Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 04:10 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,233,997 times

Advertisements

we might mention that Rawlins has been hit especially hard in the recent years with the downturn in the extractive industries; ie, oil rig activity came to a standstill when new gov't leases were shut down by the current administration. What was previously a local "boom" cycle oil economy turned to a "bust" very rapidly ... an oft-told tale in the history of Wyoming economics.

I saw quite a few business fold up in the space of 2 years, and there were a lot of storefront vacancies in the core downtown business district.

Lusk, OTOH, never had much of a similar "boom" economy, so locating the prison there was a huge economic boost to the town ... on a much smaller scale than Rawlins' "boom" cycle from the extractive industry activity.

Both towns have access to outdoor recreation ... as is typical of so much of Wyoming, you'll be driving some distance to your activities. IMO, Lusk has an edge over Rawlins in this regard ... with access to the Black Hills of Wyoming (and SoDakota) to the north, and over to the Medicine Bow mountains to the west ... but again, that's my preferences in outdoor activities and access to other needs/wants in life.

The winter months weather shut down much of the outdoor recreation activities of either towns' area. Campgrounds, lakes, outdoor access close for the winter and much of the hospitality industry "closes for the season" every year.

Without knowing what your priorities/wants are for living situation, housing, medical, entertainment, price point for "land/house", it's difficult to give you a meaningful response as to which town would better suit your requirements.

As always, I'd urge you to visit both towns under consideration at least twice before making any decision about moving there ... once in the summer months and again in the winter months for at least a week to see the places from the perspective of a resident there.

Be prepared for either to be pretty basic, blue-collar working towns without a lot of amenities ... IMO, there's not much "there" there. What you get is primarily a place to make a living, a place to live, and opportunities to access the other things you want (outdoor recreation) by regional travel. IF it's any consideration for you, Rawlins has better access to hot springs via Thermopolis or Saratoga than you'll have opportunities from Lusk.

Noted above: "There IS Guernsey reservoir west of Lusk. And a good elk hunting area southwest of town. Some people from the area go to Scottsbluff if they are Walmart fans. There is some hill country with public access west of Lusk, too." Glendo Res is a little closer than Guernsey, and I've had a lot of good days there ... I prefer the open waters of Glendo. Scottsbluff is likely the main shopping access for folk in Lusk. Personally, if I was heading West of Lusk for recreation, the Grasslands ... where I've ridden my horses a fair number of days ... aren't as interesting as heading a bit further West to the Esterbrook area; but that's all a matter of what your priorities are for recreation ... there's a lot more fed and state land with woods and small lakes in the Medicine Bow area than attracts me to the rolling hills of the grasslands.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-25-2015 at 04:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 11:19 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,352,479 times
Yes, yes...when I mistakingly wrote 'Chadron is west of Lusk' I was THINKING of both Casper Wallmarts (east and west) and in the midst of 'comparing' the two in my mind, I allowed my fingers to get ahead of my brain...AND I forgot to proofread before hitting 'post quick reply'.

I'm trying a new brand of coffee that is WAY beyond my abilities (caffeine-wise)...and it's the full-moon...and my laptop is giving me fits...and I'm house-sitting for someone who'se dog is having puppies...and, and, and...etc...

Old 10-25-2015, 01:33 PM

47 posts, read 136,929 times
Corrections is the job. I am hoping that is a good decision to get into this line of work. I had been in construction all my life and just tired of doing it for a living. The recruiters I have met and talked to seem like real good people. I know you will never run out of work, always seems like a busy job. So it is a secure job I'm thinking. Is anyone here in corrections? Maybe some guidance on that.
Hunting is a great sport I believe, anything from rabbits to deer. That's what I have experience with. Snowmobiling is the best winter sport, to me. I have a couple yamaha bravos that I use for ice fishing, predator hunting, exploring and working to haul wood ect. Very dependable sleds. Fishing is another sport I enjoy also. I don't really have a specialty of what to fish, just about any fish is good to catch to me.
Now property, I prefer the smaller the town the better. Reason for living in Alaska, was the small community's it has to offer, as long as it isn't a town with major drug problems, like some in Alaska. I prefer the cold to the heat any day. Anyway, I would like to get a few acres and build a place on it, so when I'm done working I have a place for the solitude of everything else going on all around. I think Wyoming would be a good place to retire and that also plays a big part on which area is better.
That pretty much sums it up for what I'm looking for and what I like to do. Thanks for the many responses so far.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:12 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,302,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07chevy View Post
Corrections is the job. I am hoping that is a good decision to get into this line of work. I had been in construction all my life and just tired of doing it for a living. The recruiters I have met and talked to seem like real good people. I know you will never run out of work, always seems like a busy job. So it is a secure job I'm thinking. Is anyone here in corrections? Maybe some guidance on that.
Hunting is a great sport I believe, anything from rabbits to deer. That's what I have experience with. Snowmobiling is the best winter sport, to me. I have a couple yamaha bravos that I use for ice fishing, predator hunting, exploring and working to haul wood ect. Very dependable sleds. Fishing is another sport I enjoy also. I don't really have a specialty of what to fish, just about any fish is good to catch to me.
Now property, I prefer the smaller the town the better. Reason for living in Alaska, was the small community's it has to offer, as long as it isn't a town with major drug problems, like some in Alaska. I prefer the cold to the heat any day. Anyway, I would like to get a few acres and build a place on it, so when I'm done working I have a place for the solitude of everything else going on all around. I think Wyoming would be a good place to retire and that also plays a big part on which area is better.
That pretty much sums it up for what I'm looking for and what I like to do. Thanks for the many responses so far.
there must be tuner over at times , one can tell when people start asking about Rawlins, Lusk and Torrington on this board. But then you the first in quite awhile .

Old 10-26-2015, 04:01 PM

992 posts, read 2,375,034 times
I would also look at conveniences and housing costs. For what it's worth, we're in Powell and LOVE it. However, housing is a bit more here than say, Byron or Lovell (just 30 minutes away). Yet, we're still lower than Cody. We chose Powell because of the schools mostly.

I suffered a bit of sticker shock in the supermarkets and from house shopping. Additionally, fuel prices tend to be higher here. It's a trade off, because it's just beautiful up here and last week my husband bagged his first bull in Saratoga so our freezer is FULL! Nice for a family of 6. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else, but it took some getting used to for sure.

My husband passed through Rawlins last week on his way to Saratoga and said it was 'forgettable'. It did, however, have a Taco Bell which we don't have up here. LOL. I have a friend that's from Lusk and she loves it (she is from there, though). From what I have gathered from her, Lusk has a good sense of community (they banded together after the flooding last spring).

Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,254,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07chevy View Post
... I prefer the smaller the town the better. Reason for living in Alaska, was the small community's it has to offer, as long as it isn't a town with major drug problems, like some in Alaska. I prefer the cold to the heat any day. Anyway, I would like to get a few acres and build a place on it, so when I'm done working I have a place for the solitude of everything else going on all around. I think Wyoming would be a good place to retire and that also plays a big part on which area is better.
Sounds like Lusk might be the better pick for you, based on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming