Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I look I am inundated with it. I don't mind a minor flaw here or there in writing. But, I consistently see horrific misspellings, run-on sentences, lack of paragraph structuring, incoherent themes, etc.. What makes me cringe the most is when somebody presents themself as being educated and their post looks like it was written by a third grader.

What has happened to our educational system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Are you positive it was ever better? Or perhaps you are just seeing it more clearly than you could have in past years because more and more people are participating in the Internet, including the semiliterates? In 1950, you would not have gotten to sample as many people's writing as you do today.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Everywhere I look I am inundated with it. I don't mind a minor flaw here or there in writing. But, I consistently see horrific misspellings, run-on sentences, lack of paragraph structuring, incoherent themes, etc.. What makes me cringe the most is when somebody presents themself as being educated and their post looks like it was written by a third grader.

The poster above me is right. You are just seeing more of the semi-literate people who have always existed. There has never been a time when everyone, or even most people, spoke or wrote properly.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:41 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post

I think, with the internet being a newer form of expression, you're just seeing what was already there.

But I know what you mean. I'm not perfect by any means, but those long posts with little punctuation and no paragraphs are like nails on a chalkboard.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:51 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Proper grammar has been dying for the last 1000 years. Take a look at Beowulf to see just how far it has gone downhill.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
People don't write anymore. They e-mail, text, and talk on the phone. Do you remember the last time you got a letter in the mail? A real letter, written on stationary? That's got to be todays writing equivalent of vinyl records.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
U aint liking my gramar? Just kidding. Although my grammar isn't perfect, it is not as bad as some people's on here. The most annoying to me are the following:

"I am loosing money"

"I need my breaks fixed on my car"

"My car is in good conditions"

The problem is I see so many people speak like this.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
My college English class has an online discussion where students are supposed to post stuff. You should see how bad the grammar is...makes you wonder how these people are smart enough to go to college. There's even an English major in my class that has worse grammar than me. If the bad grammar bothers me, I can only imagine how frustrated the professor must be.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 AM

165 posts, read 396,090 times
I'm told by reliable sources that grammar is no longer taught - even in grammar school, ironically. They teach self-appreciation, and they teach art, and they teach computer skills. But schools apparently assume that students will somehow absorb grammar by osmosis.

Poor writing isn't corrected, criticized or even mentioned because it would make little Johnnie feel bad. Johnnie can't read, cannot comprehend and certainly cannot write. Years down the road, we'll all wonder why Johnnie rammed the commuter train into the station at high speed, despite clearly written company instructions ...

Old 11-22-2009, 09:45 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
I'm told by reliable sources that grammar is no longer taught
It's not. And although I'm a bit torn on the issue (I feel that our language is profoundly flawed and unnecessarily contorted), I agree that it should at least be understood and used correctly by its practitioners in its current accepted form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing