Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times

Advertisements

I haven't been lucky enough to travel a great deal and so while watching the TV show Longmire I can't help wondering if this what WY looks like since they are apparently filming it in NM.
Are piney woods at altitude pretty much the same over most of the west or what?
Just curious. I enjoyed the books. The show is just ok. I watch mostly for the scenery.

"Longmire," based on the best-selling books of Wyoming author Craig Johnson, premieres tonight on A&E - Wyoming Tribune Eagle Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
It's pretty similar. Several years ago, before I'd traveled much of the Rocky Mountain West, I took a long road trip from Wyoming through Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. I remember when I entered back into Wyoming it struck me how lush and green it was compared to all the other states (early May). Parts of any of those states could pass for parts of the others. Generally, from what I've seen of them, Colorado and Wyoming are a little greener overall, but certainly once you get into the pine-covered mountains, a lodge pole pine stand in Wyoming looks about the same as a lodge pole pine stand in New Mexico.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:56 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
I haven't been to New Mexico, but the scenery on the show is similar to Wyoming. The truth is, pine forests, mountain meadows, and prairies look the same no matter where you go. While there are some areas that may be different, they have the same basic look.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM

24 posts, read 55,510 times
I lived in New Mexico for 13 years and in some parts of Wyoming it looks alike. Mostly when you drive by what we called mesas, the rock formations and flat hills.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Yes, there are definately places in NM that are much the same as Wyoming.....

BUT..... haha

Knowing where the author lives, and knowing how he describes the areas in his books (and he does describe the area around his home), the TV show is nothing close to a lot of the area.

Now, having said that, the TV show does a better job of depicting the surrounding area of his books. I would rather live where Longmire lives than I would where the author lives. The TV show makes it much more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming