Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:28 AM

63 posts, read 186,896 times

Advertisements

For what it is worth, the last data I heard from a big time law enforcement meth expert was that most of the meth was coming in from Mexico. Less and less being cooked stateside due to the difficulty of getting the raw chemicals. So good news and bad news, the meth is still here, (bad) but it is not being made here (good).

Most of the drugs siezed in Wyoming come from stops made on I-80 which is the main east west interstate. Amazingly enough they catch speeders, with out of date plates, and no drivers license, who don't speak English, who are drinking or smoking dope while driving, and they ask if they can search the trunk, the transport driver says OK and they find coke, etc.

Never saw heroin in the school I worked at, never seized crack or crack pipes or coke, or meth at the same place, over the course of 30 plus years maybe we seized pot 20 times.

The drug dog checks every few months, and never finds any drugs at my HS.

Drugs are a minor problem in Wyoming. Booze is a much bigger issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
The amounts recovered in arrests seem to indicate there isn't very much being found. 0.3 kgs!!!

I agree booze is probably a more serious problem. Heavy drinking was pretty common when I was in high school. I don't know if that has changed much.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 PM

276 posts, read 792,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb_wy View Post
Perhaps in Sheridan, but I teach in Goshen County Schools and used to teach in Albany County Schools, and both frequently hired out-of-state applicants. I was out-of-state when Albany hired me. Goshen has MANY new teachers this year from out-of-state, and many older, more expensive teachers. Not sure what your content areas are, but perhaps Sheridan had lots of applicants in those areas that year. Or maybe Sheridan does prefer in-state, younger teachers.

If you really interested, try again. Here's a few links. There are already lots of jobs listed.
www.wsba-wy.org/teach.html (http://www.wsba-wy.org/teach.html - broken link)
UW: Education Job Listing Search
I am experiencing essentially the same situation; however, I wonder if after applying that I may indeed have too much education (MA English and MA Education). I am also a bit older. I have applied to several districts since I am licensed in several other states ( CA, et al) in both English as well as social sciences. Unfortunately, I have received no replies thus far.
I continued my education while caring for elderly parents in FL. I am willing to move any place in WY. I'm sure weary after filling out so many applications (and blind after gazing at this screen). I contacted one very rural district by email for information. The district did not have an online application. I thought perhaps they could send me an application. I wasn't even afforded the courtesy of a reply to my email even though I fit the job description opening perfectly. Personally, I prefer a very rural area.
Of course, I am fully cognizant of the fact that there is great competition for jobs; consequently, replying to all applicants would be a difficult task. Nonetheless, I just don't understand it when a person requesting some info or application materials is ignored.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
I am experiencing essentially the same situation; however, I wonder if after applying that I may indeed have too much education (MA English and MA Education). I am also a bit older. I have applied to several districts since I am licensed in several other states ( CA, et al) in both English as well as social sciences. Unfortunately, I have received no replies thus far.
I continued my education while caring for elderly parents in FL. I am willing to move any place in WY. I'm sure weary after filling out so many applications (and blind after gazing at this screen). I contacted one very rural district by email for information. The district did not have an online application. I thought perhaps they could send me an application. I wasn't even afforded the courtesy of a reply to my email even though I fit the job description opening perfectly. Personally, I prefer a very rural area.
Of course, I am fully cognizant of the fact that there is great competition for jobs; consequently, replying to all applicants would be a difficult task. Nonetheless, I just don't understand it when a person requesting some info or application materials is ignored.
I don't know about other districts, but I know ours (Campbell County) hires people from all over the country with all kinds of education. In fact, a gal I work with came from out of state and had a MA in Reading, MA in Spec. Ed., and MA in Admin. and she was hired in our SPED department. So don't get discouraged. You are right about the # of applicants...there are tons, and I was told that it is very cost prohibitive to reply to so many people....not so much the cost of a letter, but the manpower time it takes to reply to all of those apps. I know it can be very frustrating waiting, and then nothing comes. I've been there! Just keep trying and try to make yourself "stand out in a crowd"! Best of luck to you.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,845 times
Default Community College?

Quote:
Just found an Education Instructor Faculty position at EWC in Torrington, WY on the national Higher Ed Jobs website. They want someone with a Masters in Education.

EWC: Education Instructor - Jobs

Old 03-27-2010, 09:40 AM

276 posts, read 792,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I don't know about other districts, but I know ours (Campbell County) hires people from all over the country with all kinds of education. In fact, a gal I work with came from out of state and had a MA in Reading, MA in Spec. Ed., and MA in Admin. and she was hired in our SPED department. So don't get discouraged. You are right about the # of applicants...there are tons, and I was told that it is very cost prohibitive to reply to so many people....not so much the cost of a letter, but the manpower time it takes to reply to all of those apps. I know it can be very frustrating waiting, and then nothing comes. I've been there! Just keep trying and try to make yourself "stand out in a crowd"! Best of luck to you.
Thank you! I will just keep attempting to secure a position!!

Old 03-27-2010, 06:30 PM

79 posts, read 143,772 times
Quote:
Thank you! I will just keep attempting to secure a position!!
State jobs, including teaching, are highly sought after and highly competitive, especially in mostly rural places such as WY. In fact, at the top of the list of new hire potentials are 2nd and 3rd generation natives. Aside from the resort towns, the more rural ones are very tight knit and justifiably protective. Your resume had better be top notch and/or you'll need good "connections" to be considered for such jobs. Best of luck!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:45 PM

63 posts, read 186,896 times
I asked a principal if my district responded to applicant in any way unless they were getting an interview and she said we did not. Maybe a simple change needs to be made in my district. We are now fully on line, and it might be reatively easy to send out a thankyou for applying email. I hope we can do that. It is just common courtisy.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:32 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
I asked a principal if my district responded to applicant in any way unless they were getting an interview and she said we did not. Maybe a simple change needs to be made in my district. We are now fully on line, and it might be reatively easy to send out a thankyou for applying email. I hope we can do that. It is just common courtisy.

I want to say I did get a thank you last year from Lander when I applied. At least they emailed me at one point. But I think this is common practice all over the US.. I didn't hear back from most places I applied to last year. Just hope to hear something this year

Old 04-01-2010, 11:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Just wanted to pass along that I visited with a couple from Billings last night who told me that their daughter just got a teaching job in Sheridan. She is a new teacher. So, as I've said before, sometimes new teachers are hired, sometimes veteran's....it just depends on "what" the school is looking for and who they feel is best for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming