Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 04:44 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,488,396 times

Advertisements

Why call it a restroom? People don't go there to rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 07:09 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,418,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Back about 50 years ago (!) the women's rest rooms changed.

It used to be that almost anywhere that was more than a gas station or hamburger stand had a little anteroom in the Ladies' room with a cot, a pillow, a blanket, and a light switch. This was true of restaurants like Olive Garden-class or better, as well as movie theatres, schools, office buildings, libraries, train stations, etc. About three or four years ago, I noticed one in the mezzanine level at the Seattle-International Airport. I hadn't seen one in maybe twenty years before that. It may still be there for all I know.

Back in the early 70s, I was studying computer programming. There was a lot of prejudince against women taking the quantitative sciences in those days, but I did have one edge. We ambitious students had to stay up all night waiting for our jobs to run. As the only woman in the engineering building, I could sleep in the women's rest room while waiting for my program to run (this was in the days when computers could only do one job at a time, and it would take hours to get the results back). All the guys in the class waiting for their results had to sit at a table resting their heads on their crossed arms under bright flourescent lights.
They eventually replaced the cot with a baby changing station!

Old 10-14-2021, 07:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,418,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Vernacular - The everyday language spoken by a people as distinguished from the literary language.

It's the vernacular.

Get over it.

I'll be back after I go to the restroom which, incidentally, does have a bath in it.
How confusing...the public restroom has a tub? Or you call your home's bathroom a restroom?

Just call it the crapper and there'll be no misunderstandings, right?

Old 10-15-2021, 05:01 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,888,362 times
The thread title isn't accurate in my neck of the woods (Chicago/Midwest). The overwhelming majority of public places, including my job, have signs saying "restroom". "Bathroom" is for homes, and "washroom" is for schools. In reference to public restrooms, "bathroom" is understood and accepted, but is considered mildly crass.

My K-thru-8 school, day camps, and a sleepaway camp I went to all used the term "washroom". My high school used the term "restroom" on its signage, although students resorted to the more crass "bathroom".

Old 10-15-2021, 02:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,594,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
The thread title isn't accurate in my neck of the woods (Chicago/Midwest). The overwhelming majority of public places, including my job, have signs saying "restroom". "Bathroom" is for homes, and "washroom" is for schools. In reference to public restrooms, "bathroom" is understood and accepted, but is considered mildly crass.

My K-thru-8 school, day camps, and a sleepaway camp I went to all used the term "washroom". My high school used the term "restroom" on its signage, although students resorted to the more crass "bathroom".
That's interesting. I did a little digging and found that there is a Employee Washroom Act in Illinois.

The washroom they referred to are actually facilities where an employe can shower/wash themselves but also has toilets. Is the term common in Illinois?

'...water satisfactory for shower and bathing purposes and with sufficient and suitable places and means for using the same; a sufficient number of showers for the use of employees who regularly use the washroom; and adequate toilet facilities, properly enclosed; "

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...3&ChapterID=68

Old 10-15-2021, 06:51 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,888,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That's interesting. I did a little digging and found that there is a Employee Washroom Act in Illinois.

The washroom they referred to are actually facilities where an employe can shower/wash themselves but also has toilets. Is the term common in Illinois?

'...water satisfactory for shower and bathing purposes and with sufficient and suitable places and means for using the same; a sufficient number of showers for the use of employees who regularly use the washroom; and adequate toilet facilities, properly enclosed; "

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...3&ChapterID=68
Maybe it's different for students vs. for employees. Schools that teach swimming in gym, which wasn't true for my K-thru-8 school, technically have showers for students, even if their usage is restricted. Heck, it didn't even have locker rooms; we'd just wear sporty clothes to school on gym days. Although maybe that school had showers for employees, which fits your definition of "washroom".

On the other hand, given that many low-income students have a hard time getting a bath/shower at home, a shower in school, at least twice a week, is very reasonable. Especially for post-puberty kids, who start to smell bad when they sweaty or dirty. In fact, in parts of Alaska, where many families live in dry cabins (no running water), schools often provide showers for students.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-15-2021 at 06:59 PM..

Old 10-16-2021, 01:16 PM

28,114 posts, read 30,027,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I like "restroom" and felt embarrassed in the UK when asking for the toilet.
Yeah, me too. I felt like it was too specific and it was really, really hard for me to ask someone to tell me where it was. Nobody needs to know what I'm doing in there and when you ask where the toilet is, they know!

Old 10-16-2021, 01:20 PM

28,114 posts, read 30,027,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Back in the early 70s, I was studying computer programming. There was a lot of prejudince against women taking the quantitative sciences in those days, but I did have one edge.
Kind of off topic, but I was a woman studying computer programming in the mid-'70s, too. It was weird to be the lone woman in that field back then.

Back to the OP...

Old 10-21-2021, 07:39 PM

811 posts, read 545,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
They eventually replaced the cot with a baby changing station!
Well - and also got rid of the separate room!

Old 10-21-2021, 07:58 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,437,405 times
Spent some time at the local women's club last weekend. There's a small anteroom for the women's facility, with a couple of chairs and a plant or two. A quick search didn't tell me when the building was constructed, but a previous women's club (at a different address) was torn down in 1967.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing