, perhaps as a sign of feigned subservience?

In debating or law, the phrase can be a marker that a logical flaw is about to be exposed. Example:
"Let me ask you a question. You say you were on the phone at 8 PM, and yet you were photographed swimming in the lake at that time. How do you explain that?" The point is that there is NO answer to the question that will support the flawed logic or previous statements; otherwise known as NIGYYSOAB - now I've got you, you ...

The format of the fixed phrases at the beginning and end, bookending the content, has a label. It is common in a particular type of classic poetry, but I forget the name of it.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

They always start the question with "let me ask you" could you cut our grass (for example)? They always start with that intro to the question.

I think they should stop using that because it is a question which could get a no before they get to the actual question.
The phrase “let me ask you” is not a question.

Good luck trying to change a widespread usage.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Good catch! I've equated it to the similar phrase "CAN I ask you a question?" I stand corrected.

That said, often the "let me ask you" is accompanied with a non-verbal signal, such as of puzzlement, and the question that follows does so quickly enough that a comma or semi-colon might be used instead of keeping it as a stand-alone sentence.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 08-19-2021 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-19-2021, 07:08 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
It's "MAY I ask you a question?" Because you certainly CAN ask anything you want.

Should You Use Can or May? An Explanation Everyone Can Understand:
https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/v...ple-terms.html

Old 08-19-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's "MAY I ask you a question?" Because you certainly CAN ask anything you want.

Should You Use Can or May? An Explanation Everyone Can Understand:
https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/v...ple-terms.html
You obviously have not dealt with the institutionalized mentally ill...

Old 08-21-2021, 08:07 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

It's the only person I've ever known that used that opening so not widespread in my 65 years.

"let me ask you" is assuming I am willing and it is understood by them that they can proceed with the question.

Can and may require a yes or no.
"let me ask you" goes around those terms.

One I remember was "let me ask you".......a second or two for me to stay and hear it or walk away......."what time do you get home from work?" They were as cordial a person as you'd want to know so "let me ask you" was always accepted by me as "sure" "of course" without saying it.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:54 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

"Let me ask you" is a command, not a question.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 09-27-2021 at 02:26 PM..

Old 09-27-2021, 03:15 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Many years ago, I had a rookie co-worker who had apparently not paid attention during orientation training, and had not read any of the print materials available to us. On a typical day, she would approach me four or five times to say, "I have a question", and then launch into a query that shouldn't have been necessary in the first place. Regardless of that reality, I answered her constant queries politely, and--to her credit--she always thanked me.

Finally, after about two months of her ongoing "I have a question" routine, I said, "Ev, please just ask me the question--minus the introductory statement-- as it will save time for both of us". What was most remarkable about her continual questions was that I had already answered most of them two or three times previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing