Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times

Advertisements

35.016514,-81.011146

I believe that's where the raw water intake is for Rock Hill's drinking water supply.

It's awfully close to Tega Cay.

Wasn't 100,000 gallons of sewage dumped into the lake recently?

Is anyone going to tell me that untreated, raw, sewage didn't make it's way into our water supply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
35.016514,-81.011146

I believe that's where the raw water intake is for Rock Hill's drinking water supply.

Sorry can't help you with that one? But I can tell you it will depend on where you live and where your water is coming from.

It's awfully close to Tega Cay.

Wasn't 100,000 gallons of sewage dumped into the lake recently?

According to Tega Cay Water Service/TCWS (Utilities Inc.) it is “partially treated wastewater” that has found its way into Lake Wylie once again.

I might also mention that after the 100,000 gallons that you speak of there was also a 50,000 spill too. I have lost tract of how many times this has occurred since the beginning of the year (2013).

Is anyone going to tell me that untreated, raw, sewage didn't make it's way into our water supply?
FINALLY: S.C. regulators demand action in wake of Tega Cay sewer spills | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC

On Wednesday the state Office of Regulatory Staff filed a petition with the state Public Service Commission calling for “immediate steps” to improve water and sewer service to customers. It cites spills of 50,000 to 100,000 gallons of wastewater this year “on at least three occasions in multiple lactations.”

The Tega Cay Citizen Advisory Council, a group of residents tracking such problems for use against the company in rate cases, says there have been at least a half dozen spills so far this year.

“The customers of Tega Cay deserve better than what this utility is currently providing,” said Dukes Scott, executive director of the Office of Regulatory Staff.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
This happens more often than people think. If the citizen advisory group says there have been at least half a dozen spills this year ... it's just May 8.

Rock Hill residents public water is from the Catawba River. I think Lake Wylie and Tega Cay have private companies providing water and sewage. At one time Carolina Water Services handled Lake Wylie if I recall their name correctly. I don't know if they still have that contract for Lake Wylie. But I don't know where private companies get their water.

We have our own well and septic tank ... the best water ever. My dad lived in the city of RH and would come out here and fill up a gallon jug of my water. We have had our water tested several times over the years and I could bottle it and sell it.

NDL, when you look for a home to purchase ... try to find one without a community well and sewage ... your own septic tank and well is best.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM

197 posts, read 278,534 times
Even if sewage did make it near the water intake, the water is treated...so the answer is...no

Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
“The customers of Tega Cay deserve better than what this utility is currently providing,” said Dukes Scott, executive director of the Office of Regulatory Staff.[/b]
It's encouraging to see that people are taking action.

It boggles my mind that we send tens of millions (billions) around the world in aid, yet our own infrastructure needs work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We have our own well and septic tank ... the best water ever. My dad lived in the city of RH and would come out here and fill up a gallon jug of my water. We have had our water tested several times over the years and I could bottle it and sell it.

NDL, when you look for a home to purchase ... try to find one without a community well and sewage ... your own septic tank and well is best.
Excellent advice

I've had well water from the Mt Holly area, and it is indeed good

Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
Even if sewage did make it near the water intake, the water is treated...so the answer is...no
I am not comfortable with that, but for the time being, I don't have much choice.

Treated sewage cannot be used for drinking water. Therefore, I don't know what the difference is between drinking treated sewage -vs- tap water that's extracted from raw sewage.

The standards for waste water effluent and drinking water are different, but the thought of raw sewage is nasty.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:01 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
yes we are drinking treated sewer water. but if you ever saw what they do to clean it. its cleaner than any fresh water brook or stream you can find. its pure water

Old 06-13-2014, 05:28 PM

850 posts, read 2,650,980 times
Yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties