Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 19,496 times

Advertisements

What do i need to know when applying for a ccw in wyoming?Do i take the coarse first? Then i have some older firearms that i want to use ccw.Do i need to have each one registered first? Then take the coarse,then go to the sheriff office to apply? any help here? 05chop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:58 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
The very first place to go, is the Sheriff's office. They will give you a small package giving you all the paperwork you have to fill out. And a list of exactly what you have to do. i.e. Take a class, get finger printed, etc...

As far as registering a firearm, you do not need to register anything. You can take the class with any pistol you so choose. The course gives you some training on Wyoming and Federal law and then has you demonstrate proficiency with the weapon. You have to furnish your own ammo. The proficiency is geared more to watching to make sure you handle the weapon safely.

Once the class is completed and all the paperwork is turned in. And you pay. then about 60 days later your CCW will arrive at the Sheriff's office and they will call you to come pick it up. From that point on, you can use any pistol you want for carry. Doesn't have to be the one you used in class, can be anything your heart desires. haha As long as it's a legal weapon.

In some of the counties, because of lack of trained instructors, the Sheriff will wave that requirement and allow a Hunters Safety Card. You'll need proof of Hunters Safety anyhow if you plan on doing any hunting.

When you get your CCW, printed on the back, is a list of places you cannot conceal. ie. courtroom, school, place that sells alcohol for consumsion on the spot and so on.

Oh, one of the requirements and it tells you in the paperwork, is that you have to stop by DMV and get your picture taken. That will be the picture that will show on your CCW.

Also, if you've recently been discharged from the military (6 months I believe) or if you are National Guard, Navy Reserve, Marine Reserve, etc, they will wave the requirement for the Class on proficiency. That's what I did.

I picked up my package on a Wednesday. Filled out everything, had picture taken and could have turned it in that same day. But here, at that time, the Sheriff only did fingerprints on Thursdays. So the next morning I had fingerprints taken and turned everything in. Simple as that.

Hope that helped. Be happy to answer any other questions you have.

EH.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:12 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
In Laramie County, which is where you're located, there's a few differences from ElKHunter's location:

The proficiency part of the CCW course is conducted in the downtown Cheyenne Sheriff's department basement indoor range (what a super facility ... wish I could get a season pass to use that place) ... and they allow you to bring your own firearm(s) or they'll supply many different ones for you to try out (revolvers, autoloaders ... from a .22 through a 9mm or .357 with a mild load). They supply the range ammo, so they know the loads are "safe" in their range facility. I brought in several different pistols/calibers for my wife to try out under the instructors supervision, and I got to try out a whole bunch of different pistols I'd never shot before. It was a lot of fun and a good learning experience for my wife, too ... who was already a very good shot but improved with the professional instruction at the time.

The Sheriff's office will only accept exact amount CASH for the permit application, so be forewarned that you won't be writing a check or using a credit card when you apply for the permit. I recall needing about $83 for my application. There's limited times through the week that they will allow you to apply and these seem to coincide with "visiting hours" for the jail facility there ... so you may wind up having to wait in the lobby for awhile after you check in, as they may be busy processing visitors in/out which takes precedence over your application.

Even if you qualify as exempt from some of the course requirements, I strongly urge you to take the whole class. There's a lot of information of value there to you as a citizen exercising your rights in Wyoming to CCW, and Wyoming's laws are different than many other states.

You do not need a Hunter Safety Card to hunt in Wyoming if you're older ... I don't recall what the cut-off date is for the requirement, but I qualify for the exemption and have never been asked for that credential in Wyoming. I did, however, take the NRA Hunter Safety class as a youngster, and suggest that it's a good class to take ... but it isn't necessarily needed to hunt here if you're older than the cut-off date.

Most importantly, there is no firearm registration in Wyoming. If it's legal to own it, you can buy it. Having the CCW permit expedites your purchase(s) at a licensed gun dealer, since it shows that you are in the system.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Sunsprit,

If I remember correctly, if you were born before 1965, the hunter safety course is not required. Not real sure though.

But yes, I agree on both. Take the Hunter Safety Course and the Proficiency CCW course. Both have excellent information.

I was exempt, and got my CCW. Then about 6 months later, took the course just because it covered the gun laws and do's and don'ts.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Well this helps thanks alot for the info thanks again

Old 06-10-2008, 03:21 PM

I went today to the sheriff dept picked up forms.They no longer have training in the basement.Tue,wed,Thur, 7-30AM-430 pm they are open.I was told i have to go take hunter safely course . Well i didn't go to this class grandfathered into it.Now they told me that game and fish or Lccc have the hand gun course.Not sure where i go to get mug shot though.Also when all paper work is done then you pay the 79.00 a wait sixty days after completeing the ccw permit application.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:28 PM

You get your picture taken the same place you get your drivers license.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:38 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Bummer, sorry to hear that they don't do the training in the Sheriff's range anymore. It's really a first class facility ... all automated targets/transports, sound deadening materials on the walls and ceiling, superb lighting. Your tax dollars at work for the finest in a training facility.

The Driver's License facility where you get your picture taken is at the complex just West off of I-25 and Central Ave, on the South side.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Checked with g/f dept /LCCC Gun safety all full till Oct.Decided to go to front range in Loveland for there course 150.00 bucks.So I'm i correct that sheriff dept doesn't do photos then? Can i go to Walgreen's they do photos for passports?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM

No, it has to be done where you get your drivers license because it's then in the State Computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: