Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times

Advertisements

Just pointing out that if people wish to have a private board on CD, they can form a "social group." Anybody can read the posts, but the groups can have private membership, allow only members to post, and appoint their own moderators. These boards are not monitored by CD moderators; however, the Terms of Service still apply and moderators respond to reported complaints.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/groups/

If you've never been there, look for Social Groups in the Quick Links drop-down menu at the top of the page.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-09-2013 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: This is important enough for its own thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Thanks, Julia! I didn't even think of this .....

Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
My pleasure. I posted on CD for a couple years before stumbling upon them. They are tucked into a weird spot and easy to forget.

Also, to start a new group, the Create a New Group link is all the way at the bottom, not at the top like the New Thread button in the forums.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM

89 posts, read 125,731 times
Thanks JustJulia! It's not easy to spot. There's also a link to "Social Groups" at the bottom of forum pages but not in the threads.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Thanks Julia! I've been a member for quite a while and I was unaware of this option. I don't think I am the only one.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
so what is the purpose? If we want to promote and give information about adoption to those interested how would a "private" group accomplish that?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 AM

89 posts, read 125,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
so what is the purpose? If we want to promote and give information about adoption to those interested how would a "private" group accomplish that?
It wouldn't, that isn't the intent. If an individual wants to inform, best place for a post would be the open boards. It was brought up in another thread that one poster preferred a support forum here rather than an open discussion forum. The open public format isn't very supportive of that, as absolutely anyone can comment. A private room gives members the chance to seek support for a specific issue without the worry of comments by others that are not supportive.

What is the purpose? It could have any. What if members wanted to meet in real life? How could they exchange info as a group? DMs would be a pain if ten people wanted to discuss dinner plans. They could form a social group, make their plans and even delete the group after it served its purpose. I think the only limit to what purposes a private group could be used for would be one's imagination.

Click on your name in the upper right, then click on 'Join Social Groups' in the lower right. A quick scan shows a wide range of purposes. Few related directly to adoption, but there are currently three groups for adoptive parents, one for biological parents and one newly created one for adoptees, as there wasn't one when I looked.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,840 times
The term 'private' isn't exactly descriptive -- anyone can read what gets posted there.
It's a place where only those people approved by the creator/administrator can post.
Like Scott_K said - the purpose and the criteria for approval to post are as many as there are people who start them .

Old 02-03-2016, 02:33 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times
how do u delete a grp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption