Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 01:36 PM

2,623 posts, read 3,158,963 times

Advertisements

My grammar was never 100% but better than average. My spelling was nearly always correct. I won spelling bees in grammar school. A good memory helped, as spelling has as many exceptions as rules. As I get older, my memory is a bit slower and my hands are stiff, sometimes painful. I have to do some posting with my phone too, with tiny keypad and stiff fingers, plus overlays. What could go wrong there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 02:51 PM

8,103 posts, read 12,830,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
We have many foreign members here. English is their second language. Don't expect them to speak/write flawless English.
Grammarly is a huge app. Eats a lot of memory space. I deleted it.
I only post on my desktop which is running 64GB of RAM; I was unaware of the memory issue.

Old 11-09-2023, 03:41 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,893,572 times
There is just a general increase in what I'll call "education apathy."

If it's "good enough" then, well, that's ok! Many folks see no problem with this.

Until their doctor, lawyer, airline pilot, veterinarian, pharmacist...makes a mistake - and now, suddenly, these very same people can't believe someone else is just like them...they learned it "good enough" and that was OK.

I don't believe everyone can be an expert in English (or whatever their home language is) without some serious effort, but it's very difficult to reach great success in nearly any field without solid language skills. That's because all of the information to do all of these other things is presented with, well - language. And the better you are at it - giving and receiving - the more benefit you will reap.

You can reach mediocre success pretty easily though, if that's your goal. Mediocre.

Don't care about math? Fine. Don't want to learn physics? History? Politics? Fine. Will likely not change your path in life.

Don't want to be a careful user of English? Good luck. You're making your own limitations.

Old 11-09-2023, 04:03 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,162,398 times
Proofreading will solve a lot of issues.

It’s so easy to make mistakes when using one finger to type on a small mobile phone.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:16 AM

5,550 posts, read 3,962,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Proofreading will solve a lot of issues.

It’s so easy to make mistakes when using one finger to type on a small mobile phone.
My phone's autocorrect feature is the absolute worst, too. Probably about once per paragraph, it'll make an unwarranted change. A positive unintended consequence of that is that I'm now in the habit of re-reading posts....

Old 01-09-2024, 10:53 AM

10,919 posts, read 7,443,183 times
I turned off autocorrect, just use suggestions.
And I proofread.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:56 PM

337 posts, read 71,503 times
I'm very confident in how to write, in my native language. Quite the opposite when I do it in English. I try to write correctly, at least not to make spelling mistakes, but the syntax and way of writing to make it look native, is what I fail the most

Old 05-05-2024, 05:09 PM

11,703 posts, read 6,124,466 times
i think you exagerating. I havn'[ seen anything like the porblums you oar referring to on City Date. You are just to sensitive and finding problems not truly their.

I mean, big deal sombody missing a comma or has a runon and on sentince or sum suck type of dealy.

You are just nitpickin. We don't need no gramartly hardware for poosts. At lest, I don't thunk. I am find with most poeple's writing. I don't had any porblum with its.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:22 PM

32,974 posts, read 36,478,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
I'm very confident in how to write, in my native language. Quite the opposite when I do it in English. I try to write correctly, at least not to make spelling mistakes, but the syntax and way of writing to make it look native, is what I fail the most
You don't proclaim proficiency in a second language. I always understand what you mean.

Old Today, 10:52 AM

10,919 posts, read 7,443,183 times
One needs a nun with a wooden ruler in order to learn correct grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing